Over the door shoe organizer

I've seen them at Dollar General for $2.99, and at the Dollar Tree for, you guessed it, $1.00. That may sound el-cheap-o, but you only use them a few times a year. We've used ours 4 times now and it is still good for several more cruises at least. :) . Bombero

Mine came from Walmart, and I believe it was $5 or 6. It covers the whole door and has two large pockets at the bottom meant for pocketbooks -- that was nice because papers fit inside.

I tried the dollar store, but the only ones I could find had only one hanger-type hook in the middle of the top. That meant that I'd have to have a robe hook on the back of the door to use it, and I feared that the top might "topple in" toward the hanger.

In contrast, the one I bought has two hooks that slip over the door top, so it'll work on any door.

Keep looking! The shoe holder is a great storage item for cruises and other vacations, and it's worth the effort!

Well, I'm going to hit the new Dollar General in my hometown and see if they have one. If not, I'll go hit Walgreens or Target. Thanks for all the good advice!! :) I figured I could find one of these pretty cheap somewhere!

-erica

I ask this question because if you are travelling with only one other person in your cabin, you probably do not need it. We have used these in the past if we are sharing a cabin with our two kids, there is so much more clutter with four people in a cabin. When there are only two of us, it's not necessary.

The type that hangs inside the closet may be better for two, only for shoes, to keep them off the floor. We always take one of these, a cheap plastic one from Target. There will be more than enough room for toiletries for 2 people on the bathroom shelves. Pare your list down to the items you cannot go without for the week or so, you will be glad not to have the extra clutter to haul around.

I travelled last year with only my husband, and we got plenty of use out of ours. I got the one mentioned by Mrs. Pete at Wal-Mart, and if nothing else, the time we saved not having to look for things was worth the $6. (I recommend the clear plastic ones, because you can see everything at a glance.) Now when a friend goes on a cruise, I always try to get them one, and have had only compliments and thanks.

We used it for suntan lotion, show tickets, sunglasses, basically anything that you would ordinarily put down somewhere, and since you are not at home, not be sure where you left it. I've told people it saved our vacation, and I was only half kidding.

I travelled last year with only my husband, and we got plenty of use out of ours. I got the one mentioned by Mrs. Pete at Wal-Mart, and if nothing else, the time we saved not having to look for things was worth the $6. (I recommend the clear plastic ones, because you can see everything at a glance.) Now when a friend goes on a cruise, I always try to get them one, and have had only compliments and thanks.

We used it for suntan lotion, show tickets, sunglasses, basically anything that you would ordinarily put down somewhere, and since you are not at home, not be sure where you left it. I've told people it saved our vacation, and I was only half kidding.

I 100% agree. When I travelled with my sister we found it so much easier to exist in our closet size room with the shoe holder. We even used it for notes on where we can be found. We both knew where to look for things.

I finally found one at a 99 cent store. Dollar General didn't have them nor did Dollar Tree. Walmart had them for nearly $6. But the 99 cent store had it and it was perfect. Just plastic and cheap but perfect for a cruise. And, it's so cheap, you can leave it in the room at the end of your cruise if you don't want to haul it back home in your luggage.

We left ours behind on our last cruise; figured our steward could put it to good use, since their rooms are VERY small. Besides, those things always take more room if you try to fold it yourself, and we needed the room in our luggage for souvenirs.

I'll have to scout the dollar stores - I give them as bon voyage gifts!

I checked the Dollar Store and Dollar General and neither had one.....The only other place I found one was at Walgreens for $6. I was hoping to find one cheaper...dangit! Seems alot to spend on a hanger!!!

eb

I have bought one to take on my cruise on the Royal Princess out of Beijing in Nov. I was wondering if the closet door is all the way up to the ceiling does the hooks fit over and can you reach all the items (I am kind of short)? Might not be an issue but I was looking at the 360 view of the room and it seems the doors are full length. Any comments?

Well I caved in and bought the shoe organizer from Walgreens for $6! I figured I'll take it home and use it at home. And I'll use it again if we go on another cruise (which I'm sure we will after going on our first one next year!!).

Mintjulip- I'm assuming it must fit over some door if everyone is taking them! Maybe it's a different door....anyone? anyone??

-erica

Well I caved in and bought the shoe organizer from Walgreens for $6! I figured I'll take it home and use it at home. And I'll use it again if we go on another cruise (which I'm sure we will after going on our first one next year!!).

-erica

My GOD woman!!! You have spent 10 days obsessing over a $6 item for a cruise you are not taking for 9 months????

TAKE A DEEP BREATH........RELAX......

I am sure you are very excited........but you would do so much better not sweating the small stuff......

ENJOY!!:) :)

You all are too funny! We have always just bought one or two from the Dollar Tree when we cruised DCL. Their bathrooms are small but you have 2 and it was nice to be organized and not have clutter all over the vanity area or to have to put stuff away constantly. I put one in for my DH's stuff in the one bath and the second for my stuff in the 2nd bathroom. Of course- we only had the 6 pocket ones. How large are the bathrooms on the Mariner- we are in a JS. Don't know if this makes a difference or not. We also left ours on for our room steward.

Archived