Princess cruise selection help needed please

jetstorm

We are thinking of booking a Princess cruise to Alaska. We can go anytime between May 24 and the end of July 2007. There will be two adults (40's) and one child(11). I need help deciding which cruise to book and any help on how to book air and which excursions are best for this cruise. My husband would like to salmon fish. We are all adventurous. Would we be better suited to a land/cruise tour or even a land only tour?

I do know I would like an "inside passage' cruise.

I know this is a lot to ask, but not having been to Alaska before and we've only taken one cruise ( Caribbean)before so we need all the help we can get.

We are thinking of booking a Princess cruise to Alaska. We can go anytime between May 24 and the end of July 2007. There will be two adults (40's) and one child(11). I need help deciding which cruise to book and any help on how to book air and which excursions are best for this cruise. My husband would like to salmon fish. We are all adventurous. Would we be better suited to a land/cruise tour or even a land only tour?

I know this is a lot to ask, but not having been to Alaska before and we've only taken one cruise ( Caribbean)before so we need all the help we can get.

The person who can best answer all these questions for you is a good local Travel Agent who is a CLIA Accredited Cruise Counselor. Ask around among your friends or co-workers for a recommendation, or go to http://www.cruising.org/index2.cfm and use the Travel Agent search feature. You will find someone who is trained and experienced and can give you professional answers to all those questions.

Have a GREAT cruise!

We've been twice, on different lines - I agree a TA can help but it sounds as if you've read the brochures and reviewed the options. I'm also sure if you search under Alaska, on some of the threads there will be a bunch more info.

We did one round trip inside passage Vancouver to Vancouver. We also did a one-way and tour - Vancouver to Seward with tour to Fairbanks. Vancouver is definitely worth an extra day or two if you have the time.

The cruise portion of the cruise/tour was very relaxing and then, for the last week, we hustled and bustled to get to the bus, the train, the sightseeing expedition, etc. and were worn out a bit. (My husband really likes cruising as there is no need to pack/unpack and move suitcases to see a new destination.) I've read that many prefer to do the land tour first and then cruise as the relaxing is at the end of the cruise.

Alaska is beautiful and I did not get a grasp of the Alaska experience from the round-trip Inside Passage cruise. Read up on the cities visited, the tour options and make your decision based on what you want to see - whales, glaciers (Hubbard or Glacier Bay).

Weather is iffy at any time. Our last cruise had a passenger on his 8th cruise - he stated he was going to cruise to Alaska till he saw the sun. That 8th trip, he saw the sun every day and it was the Aug 31-Sep ? timeframe. Our first trip was in July and we hardly saw any sun. I saw pictures of one May cruise with snow on the deck.

We did a southbound cruise this past May and it was so great my DH wants to book the same cruise in 2009, but I want a little different experience. We did a pre cruise land tour booked through the cruise line and next time we will definitely do it on our own. You must cruise because there is a great part of Alaska you can only see from the cruise ship. The glaciers are awesome and not to be missed. Of course you can book cruise excursions to the glaciers if not on a multi day cruise. May is good because it is less expensive, but be aware some parts of Denali are not accessible in May.

Before worrying about booking airfare and excursions, nail down the ship and date! Cruiselines generally use the terms "Inside Passage Cruise" and "Gulf of Alaska Cruise" to differentiate between a roundtrip cruise and a one-way cruise. All Alaska cruises spend time in the Inside Passage, because that's where the port towns are.

If Princess is definitely the cruiseline you want, then you have a few basic choices. Of Princess's roundtrip cruises, you can do a 7-day from Seattle on the Star or Golden Princess, a 10-day from San Francisco on the Dawn Princess, or a 14-day roundtrip from Vancouver on the Tahitian Princess (new itinerary for 2008). The ships from Seattle and San Francisco have Tracy Arm Fjord as their glacier sailing day. The Tahitian Princess goes to Glacier Bay. If you're considering doing an interior Alaska land trip in addition to a cruise, it's pretty difficult to coordinate that with a roundtrip cruise.

Princess has 4 ships that do one-way cruises between Vancouver and Whittier, Alaska. The Diamond and Sapphire Princess depart on Saturdays, and the Coral and Island Princess depart on Mondays. The itineraries are identical, going to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, and College Fjord. We were on the northbound Coral Princess in early June, followed by 8 days of independent touring with a rental car. I liked it so much that I'm doing another northbound cruise in 2008, as well as another land trip with rental car - although this time I'll be on a HAL ship with a bit different itinerary.

How many days do you plan for your Alaska trip. if you have two weeks, I would definitely recommend one way cruise with a land tour before or after the cruise. Then you can decide whether to do a NB or SB. Both Princess and HAL offer excellent itinerary on their one-way cruise.

We have not decided definitely how many days, but I'm thinking of about 10 days total and I'm leaning heavily toward toward one-way cruises. Is there any great advantage of Southbound over Northbound, such as airfare costs? I have never booked air that wasn't roundtrip, do I book each as a one way?

We have not decided definitely how many days, but I'm thinking of about 10 days total and I'm leaning heavily toward toward one-way cruises. Is there any great advantage of Southbound over Northbound, such as airfare costs? I have never booked air that wasn't roundtrip, do I book each as a one way?

We're doing the southbound one way itinerary this time so we can get the long flight to Anchorage over, plus after 5 days on land I will be ready to relax on board and be waited on ;)

I liked our northbound sailing very much but the long overnight flight home wore me out (I don't sleep on planes). Plus I'm always ready to come right home after a cruise.....

The RT I did this year on HAL was disappointing as we spent way too much time in open water with land barely visible.

To answer your question regarding airfare - try a RT and then 1 one way ticket. I am probably going to book a RT to Seattle and a one way the same day to Anchorage. On the return I will have to transfer to Seattle to catch my flight home but it seems to be my best deal. Some open jaw or multi city combinations work out to be just a little more than the RT + one way so check all of your options. If you live in an area with alternate airport options - that may help too.

The RT I did this year on HAL was disappointing as we spent way too much time in open water with land barely visible.

QUOTE]

This can happen on any line. I've sailed Princess twice where a great deal of time was also spent open ocean and my last one way with them, they didn't even do a complete "turn" in Glacier Bay, just did a 180 starboard and out they went. :(

10 days isn't a lot of time, but a one way with those 3 extra days is a great option. Consider spending the time in Seward, with 1 over night and perhaps Anchorage or Talkeetna. You really won't have enough time for Denali Park, unless you are considering a late overnight flight home??

I like southbound sailings for scenic inside Vancouver Island sailing, done at night on the northbounds.

With your air, you are going to look at the "multi city" option on booking sites, you don't want 2 one way more costly tickets.

I suggest you consider doing your interior Alaska travel independently.

Cruisetours, are mostly adults and fixed point to point travel isn't the best option usually for kids. It's also the most costly.

I don't agree a TA will have the answers, since a great many haven't been there. Do your homework, head to your library, and take out Alaska by Cruiseship as well as other Alaska travel books. This will give you a good base of information.

Most airlines allow you to book open-jaw (into one city and out of another) flights. You would look at "multi-city" on an airline web site. My flights are into Vancouver and home from Anchorage.

I like cruising north because the scenery gets better and better each day. Many people prefer southbound cruises to get the longer flight over first and to "relax" on the ship. For our cruise + land trip last June, I didn't find the cruise relaxing nor the land trip tiring. Because southbound cruises are more popular than northbound, they usually cost a bit more. I've read the same goes for flights, but we used FF miles for both Alaska trips so I don't know if that's true.

Budget Queen, I agree with your statement below about a lot of T/A's and that's way I wanted to post my questions here on CC. I knew you guys would have the answers and you have.

I don't agree a TA will have the answers, since a great many haven't been there.

If I were to pick a one way cruise, where would be the best place for my husband to salmon fish? Perhaps if we did the Southbound he could fish before the cruise?

I just want to say how much I appreciate all of you giving me advice of the type of cruise and taking the time to answer my questions.

Budget Queen, I agree with your statement below about a lot of T/A's and that's way I wanted to post my questions here on CC. I knew you guys would have the answers and you have.

I don't agree a TA will have the answers, since a great many haven't been there.

If I were to pick a one way cruise, where would be the best place for my husband to salmon fish? Perhaps if we did the Southbound he could fish before the cruise?

I just want to say how much I appreciate all of you giving me advice of the type of cruise and taking the time to answer my questions.

Salmon fishing- Interior Alaska,Ship Creek - downtown Anchorage, although wall to wall people. Talkeetna, Russian River, Kenai River. Plus many more. Inside passage, Ketchikan is a top choice, with Juneau a possibility.

We have been to Alaska twice on Princess and have our third cruise booked for this June. The first cruise was round trip out of Seattle on the Sapphire (cruise only). We thought this would be a once in a lifetime trip, but soon discovered that there is so much to see and do, that you can never do it all. The next trip we sailed again on the Sapphire, but did a one way southbound with a cruisetour from Fairbanks first. We thoroughly enjoyed the trip and the land portion definitely gives you a different prospective of Alaska. This time we are doing a southbound on the Diamond and doing a 4 day independent pre-cruise tour in the Anchorage/Seward area. We have always gone in June, but I have read that the Salmon fishing may be better in July if fishing is a high priority. I think the one way also offers a better chance of glacier viewing(College Fjiord and Glacier Bay) vs just one Glacier day on some roundtrip cruises. Where in Alabama are you from?

Bruce

Booking direct with Princess for an Alaskan cruise is a very good choice. Princess, in my opinion, does the best job in Alaska and has the most experience.

Booking on your own is the best way by far to set up your cruise. Later on if some internet or local agencies offer discounts or bonuses you can always switch the reservation to the TA. Booking through a TA often ties you into paying penalties and fees, imposed by the TA, if you want to change your booking. If you are going on a one way cruise north or south bound which is IMHO, the best way to see Alaska, if you set up your own land portion of your stay in Alaska you would save a great deal of money and have far more flexibility. Booking through a travel agent just adds one more layer of people that you have to deal with. You will find far more information on than these boards than any "registered" travel agent can ever provide.

As you can probably see from my unbiased opinions, no one in my family is a TA! for me doing research and setting up your own vacation is half the fun of taking a vacation.

Bamacrzer,

We are in Decatur, just outside of Huntsville. We moved here two yrs. ago from SC.

Where are located?

We have been to Alaska twice on Princess and have our third cruise booked for this June. The first cruise was round trip out of Seattle on the Sapphire (cruise only). We thought this would be a once in a lifetime trip, but soon discovered that there is so much to see and do, that you can never do it all. The next trip we sailed again on the Sapphire, but did a one way southbound with a cruisetour from Fairbanks first. We thoroughly enjoyed the trip and the land portion definitely gives you a different prospective of Alaska. This time we are doing a southbound on the Diamond and doing a 4 day independent pre-cruise tour in the Anchorage/Seward area. We have always gone in June, but I have read that the Salmon fishing may be better in July if fishing is a high priority. I think the one way also offers a better chance of glacier viewing(College Fjiord and Glacier Bay) vs just one Glacier day on some roundtrip cruises. Where in Alabama are you from?

Bruce

Bamacrzer,

We are in Decatur, just outside of Huntsville. We moved here two yrs. ago from SC.

Where are located?

We are in Tuscaloosa. I have been to Decatur once for a training seminar. We are also in our 40's and have a son that is 12. He has enjoyed Alaska and the kids programs on board the ship each time. This last summer, we did a Carribean cruise for the water activites, but decided to go back to Alaska next summer. Our parents enjoy the scenery so much and we wanted to give them the opportunity to go back again. Continue to read these boards and ask questions to help you in your decision making process. To me, no where else I have been compares to Alaska.

Bruce

Everyone is giving you some great advice from a knowlegeable...been there done that...perspective which, in my opinion, is the best kind.

Just one quick point! If salmon fishing is a 'must' to make your trip perfect, make sure you check with the Fish and Wildlife Service in both Alaska and/or BC depending on where your husband winds up fishing, to make sure of the rules and regs.

Because the salmon runs in both Alaska and BC have taken a serious beating over th past sveral decades the rules, regs, and closures for fishing change every year depending on what the Fish and Wildlife folk believe the spawning return will be!

You don't want to plan on a fishing trip only to find out that there is a closure in effect when you get there.

Just don't want to see you disappointed!

Listen to the experienced folk here and you will be able to plan the perfect Alaska expereince!!!

Archived