Seabourn--Third Place

LaPaloma

I have to note that the "sample" (i.e., people answering the survey) is "self selected." In other words, those who wish to answer do, and those who don't wish to don't. No survey with a self selected sample group is ever accurate. I studied statistics in college. To do any sort of accurate survey of types of cruise lines, it would be necessary to obtain a complete list of those persons who take that kind of cruise line. Then, this data would have to be sorted by demographics such as age, occupational status, and other factors. Then, the survey would have to be sent to a representative sample in each demographic sector.

This is much different that a survey published in a magazine, which can be answered by anybody who gets his/her hands on the magazine, regardless of whether they ever take the kind of cruise in question or not.

This months Conde Nast Traveler has put Seabourn in third place in the small ship rankings.. Don

To be fair, I just found the 2006 issue, and Seabourn was 4th, so really, they've moved up in the world! The point spread was <3 between #1 & #4.

I have to note that the "sample" (i.e., people answering the survey) is "self selected." In other words, those who wish to answer do, and those who don't wish to don't. No survey with a self selected sample group is ever accurate. I studied statistics in college. To do any sort of accurate survey of types of cruise lines, it would be necessary to obtain a complete list of those persons who take that kind of cruise line. Then, this data would have to be sorted by demographics such as age, occupational status, and other factors. Then, the survey would have to be sent to a representative sample in each demographic sector.

This is much different that a survey published in a magazine, which can be answered by anybody who gets his/her hands on the magazine, regardless of whether they ever take the kind of cruise in question or not.

Well said!!!--you are 100% correct! Don

Archived