Stroller question!

sas80

We currently have 2 strollers - a Graco "carry everything, kitchen sink included" and a simple umbrella stroller (free with purchase of $100 from babies r us!)

DS does not look comfortable in the umbrella stroller, but the big Graco just isn't practical in some cases.

I know that some of you have mentioned a happy medium - a streamlined version of a Graco that is narrow but still offers comfort and some storage...

Might I trouble you for the names of some of these strollers so I can keep my eyes open for resale on them on craigslist, etc...?

thanks!

4 years ago when we first traveled with one of our newborn grandchildren I purchased a Chicco umbrella stroller and we love it. I don't recall the style but it does have a reclining back and the front part can be folded down for an older child to put his feet down and on the foot support or put up so a small child/baby can sleep. It also came with a top, a rain cover and a couple of other accessories that we really never use.

This stroller has been on many cruises and all over the world, and we love it. It still looks great after all this time....I am not aware that any part of it is broken. I highly recommend you look into that brand.

I recommend a MacClaren Triumph. It weighs about 8 lbs... folds like an umbrella stroller with one hand, has a sling strap for carrying, reclines, has a foot rest, a rain cover, a sun shade and even a decent basket underneath.

We have used it all over the world with no problems.

I bought a MacClaren Volo for our 2 yr old just before our cruise in Sept. I absolutely love it. I had been faced with the free umbrella stroller that you mentioned. I decided to just get the volo and I could not have been happier. It weighs less than 10 pounds, has a little basket, the handles are higher up so you don't have to struggle, the front wheels pivot and it has a sun shade. There were a few times while everyone was getting ready for dinner that my son fell asleep so we just pushed the little stroller into the dining room. We sat by some windows so we just put the stroller in front of those windows and we were good to go. I do regret not taking it off the boat in Cozumel but other than that.....

I did the same research her as the OP and someone recommended a Combi Savy. I had a friend that had one, so I knew what I was looking for. I found on old one on craigslist for $8. It doesn't recline much and has a small basket (unimpressive) but it does have a sun shade, foot rest, pivoting (or locked) front wheels, and a sling-over-your-shoulder strap. Best of all it's umbrella stroller type weight. My friend's Savy was probably 10 years newer than mine, so the basket is better and I think there is a cup holder, plus probably a few other upgrades. But I can't complain for $8. It has served us well. My Graco has, too, but it just doesn't work for trips.

I own a Chico Umbrella Stroller and I can honestly say I have taken this stroller everywhere – and this thing still works. I think it was the best stroller purchase I made. My first trip with my son was to Cancun (he was 9 months old) and I took one of those free strollers with me and it was HORRIBLE. The thing was ready for the garbage by the time we got back plus my poor son had zero sun cover plus I believe he was extremely uncomfortable. For me the Chico one has been great.

I have the Combi Savvy. Folds up nice and easy to carry but it is just someplace to sit for DS (more comfortably than one of the freebie umbrellas). As hooked-on-travel mentioned, the basket is nearly non-existent (and it's so lightweight, you can't hook anything too heavy on it or it'll tip over). Mine's about 18 months old so that design hasn't improved. Also, there's no "parent tray" or cupholder, some people don't like that--there is a kids' cup holder. It reclines somewhat (unlike the Volo) but not completely. I think it's a great little travel stroller, it was great in the airport but it's definitely for an older baby/young toddler. DS seems uncomfortable at 6-8 months so we didn't use it for a long while. Then we were thinking of getting a Peg Aria (which is pretty lightweight but doens't fold up as neatly) for trip but gave the combi a quick trial on little weekend trip and he's was more comfortable in it so we're sticking with the Combi.

edited: the canopy is crappy IMO I didn't feel it covered him much, but anything you end up getting you can add an extended canopy. It's called Rayshade by Kiddipotamus. It fits any stroller and gives great coverage and is 50 UPF--can't get better than that!

I recommend a MacClaren Triumph. It weighs about 8 lbs... folds like an umbrella stroller with one hand, has a sling strap for carrying, reclines, has a foot rest, a rain cover, a sun shade and even a decent basket underneath.

We have used it all over the world with no problems.

Ditto! The 55 pound weight limit is great. My 6 and a half year old rides in it fairly often (Disney, etc).

I also have and love the Zooper Salsa, but I think the weight limit is 40 pounds or so.

The 55 lb wt limit is why bought it. It is so easy to fold and it still fits DGD, very tall at 49"/44lbs, DGS is 40" but 51 lbs, solid muscle everywhere, both only 4yr old. Glad to hear someone else allows an older/bigger child to still ride around instead of walking with tears because they are so tired out at Disney.

Glad to hear someone else allows an older/bigger child to still ride around instead of walking with tears because they are so tired out at Disney.

Yeah, I totally don't get that. I mean, the point of going to Disney at all is so that they have fun. If she needs a little break, that's fine by me! If I could have a stoller for me, I'd take it!

Ditto! The 55 pound weight limit is great. My 6 and a half year old rides in it fairly often (Disney, etc).

I also have and love the Zooper Salsa, but I think the weight limit is 40 pounds or so.

Well, I will admit it... my 78 pound SIL who is 13 has also sat in it (albeit, not as comfortably) at the end of a loooooooooonnnnnnG day.

We love our Combi, even tho there's no cup holder! My daughter is now 3 and we've been using it since she was a little under 1. We will be taking it with us on Destiny (THREE DAYS!!!) just so she has a place to sit in line for check-in, etc. (And so we can keep her contained!) My sister also has an updated version for her 13 month-old - with a cupholder. (She'll be there, too!) I agree with those who said even the older kids need a stroller - especially at Disney and probably on longer excursions. Keep them happy and avoid setting them up for whining at all costs!

I did the same research her as the OP and someone recommended a Combi Savy. I had a friend that had one, so I knew what I was looking for. I found on old one on craigslist for $8. It doesn't recline much and has a small basket (unimpressive) but it does have a sun shade, foot rest, pivoting (or locked) front wheels, and a sling-over-your-shoulder strap. Best of all it's umbrella stroller type weight. My friend's Savy was probably 10 years newer than mine, so the basket is better and I think there is a cup holder, plus probably a few other upgrades. But I can't complain for $8. It has served us well. My Graco has, too, but it just doesn't work for trips.

So glad to hear that the Combi Savy is still being sold. I still have the same stroller(not sure why). My child is now 16. The combi went everywhere!!!! First trip at 8 weeks old to Switzerland in the Combi Savy. Very lightweight. Yes has a sunshade, does recline, but not much, yes a small basket underneath. was a great travel stroller for us.

Archived