Buses in Barbados?? Car rental??

browneyes7

I've never been to Barbados. ===> ????

Are there local buses that run that we could ride?

Also, we often rent a car. Are there car rental places at the port?

Yes, there are local buses you can ride.

There's a bus stop about 200 yds.outside the gates of the Port

(turn left at the roundabout and walk 200yds.)

which will get you buses Northbound along our West Coast,

but you gotta stick your hand out to stop the bus

or he'll sail straight past you! (local culture)

Car rentals are available, but I don't think any of the rental places

maintain a presence at the Port.

but I'm sure if you call Coconut Car Rentals(437-0297)

they may come and pick you up..

but be warned that cars can get booked up real quick during Dec. and Jan.

so you may need to book ahead,

in which case you need to call them at 1-(246)437-0297

Yes, there are local buses you can ride.

There's a bus stop about 200 yds.outside the gates of the Port

(turn left at the roundabout and walk 200yds.)

which will get you buses Northbound along our West Coast,

but you gotta stick your hand out to stop the bus

or he'll sail straight past you! (local culture)

Car rentals are available, but I don't think any of the rental places

maintain a presence at the Port.

but I'm sure if you call Coconut Car Rentals(437-0297)

they may come and pick you up..

but be warned that cars can get booked up real quick during Dec. and Jan.

so you may need to book ahead,

in which case you need to call them at 1-(246)437-0297

My husband wants to go to Silver Sands, went there some 40+ years ago, while in the navy. He would like to use the bus system to do this.

We did try about 4 years ago, my first trip to Barbados, we walked to the bus terminal, got tickets, waited 1 hour past the ' Departure ' time, decided to call it quits and walked back to the ship.

Since then, we have been back to Barbados twice on a cruise, but just took Taxi's to a beach.

We will be cruising again to Barbados first week of December, and my husband has again brought up the subject of taking a bus to Silver Sands. If one hauls a bus at the stops, can one pay with US $ and does one have to have exact change ?

Is there any water taxis going to Silver Sands and if so how much should one expect to pay ?

Any info or suggestions !

Krydstogt

Buses (and mini-vans displaying ZR license plates) all over the island

charge Bds.$1.50 a ride, no matter how short or how long.

Once you get off, you just spent your $1.50

Bds.$1.50 = US$ 75 cents

so if all you have is a US$1-bill, give it to them and kiss it goodbye,

although you'll probably get back your 50 local cents change

from the ZR minivans

but not from he big local (blue and yellow) buses

where you just throw your fare into a big ole box near the driver

- there's no-one to make change for you.

Water taxis? forget it!

Such an animal doesn't exist anywhere on the island, to my knowledge..

Thank you Aplmac.

Just another short question,

are we 'nuts' to utilize the local bus system

or should we just stick to use the taxi service ?

Visitors who are on the island for a week or so

(read: no rush back to a ship for 4 p.m.!!)

often use the local bus services: they're reasonably good.

Bear in mind that the buses come when they do.

It's not a clockwork schedule

like how we like to imagine it is in The Great White North!:)

It also depends on where you want to go

since all/most bus routes hub out of Bridgetown,

along the 7 Hiways that radiate out from the capital city.

Going up the West Coast should be a fairly simple matter for example

since there's a Northbound bus-stop

about 200-300 yds. to the left of the roundabout outside the Port's Gatehouse

opposite a Chefette fast food joint.

Start early and you could be in Mullins (aways up the West Coast)

in about 45 mins, going against the early morning traffic flow into Bridgetown.

And around 2:30-3:30 p.m. heading back towards the ship

you'd again be heading in the opposite direction to the main traffic flow.

It's hard to say.

Maybe you should bus it out, when time is more plentiful

and taxi it back to the ship as time runs out a bit?

Haven't been to Barbados since 2002 but there was car rentals available at the port, Drive -a - matic and Stoutes if I recall correctly.

I rented from Stoutes at the pier 3 years ago. It was very easy. I'm waiting for reply from them to see if they are still there.

• 2 weeks later...

We are taking a NCL cruise leaving NYC in Jan. 2008, one port will be Barbados. Since we are seniors, will not be going to a beach to snorkel or scouba. Is it realistic to plan on taking a bus from dock to Bridgetown for a couple of hours and then taking a bus back? You really are terrific giving us all so much vital info. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Is it realistic to plan on taking a bus from dock to Bridgetown for a couple of hours

and then taking a bus back? ===> no.

Unrealistic only in that the Bus Terminal is about halfway between you at the Port

and Bridgetown where you want to shop!

If you think you can walk it, it's about a mile

from the Port to BROAD STREET our main shopping area

- and a mile back,of course.

A quick taxi ride (for about $3 per person,I believe)

is probably your best and quickest bet

it's a less-than-5mins. ride!

..but you might try walking there

and then catching a taxi back with all the stuff you've bought

(- it'll be quite hot by then?!)

Apologies for the dreadfully late response to this.

I haven't been paying the usual attention

(been distracted by an upcoming cruise on Jan.2nd.-9th.)

I see you list Collecting Hobbies in your profile.

I collect many things

starting with antique postcards, seashells, antique bottles

David Winter Cottages and Lilliput Lane too

Wife collects Santa Clauses and other....

don't get me started!

Bearing in mind my cruise dates above,when we won't be there

you might want to ring when you arrive.

427-0146.

We don't live far from the Port, literally 5-10 mins. away

We were in Barbados last week and used the bus system successfully. We took a bus from the Cheapside Terminal to Folkstone Park. Since the water was really rough, we thought we would try another location, so we took the Oistens bus to a beach south of Bridgetown--Amaryllis Beach, I think. It wasn't much calmer there, but we enjoyed some beach time. Then, we caught a bus back to Bridgetown, walked around town, then walked back to the ship.

• 4 years later...

This is a first time to Barbados. We come in on Feb 5, 2011 on the Dawn. This is our first cruise in years. Whenever we travel we usually use the local bus system or metro.

Would like to know were should we go besides Bridgetown to get in some good sights and does the bus take you there or close by.

What is a must see?

• 3 weeks later...

We spent 2 weeks in Barbados in Aug 2010 and took the bus everywhere. We never rented a car - we found the bus took us pretty much wherever we needed to go. Plus you get the added bonus of entertainment, especially riding the white ZR's. No better way to meet the locals and have some great conversations. Most are friendly and more than happy to help out with directions or recommendations...

Along Hwy 7 from Bridgetown south to St. Lawrence Gap, we found that buses ran every few minutes, so you never had to wait long. On other routes the wait was sometimes longer...

As for what to do on the island... I guess it all depends on what your interests are. There's a ton of things to keep you busy... The beaches are absolutely amazing.

I always say, "if you're lucky enough to live by the ocean, you're lucky enough!"

Cheers, P:)

We were in Barbados last week and used the bus system successfully. We took a bus from the Cheapside Terminal to Folkstone Park. Since the water was really rough, we thought we would try another location, so we took the Oistens bus to a beach south of Bridgetown--Amaryllis Beach, I think. It wasn't much calmer there, but we enjoyed some beach time. Then, we caught a bus back to Bridgetown, walked around town, then walked back to the ship.

Is Cheapside in Bridgetown? or near the pier? Thanks for the info.

We spent 2 weeks in Barbados in Aug 2010 and took the bus everywhere. We never rented a car - we found the bus took us pretty much wherever we needed to go. Plus you get the added bonus of entertainment, especially riding the white ZR's. No better way to meet the locals and have some great conversations. Most are friendly and more than happy to help out with directions or recommendations...

Along Hwy 7 from Bridgetown south to St. Lawrence Gap, we found that buses ran every few minutes, so you never had to wait long. On other routes the wait was sometimes longer...

As for what to do on the island... I guess it all depends on what your interests are. There's a ton of things to keep you busy... The beaches are absolutely amazing.

I always say, "if you're lucky enough to live by the ocean, you're lucky enough!"

We will only be there for a day. About 8 hours for a port of call. Would like to know of a must see, that is not shopping. Do the buses take you to the must see.

Honestly, it all depends on what your interests are. Me personally, I love the ocean and can't get enough of it...

All of the beaches we visited on the island are gorgeous, but each one unique in it's own way... Some are more busy than others, some have amenities...

But, there's a lot more to Barbados than beaches...

Our first visit to the island was in 2008 with Carnival. On that trip we did a catamaran snorkel tour with Heatwave and had a blast.

The buses are reliable and will take you pretty much anywhere you need to go... But, as you get further from Bridgetown, the buses are less frequent and may not be the best choice if you're on a timeline.

What are your interests?

We took the local bus while in Barbados last week for the day. We went to Paynes Bay, brought our snorkle gear, swam out to the catamarans and swam with the turtles. We got on the bus around 9:30 and were there in about 40 minutes. We left the beach at 2:30 to return to the ship. There are marked bus stops along the highway -- every 5 or 10 minute minute walk or so. The only hassle is that the cabbies harass you non-stop from the moment you get off the ship until you reach the bus stop. Understandable they need to make living too.

To get to Rockley from port, you need to make your way to the Fairchild St. Terminal, which is a good hike from port - I'd say at least 10 blocks or so.

Once at the terminal, you'll have no problem finding a bus to take you south along Hwy. 7 to Rockley - just ask.

If you're interested in doing a little shopping, the walk from port to the terminal (via Broad St.) is nice and gives you a chance to check out some shops along the way... Or you can take a cab if you're on a timeline...

Getting back from Rockley to Fairchild St. Terminal will take at least 20-30 minutes or so, depending on traffic. From there, you still have to get back to port. All in all, I'd say leave yourselves at least 90 minutes, just to be safe.

We took the local bus while in Barbados last week for the day. We went to Paynes Bay, brought our snorkle gear, swam out to the catamarans and swam with the turtles. We got on the bus around 9:30 and were there in about 40 minutes. We left the beach at 2:30 to return to the ship. There are marked bus stops along the highway -- every 5 or 10 minute minute walk or so. The only hassle is that the cabbies harass you non-stop from the moment you get off the ship until you reach the bus stop. Understandable they need to make living too.

Is the bus stop near the pier and do you remember how to get to it. This sounds like a nice time.

To get to Payne's Bay from port via transit, you will need to walk from the port to the Princess Alice Bus Terminal.

To get to the terminal, walk southeast from the Cruise Terminal to the South Port Gates (by the roundabout).

From the roundabout, keep walking southeast with the ocean on your right. After a couple of blocks, you'll see Pelican Village on your left and just after that, the bus terminal.

Look for a bus heading north on Hwy. 1 to Holetown, Speightstown or Folkstone. You can also just ask - nearly everyone on the island is friendly and willing to help out...

Remember that they drive on the left, so when leaving Payne's Bay to come back to port, you'll have to cross the street and catch a bus on the opposite side.

The bus stop signs always say "To City" or "Out of City".

• 2 months later...
My husband wants to go to Silver Sands, went there some 40+ years ago, while in the navy. He would like to use the bus system to do this.

We did try about 4 years ago, my first trip to Barbados, we walked to the bus terminal, got tickets, waited 1 hour past the ' Departure ' time, decided to call it quits and walked back to the ship.

Since then, we have been back to Barbados twice on a cruise, but just took Taxi's to a beach.

We will be cruising again to Barbados first week of December, and my husband has again brought up the subject of taking a bus to Silver Sands. If one hauls a bus at the stops, can one pay with US $ and does one have to have exact change ?

Is there any water taxis going to Silver Sands and if so how much should one expect to pay ?

Any info or suggestions !

Krydstogt

I know this is about 5 years old, but Silver Sands is such a lovely beach and good for surfing and kiteboarding. It sounds like your mistake was trying to catch a government bus instead of a minivan. I've never had to wait more than 2-3 minutes for a minivan heading to Silver Sands. I've never waited more than a minute on the way back.

For the adventuresome, instead of going to the Fairchild St. Terminal where the BIG Government buses depart, you can walk an extra block to the “Nursey Drive Minibus and ZR Terminal”. Look at google maps, but basically you just follow the “river” upstream and you can't miss it. The little ZR minivan buses tend to leave more frequently, and are a lot more entertaining. I've always paid in USD and they always TRY to give change back, which I refused.

I know this is about 5 years old, but Silver Sands is such a lovely beach and good for surfing and kiteboarding. It sounds like your mistake was trying to catch a government bus instead of a minivan. I've never had to wait more than 2-3 minutes for a minivan heading to Silver Sands. I've never waited more than a minute on the way back.

For the adventuresome, instead of going to the Fairchild St. Terminal where the BIG Government buses depart, you can walk an extra block to the “Nursey Drive Minibus and ZR Terminal”. Look at google maps, but basically you just follow the “river” upstream and you can't miss it. The little ZR minivan buses tend to leave more frequently, and are a lot more entertaining. I've always paid in USD and they always TRY to give change back, which I refused.

Will they take you to Harrison's Cave? (or at least a short distance from?)

We were planning to walk to the Princess Alice Bus Terminal and catch one headed that way.

Any advice?

Archived