Westerdam Trans-Atlantic -- Oct 5-21, 2007

bobmagg

Absolutely wonderful!! Thank you for taking the time to put the slideshow together for all of us to enjoy!!

It brought back so many wonderful memories of our Noordam transatlantic last year...........we cruised into many of the same ports.

Thank you again!

Bob,

Thank you so much for posting the pictures of your TransAtlantic sailing on the Westerdam. We sailed on the April 2007, Eastbound Westerdam TransAtlantic and it was nice see your photos taken on her return to the US. You posted a very good variety of photos that make me anxious to visit more ports in Spain and the Azores! Thanks again.

Jack - San Francisco

Thanks for the nice comments.

I did the slideshow primarily for the non-cruising members of our extended family, but am glad that you experienced cruisers appreciated it.

There were 40 some CCers on our cruise and we got together twice for Meet & Greets. It was indeed an enjoyable cruise!

Bob

Can you comment on what shape the Westerdam is in? I am hearing the Statendam is showing her age, the Volendam I just sailed on had some flooding issues and plumbing problems. I know the Westerdam is newer....how was her condition? Getting ready to take a trip on her in May. Just wondering ....

Can you comment on what shape the Westerdam is in? I am hearing the Statendam is showing her age, the Volendam I just sailed on had some flooding issues and plumbing problems. I know the Westerdam is newer....how was her condition? Getting ready to take a trip on her in May. Just wondering ....

Westerdam has recently undergone a drydock/refurbishment/renovation. Cruise Critic member WeLoveCruising kindly posted some photos for us of the Westerdam after her drydock. Please click here to see the link with the photos.:)

ps I need to add a big "thank you" to BobMagg, the original poster, for his very enjoyable photos! :-)

The cruise exceeded our expectations. The Westerdam, having recently been in dry dock, was sparkling -- new carpets, tile, etc..

The newly located Explorations Cafe (in the Crow's Nest) was well designed and attractive. The computers are well positioned and the library fits in nicely. The Crow's Nest lounge still has plenty of space. WiFi access has been expanded, and is available in all the public lounges and some were able to access from their cabins. By the way, my iPhone worked handily and was faster than the PC's in the Explorations Cafe.

All of the ports were interesting and beautiful. Having good weather helped. Temps in high 70's and sunny. In fact, except for a couple of days after leaving the Azores, we had almost perfect weather. We did have some rough seas in the Atlantic for a couple of days, but nothing really bad.

Half Moon Cay was beautiful as always, and the larger tenders speeded the shuttles back and forth.

The food was the best we have ever had on a HAL ship. Menus and preparation were outstanding. And the service in the dining room and throughout the ship was excellent.

Most of the entertainment was top notch -- although the juggler was amateurish.

In summary, we continue to be pleased with Holland America, and highly recommend the ms Westerdam.

Bob

We sail Nov. 3 on Zuiderdam. Is it as gorgeous as the Westerdam?

Hope so, we will be on the Zuiderdam Nov 17 for the Thanksgiving cruise

But the Zuiderdam hasn't had her dry dock yet (sked for April 2008). She may be showing some wear & tear, but I am confident that she is still a beautiful ship and more than seaworthy.

Bob

Bob and Bobbye,

Thanks for including us in your extended family. Chuck and I certainly would have preferred to be with you on this trip and we followed your route to every port. We hated having to cancel.

Thanks again for the pictures and the music, it was much appreciated.

GN

Bob, thank you very much for the wonderful pictures and presentation. Westerdam is our favorite Vista ship (we haven't been on Noordam). We did a crossing on her from Europe to FLL a few years ago and the Atlantic was like a millpond the entire way

I was on the transatlantic. In general the ship is in good shape, but there are definitely signs of wear in those areas where their choices of materials were not wise. As an example, some of the couches outside the dining room are totally worn through on the arms. In general, though, the ship is in good shape, especially in the areas that count (like security and safety).

Wonderful presentation and comments. I was on the Westerdam for 10 days prior to your cruise. I totally agree with your comments regarding the ship, food and crew. I believe Captain Harris is leaving the ship for a Holiday at his home in Dover England.

Archived