Explorer Live Now And Then

Hi Suzanne,

Glad you are enjoying your cruise. Hope you can answer this question for me.

On the Disabled Cruisers board, someone asked if it is true that RCCL is now posting signs or informing guests at check in to allow handicapped people (wheel chairs, scooters, guide dogs, etc.) priority use of the elevators. Have you seen or heard anything about this?

Since I use a scooter, this would be wonderful news albeit probably not true. I am sure there are others who would like to know the answer to this question.

Thanks again for all of your work....

Sheryl

OMG!!!! If this is true - I will be sooooooooooooooo happy!!!! That was a nightmare situation at times when we were on our cruise in August. Do tell Suzanne!!!! If it's true - maybe it's possible that letters to RCCI offering suggestions really do help!

We're on the December cruise with you & your family. I have found that

scooters take 1st place for an elevator. Most (not all) will let the

scooter, wheelchair, etc. on - even when they were the last to arrive.

As a rule, we humans are pretty good about this. We might be there

someday. I do not know what is "the formal rule".

See you on 12/14. I hope we get a get together the 1st day.

joann

Joann -

I wish more people were as understanding as you are!!! I use a scooter and my son is in a wheelchair. We could both ride in the same elevator along with 3-5 other people - BUT there was RARELY a time when we did that because so many people would push ahead of us to get into an elevator as soon as it arrived even though we had both been waiting for quite some time. I would send my son first along with my husband and get another one for myself. There were times they would have to wait 10-15 minutes for me because of people pushing ahead of me. I would even say something like "Please, my husband and son have been waiting for quite some time for me to meet them and I have been waiting for quite some time for this elevator" to which some people would say things like "My family's waiting for me too." UGH UGH UGH I wanted to say - "Yeah - BUT you just got here!!!!!"

OMG!!!! If this is true - I will be sooooooooooooooo happy!!!! That was a nightmare situation at times when we were on our cruise in August. Do tell Suzanne!!!! If it's true - maybe it's possible that letters to RCCI offering suggestions really do help!

Hi, Lynn. Are you saying people didn't give priority folks using scooters, chairs, or walkers? That's just outrageous. What in the world has happened to simple common courtesy? :eek:

I'm assuming, Suzanne, you'd like me to post the menus for each day - so here's the menu for day two -

Captain's Gala (CG) / Formal

Orange Carpaccio Orange slices, red onion, watercress, feta cheese, and cumin mint yogurt

Shrimp Cocktail Royal Chilled shrimp served with Royal cocktail sauce

Escargots Bourguignonne Baked snails in garlic-herb butter

Lobster Bisque Finished with Cognac and whipped cream

Oxtail Broth Beefy broth and aged sherry, served with a crispy cheese twist

Chilled Golden Pear Garnished with dried cranberries

Caesar Salad Crisp romaine lettuce, shaved Parmesan, and herb croutons Caesar dressing

Truffled Wild Mushroom Linguini Alfredo Linguini pasta folded in a creamy wild mushroom and white truffle sauce

Golden Sea Bass Pan-seared fillet, Spanish sofrito, black olive polenta, and fried capers

Roasted Duck With black currant sauce, red cabbage, and croquette potatoes

SD - Filet of Beef Creamy whipped potatoes and crimini mushrooms with green peppercorn sauce

Eggplant Mozzarella Tower With chunky plum tomato sauce and balsamic glaze

Mashed potatoes, baked potato, rice and vegetable of the day

Linguini with Marinara Sauce

Broiled Fillet of Norwegian Salmon

Grilled Chicken Breast with seasonal herbs

Grilled Black Angus Top Sirloin with Herb Butter

Grand Marnier Soufflé Airy egg white and Grand Marnier pastry cream dessert

Double Strawberry Cheesecake Luscious strawberry and cream cheese cake

Cherries Jubilee Vanilla ice cream topped with warm red cherries, in a Kirsch-spiked sauce

Low-fat Double Strawberry Cheesecake Luscious strawberry and low-fat cream cheese cake

Sugar-free Coconut Vanilla Layer Cake With Tahithian vanilla mousse and roasted coconut

i have pics but we'll have to post when I get home due to speed of internet! But I have them loaded on my laptop already! :D

I'll be anxious to see them! However, not too soon - we want you to be able to savor every moment of your cruise!:D

Being that we are in the same cabin I would ask you to stash away some cookies before you leave for my late night snacks. However, I'm afraid they might be a bit hard by April, lol!:rolleyes:

Hi, Lynn. Are you saying people didn't give priority folks using scooters, chairs, or walkers? That's just outrageous. What in the world has happened to simple common courtesy? :eek:

Unfortunately it was very true. About 2/3 of the people were good most of the time - although it would take some dirty looks for some. But the other third really didn't care that we had been waiting for quite some time or that we were first or that they were being rude. If the walked up to an elevator and the doors opened - they would jump in! I've only had to use a scooter for about the last 6 years because of a bad back but my son has used a walker from the time he started to walk (he has cerebral palsy). He uses a wheelchair on vacations. We've reached the point now that we understand that some people are just born rude - while others just need some reminding sometimes about manners.

Unfortunately it was very true. About 2/3 of the people were good most of the time - although it would take some dirty looks for some. But the other third really didn't care that we had been waiting for quite some time or that we were first or that they were being rude. If the walked up to an elevator and the doors opened - they would jump in! I've only had to use a scooter for about the last 6 years because of a bad back but my son has used a walker from the time he started to walk (he has cerebral palsy). He uses a wheelchair on vacations. We've reached the point now that we understand that some people are just born rude - while others just need some reminding sometimes about manners.

Wow, people never cease to amaze me. :rolleyes: Even after many years working in customer service-type jobs, I am still appalled so many times. Even my daughters, who are 5 and 7, know better. I hope you have a better experience on your next cruise.

Christie, I'll be back to get you no later than Sunday! LOL! Tell Terri that and she'll pass out!:D Hope all is well on the 10/26 and tell them I said Hi!

Uh oh....no fight-provoking words now! There's already some Red Sox fans going overboard next weekend, I don't want to add you to the list because you upset Terri too much! LOL :p

Hi all! A note to those who will be going on a back to back soon on the Explorer. If you have access to the concierge he will handle it for you, you can tell him you want to stay on the ship and you will fill out a customs form and he'll take care of it. Ricky is the best! You may also go to Guest Relations and ask to speak to the GR Manager and he will take care of it for you. So we WILL be staying on the ship this time:)

What a beautiful warm night in Bermuda! We had a nice dinner in the Windjammer but apparently so did most people! Our secret is out and many enjoyed the Windjammer tonight. :) We than took a walk up to the bow of the ship and hopefully got some great pictures of the Dockyard lights. We did go up to the buffet around midnight but we were too full to eat. They had buffets on both sides of the ship and although it was crowded the lines seems to flow smoothly without any problems. The pool bad had many dancing and singing and it was a lot of fun:D Several people were also enjoying the hot tubs and peace and quiet of the Solarium this evening. Very late tonight Deb and I went to the CL where she checked her email and had a cup of tea:) We are all a little tired from being in the hot sun today so the ship is quiet now. The cafe was jumping tonight though despite the buffet going on upstairs. Tomorrow we will do my favorite thing and relax in the Dockyard and visit the glass factory and relax at Snorkel Park. BBL:p

Uh oh....no fight-provoking words now! There's already some Red Sox fans going overboard next weekend, I don't want to add you to the list because you upset Terri too much! LOL :p

LOL! I KNOW Terri would fly to Bermuda and drag the ship and I back home if she had to!

BTW All new pool carpet was installed also! :D

Just a few quick highlights for Day 4 in Bermuda.

The show tonight is Vibeology show times 7 pm and 9 pm.

Street Party 70's style will be held on the Promanade at 10:15. Quest will be held in Studio B at 11pm adults only. Drink of the day is the Caribbean Cooler 7.75 and we sail for home at 5pm ( MAYBE:D )

Hi Suzanne,

Glad you are enjoying your cruise. Hope you can answer this question for me.

On the Disabled Cruisers board, someone asked if it is true that RCCL is now posting signs or informing guests at check in to allow handicapped people (wheel chairs, scooters, guide dogs, etc.) priority use of the elevators. Have you seen or heard anything about this?

Since I use a scooter, this would be wonderful news albeit probably not true. I am sure there are others who would like to know the answer to this question.

Thanks again for all of your work....

Sheryl

Hi Sheryl, I'm sorry but I did not see any signs posted at check in or onboard but it's a good thought!:) There are many people onboard that have scooters but as usual everyone just goes into elevators together. I will definitely keep my ears open though to see if anyone knows about it:) I also suggest that you call RCCL Special Needs Dept. to see what they say also

Suzanne, Glad to hear the cruise is going well. Sounds like you are having a great time; sorry to hear about Deb's computer problems. But that is why I write, cybercabin. I understand there are limited kits so it is important to get one immediately upon boarding. Is it dialup with a cable that needs to be plugged in? I assume if dialup it must be reasonably quick, right? And what is the cost.

Again, glad you are having a great time! McPokey continues to be bad, regardless of what he says here! :eek: But everyone else going on about their usual business.

Yes, there are peanut butter cookies also on this cruise!

Oh, you have to hide some for me! I'm okay with you leaving a large plate of them in our GS. ;)

So what was that you said? You're coming back early Thursday to pick us up? Oh, you're just too kind!

Have a great day,

Carol

aqhacruiser --

thanks so much for the updates! 11 days til I'm on the Explorer (for the first time) and I'm living vicariously through you right now! I love Bermuda. Would you say it was warm enough to do the beach? I'm hoping we can get in a little beach time in 2 weeks...

For all of you lucky Royal Explorers sailing on the Explorer next week -- feel free to hide a cookie or two in #7688 for me!

happyfamilynj

We had a nice dinner in the Windjammer but apparently so did most people! Our secret is out and many enjoyed the Windjammer tonight. :)

Well, I am very sorry to hear that. The Windjammer has been a great evening secret as far as I'm concerned.

Archived