Looking for input

flamomo

My DD (38) and SIL (46) are hoping to take their first cruise in late May or early June. Because they want to try a 4-5 night cruise, preferably out of Tampa, I think they will be limited to Carnival or HAL. DD is concerned because she has heard negative things about Carnival - - the old "party ship" thing. They're not "partiers", but also not stuffy. I've never been on Carnival, so don't know what to tell her.

She's heard that Jamaica should be avoided because it's "dirty" and there's a lot of crime. I've been to Ocho Rios and MoBay, and never had or saw any problems.

Also, does Carnival give discounts to retired military? SIL's retired USAF.

Thanks for any info you can give so I can ease her mind.

My DD (38) and SIL (46) are hoping to take their first cruise in late May or early June. Because they want to try a 4-5 night cruise, preferably out of Tampa, I think they will be limited to Carnival or HAL. DD is concerned because she has heard negative things about Carnival - - the old "party ship" thing. They're not "partiers", but also not stuffy. I've never been on Carnival, so don't know what to tell her.

She's heard that Jamaica should be avoided because it's "dirty" and there's a lot of crime. I've been to Ocho Rios and MoBay, and never had or saw any problems.

I am going to tell it straight here. The shorter the cruise on Carnival, the more likely it will be a more "party" atmosphere. The 3/4 are rumored to be the worst so try for at least a 5 day.

If you are not taking kids, I would prefer you sail earlier in May before school is out.

I am not crazy about Jamaica. We have been there many times and it is not my favorite port. It is the only one I truly do not care for...and won't get off the ship there again. The rest of the ports are ok.

Carnival does offer some military discounts, so make sure they deal with a TA or PVP that knows their stuff!!

We've cruised the Carnival Inspiration out of Tampa, and the Celebration out of Jacksonville. We did the 5 day on Inspiration and 4 day on Celebration.

The Inspiration was a lot bigger ship than the Celebration, so there was lots more people on it, and so was alot more busy as far as people in the buffet lines and swimming pool and everywhere.

So not only the durations, but ship size will play account.

We actually enjoyed the shorter cruise on the Celebration better, on account of there being less people.

Somehow we missed out on all the "party" going ons. I guess because we didn't hang out around the bar areas.

We usually had someplace to be, ie. our cabin, diningroom or lido deck, the theater, etc. We aren't "late-nighters", but were in the lounge watching the midnight adult shows a couple times. People had fun, but weren't crazy.

However, my 16 year old son and neice had finished up the teen dancing time at around 11:00pm or midnight, and instead of returning to the cabin, they hung out a while down beside one of the bar areas, and watched a couple guys get in a fight and security have to bodily carry off one of the men.

I think your DD and SIL would enjoy Carnival ships. We're not partiers, but not stuffy either, and we enjoyed our cruises, and have another booked for Thanksgiving week on Carnival.

We've been to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Freeport and Nassau. We liked them all fine. Maybe Grand Cayman first and Nassau second.

We have been on 8 Carnival which all but one were 7+ days. The one which

was a 5 day out of Texas.

I don't feel they are a party ship which they had the rep for having years ago.

We also are NOT the party type of folks. But on the same hand if you looking

for fun there a lot to do in regards to Dancing, etc late at night.

Regards to Jamaica.... We went to MOBAY and was not impressed at all. In

fact the family was DONE with MOBAY after about 2 hours and we headed back

to the ship and when to the pools, etc vs spending time in port.

I personally would make a choice to another sailing if another port was available.

I have not been to Ocho Rios so I can not comment on that side of the

Island.

I know you were looking at Tampa, but the Imagination has a 5 day sailing out of Miami that they might enjoy in May before school gets out. It travels to Grand Turk Island, Half Moon Cay and Nassau. We did this trip when it was the Fantasy out of Port Canaveral and enjoyed it so much we are taking our granddaughters on their spring break in April. Really nice safe ports, and IMHO good "first time cruiser ports". We were able to get a Military discount, but they go fast, so if they are looking to book something they should do so sooner rather than later when all the Military bookings may be gone.

By the way we are not real partiers either, but love Carnival because it's fun.:D

As some of the other posters have noted the shorter cruises are rumored to be the party cruises. We have only taken a 7 day out of Tampa and trust me the crowd was far from the party type crowd, it could have just been that sailing...although our last two Carnival cruises have had lots of the older demographic.

I've been to Ocho Rios and spent the day sightseeing and hiking Dunn's River Falls (an awesome experience). A few pushy local sellers (t-shirts not drugs) but they can be found all over the Caribbean.

As for military discounts they are available but limited.

Hope that helps.

Payd:)

We did Fantasy out of Port Canavaral in May, 2006, (5 night). Loved the itinerary (especially Half Moon Cay) and decided to do the same cruise last December on Elation. (Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Nassau).

Plenty to do, and lots of places to do nothing, as well. You don't have to be a drunk, party-animal to sail on Carnival.

Embarkation was so smooth in Canavaral. It went much better than in Tampa.

I've been to Jamaica once. We were to go to Ocho Rios but diverted to MoBay instead. We did a ship excursion that was a river rafting trip (2 people on a bamboo raft) that then toured a plantation. Gave us rum cream (yum) and pina coladas made from fresh pineapple and fresh coconut (double yum).

Plenty of horror stories about Jamaica, though. I'd still like to return and see Ocho Rios and Dunns River Falls.

Archived