Holiday Vs. Ecstasy- Help Us!

timeforabreak

We are already booked for a January cruise out on the Ecstasy out of Galveston. After looking at Progresso, I'm not so excited about it. I just looked and saw the the Holiday out of Mobile (which is about the same drive for us) goes to Calica. I understand the water is prettier there, we would like to snorkel. Both itineraries include Cozumel, which we love. I've read some reviews on both ships and it seems people are much more fond of Ecstasy than Holiday. Since, it's still not too late to change our minds, I was wondering about people's opinons... if they thought it would be worth it to go on the smaller Holiday, better itinerary, or Ecstasy. We have two kids, 11 and 13. Anyone care to give me their opinon? Thanks in advance!

The Ecstasy is a newer ship. The Holiday I believe is being sold so it wouldnt be available much longer unless another ship replaces it.

Iv been on the Ecstasy of the two ships, so I cant compare. Holiday is sure a lot cheaper huh?

Im booked for 1/26/08, when in January are you booked?

We are already booked for a January cruise out on the Ecstasy out of Galveston. After looking at Progresso, I'm not so excited about it. I just looked and saw the the Holiday out of Mobile (which is about the same drive for us) goes to Calica. I understand the water is prettier there, we would like to snorkel. Both itineraries include Cozumel, which we love. I've read some reviews on both ships and it seems people are much more fond of Ecstasy than Holiday. Since, it's still not too late to change our minds, I was wondering about people's opinons... if they thought it would be worth it to go on the smaller Holiday, better itinerary, or Ecstasy. We have two kids, 11 and 13. Anyone care to give me their opinon? Thanks in advance!

I have been on the Ecstasy twice. The first time was my first cruise, my mom and I did a tour of Merida city, and I HATED it and swore that I would never go on a cruise that stopped in Progresso again! The port is unlike any other port you have ever seen. It is very unusual looking, it is 2 miles long, there are huge chunks of cement piled up all along the 2 mile pier, obviously to protect the pier, Im sure, but it is such an eyesore. However, this past september i went on the Ecstasy with my 18 year old son, and he stayed on the ship that day, and I booked a beach break excursion that had all drinks and food included. They bused us to this beautiful resort area with 2 beautiful pools, a large private beach with lots of lounge chairs, etc. It was nice, but i have to say that there were a few people who felt the need to drink themselves into oblivion, and one couple later on the bus ride back to the ship actually started cussing each other out, even though there were a couple of young teens on the bus with their parents! Not very classy! I'm not sure i would take kids on that excursion, but you COULD if you stayed on the beach away from the areas where more people might be drinking and getting loud and drunk. This resort completely changed my mind about ever going to Progresso again, and I would definitely do that excursion again, mostly because of the free food and free drinks, plus i just liked laying on a chair, reading and people watching!! I love the layout of Ecstasy, never been on the Holiday before.

If you are going for the ship I would pick the Ecstasy. If you are going for the Ports I would lean toward the Holiday.

We just got back for Progreso/Merida a few weeks ago and while it was a nice port I definitely enjoyed Playa del Carmen much better. Even though it rained the majority of the time in PDC we had a great time. Ave 5 is a walking mall with just about everything you could wish for.

You will need to take a cab from the port to PDC but it is very easy to navigate once there. Bypass the shopping and beach excursion offered by Carnival as it is just a tourist trap with several roadside stops at some markets and the jewelry factory.

This is just my opinion, but as far as the ships themselves go for the Ecstasy!

Welldeserved, I see you are a member of PCD. I have followed the advice for the alleviation of PCD symptoms, but now have to inform of CCD (Cruise Countdown Disorder)!!! I find that CC helps, but that now I can't stop thinking about the cruise to come!! Any advice?

I've never been to Progresso - so I cant say there ... but, here is what I can say:

I've been on both ships and I will take the Ecstacy over the Holiday any day ... I hated the Holiday (now many people love her because she is older and smaller), but I hated her for those reasons and all the things that come with "older and smaller."

My cruise on the Ecstacy is what got us hooked on cruising ... LOVE LOVE LOVE THAT SHIP!

If itinerary is your concern, I can also say this:

I LOVE CALICA too ... both times we went with a private tour guide from Edventures and had an action packed trip ... snorkeling in a cenote, Tulum, zip lining, snorkeling at Akumal lagoon, snorkeling in Turtle bay ... we just had a blast. On both our cruises - the Holiday and the Ecstacy, our excursions to CALICA was the highlight of our cruise!

I think you have to choose what you think your family will enjoy more. On our first cruise, the Ecstacy, we didnt take our kids, so I cant comment on their Camp Carnival. But neither of our kids were really impressed with Camp Carnival on the Holiday. My oldest son 13, tried to go twice, but the events were never coordinated well. After that he never went back. My youngest son, 8 at the time, enjoyed several of the events they had, but a few times he begged us not to go back. He seemed to like the sleepover parties and a few of the daytime activities, but mostly in the day, he wanted to be in the arcade or at the swimming pool.

Either way ... I'm sure your family will have a blast!

We are booked on the Holiday for December 8th and Carnival emailed us that we would be going to Progreso instead of Costa Maya (after Dean hit).

So our 2 ports for that cruise are Cozumel and Progreso.

Archived