QM2 - how to pack!

Fabians

We are taking a cruise on the QM2 for 2 weeks from Nov 20th. Fly to NY, cruise the Carribean then a couple of days in NY for shopping to finish. QUESTION! With a cold NY in December, a trip getting ever warmer to the Caribbean, all those formal/informal nights aboard ship and then a very casual NY (at least for me!) on return how/what do I pack and still have room for shopping on the way back, and not be overweight for baggage on the flights?? Especially back from NY to B'ham!!! Help! :confused:

I have the same problem flying from Australia for the 30th November cruise. Not much we can do about it ...just a few warmer clothes for NY and then the lighter clothes for the cruise and ports of call. A lightweight cardigan for onboard ship and a shawl for the night time.

That's what I will be taking and I hope my decision is found to be OK.

We are taking a cruise on the QM2 for 2 weeks from Nov 20th. Fly to NY, cruise the Carribean then a couple of days in NY for shopping to finish. QUESTION! With a cold NY in December, a trip getting ever warmer to the Caribbean, all those formal/informal nights aboard ship and then a very casual NY (at least for me!) on return how/what do I pack and still have room for shopping on the way back, and not be overweight for baggage on the flights?? Especially back from NY to B'ham!!! Help! :confused:

Hi Fabians.

First of all, NYC may not be all that cold, so you could do fine with several layers and a hat and gloves--it can be windy there any time, and that is what will make you cold. You don't have to worry much about this unless you plan on doing a lot of walking. Historically, the worst cold weather in NYC is in January and February, and it still comes in spurts. Of course, weather is weather, is unpredictable to some extent in order to keep us on our toes, but now we have the internet to check weather forecasts.:)

Have you heard of the shipping company UPS? They actually have shops around--you very well may think about shipping things home, if you are going to do a measurable amount of shopping, and it shouldn't be that difficult to find a UPS store. You could ask the concierge at your hotel for assistance.

Fabians - you are on our cruise! :D

I am used to the cold and layering, but my plan this time is to bite the bullet and take a long, warm coat. I don't mind layering here or in Alaska or anywhere the weather is extremely changeable, but I am going for the big coat in NY because the wind whips through those buildings and it is likely to feel colder. Also, it is likely to be cool if not outright cold out on deck, so I don't want to deal with taking several jackets, sweaters, etc. For three days in NY, I will probably wear thermal shirts (pretty ones) with a corduroy shirt over them and/or a lightweight fleece shirt or jacket - and will have my coat if I might need it. The last time we were there, the temp got to the single digits and teens. I'm more concerned about freezing than I am about being too hot.

If you don't have a big coat, you can go the layering route with long underwear (lightweight synthetic or silk), fleece or flannel lined jeans or khakis, and have jacket, sweater, and/or sweatshirt to wear over a long-sleeved shirt. You will end up with some extra weight, though.

Good luck,

Susan

If this helps you at all in determining what degree of cold you should expect, I'm wearing the blue version of this fleece jacket (reversible!) to the ship, maybe on the ship when outside, and off the ship in January.

a46579.001?$moreviewmain$

Fabians we are also on the same sailing as you and have the same problem. We are flying from the UK and although we have a fairly generous luggage allowance, we need to pack fairly economically. We've got 2 nights pre cruise and 3 nights post cruise. I've made list after list and am now trying to prune the latest and greatest version to accommodate for some shopping. We're planning on putting a soft sided holdall into one of our cases, so that we can expand into this if necessary. If we have too many bags we won't be able to get them all into the taxis!

Would love to you to join our CC Roll Call meeting - we're meeting on Wednesday, 21st at 11.00 am, hopefully in the Commordore Club. I'm awaiting confirmation from ship as to whether this is OK. If you fancy meeting up - look at the Roll call board under Cunard for our sail date. Sue

Hi Angela,

great now I know how to regonize you in January. LOL. Nice coat by the way! Not sure what I pack to protect me from cold weather. Hm enough time left to pack.

I was also wondering about the weather in NY in January- as I used to cold weather from where I live in January I guess I can cope with it.

Greetings

Michael

So far, it has been quite warm in NYC for this time of year. Everyone is commenting on how warm this fall has been so far. There have been several days in the 80s this month. It is enjoyable but also disconcerting.

Last November/December was also warm, but I remember plenty of years when it was freezing around Thanksgiving time, so I would recommend one warm coat or jacket, even if you are not planning to walk much. You may be stuck outside one night waiting for a cab--believe me they are scarce commodity in the theatre district right after the shows let out. A light weight hat and/or scarf and gloves are also a good idea.

I hope that all of you who are planning to spend some time in NYC post or pre-cruise have a wonderful time!!!

Ginger

We are sailing on the QE2 in January on a world cruise, where we will experience a wide variety of weather. Since I didn't want to be encumbered with both a heavy coat and lightweight jackets, I bought a 3-in-1 jacket from L.L.Bean. It has a lightweight outer jacket and a removable inner fleece jacket. I can wear them together when it is colder and separately depending on whether I need a windbreaker or a fleece jacket.

we will be in NYC novemebr and it really is not so cold, Im just packing all my light stuff and a mid lengh coat to use in NYC and on the QM2 for a day or 2 in the cold waters and back home in the UK.

We have been there in January/Feb and even with snow its not that bad

Hi Angela,

great now I know how to regonize you in January. LOL. Nice coat by the way! Not sure what I pack to protect me from cold weather. Hm enough time left to pack.

I was also wondering about the weather in NY in January- as I used to cold weather from where I live in January I guess I can cope with it.

Greetings

Michael

Hi Michael! Yes, just remember, mine is dark blue on the outside and light green on the inside. :p It's made of fleece, and is quite thick (it's reversible) but not heavy.

The weather in January can either be mild or cold and windy. The past couple of years it has been mild. So go online and Google "Northface Denali jacket" and that will be just about right. Then find something not so crazily overpriced, or look in your closet. ;)

Archived