LIVE FROM THE STAR! We TILTED!

theshireshihtzu

• Administrators

Having been on an aircraft that hit a downburst during final approach (followed by the most hair-raising 15 minutes I've ever spent on an airplane), I know how unsettling such a thing can be. I'm glad the OP is okay (apart from broken crockery, etc.) and I hope that there were no bad injuries as a result of the situation. :(

I must have heard a different announcement than the one mentioned earlier in this thread. No mention of human error. What Captain Lars said was we were maneuvering to avoid a large Humpback Whale in our path and at 25 knots it was quite noticeable. More than likely one of the whales from the pod the other poster was watching when it happened. Oh it was nothing like the one on the SKY. I was there too. This was a slight tilt not a huge list as the SKY did in Victoria.

Still having a great time in the sun...

Cheers,

October 25

Norwegian Star

Norwegian Cruise LineThe following was posted by a passenger at Cruise Critic (the ship is on an 8 day Mexican Riviera cruise to/from Los Angeles): Well we were at the pool, got some sun...beautiful day! Went back to our state room to make some drinks and we were enjoying watching a huge whale and lots of dolphins.....

when all of the sudden the ship tilted! Not a little....ALOT We were listing over and our bar set up and everthing in our room flew on the floor! Including the coffee maker! The ship was finally righted, you could hear passangers screaming. The captian came on and said everything was ok.....he seemed a bit out of breath. Today he made a fomal announcment...something to affect human error...and promised it would not happen again...the waiters were saying they had never had it happen before....plates and food and drinks flying everywhere....visions of the posiden adventure and titanic flashed by me! everyone on board is talking about it. I guess some people were hurt. I don't know all the details....WOW!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/travel/2003959666_cruisebest21.html

Wow... Now I'm getting nervous:eek: I didn't think these huge ships would "tilt" like that! We'll be on her 10/31. I do want to see whales and dolphins, but no wild rides for me.;) Please don't sink her..... it's almost my turn!:p Have a great cruise.

I must have heard a different announcement than the one mentioned earlier in this thread. No mention of human error. What Captain Lars said was we were maneuvering to avoid a large Humpback Whale in our path and at 25 knots it was quite noticeable. More than likely one of the whales from the pod the other poster was watching when it happened. Oh it was nothing like the one on the SKY. I was there too. This was a slight tilt not a huge list as the SKY did in Victoria.

Cheers,

When will you be cruising again? If this is twice for you, I don't think I want to be on the same ship with you!!! :eek: :eek: :D Just kidding, glad you are ok!:p

We were on the Crown Princess shortly after her tilt. I advocate drinking heavily, preferably lots of those little fru-fru drinks with umbrellas in them. :D
You were the guy in the picture that was LICKING all the spilled drinks off the counter?
A guy named Becky????

John

Don't worry about it, John, you know how people are -- when they can't command the discussion with reasoned logic and facts they resort to personal attacks. I'm still trying to figure out what left field this one came out of??? Maybe Gary should have more fru-fru drinks and chill out? ;)

Don't worry about it, John, you know how people are -- when they can't command the discussion with reasoned logic and facts they resort to personal attacks. I'm still trying to figure out what left field this one came out of??? Maybe Gary should have more fru-fru drinks and chill out? ;)

re: my comment about licking drinks off the bar.

It was in response to a comment from Becky that said "I advocate drinking heavily, preferably lots of those little fru-fru drinks with umbrellas in them."

I am amazed that nobody can figure out it was a little humor added to Beckys comment. Sorry I missed the Becky part (he vs she)

Gee whiz folks.

Not a personal attack (on who?)

Not trying to command the discussion (huh?)

But thanks for the suggestion. Two fru fru drinks coming up!

Oh it was nothing like the one on the SKY. I was there too. This was a slight tilt not a huge list as the SKY did in Victoria.

Cheers,

Thanks for the comments, I wondered how it compared.

Did you by any chance get photos of the damage on the Sky posted anywhere? We were in the dining room having lunch when it happened, and then frantically searched the ship for our kids. By the time I worried about my camera, most of the stuff had been cleaned.

I'm giving the Sky (aka: Aloha) a chance to redeem herself in a couple months ;)

When will you be cruising again? If this is twice for you' date=' I don't think I want to be on the same ship with you!!! :eek: :eek: :D Just kidding, glad you are ok!:p[/quote']

hi

to "i'm a cruise lover"...hannahs dad is a performer on the ship. good chance you just might sail with him. lol.

not sure if you knew that.

Pretty sure I'll cruise again. Maybe next week and the next etc.

I have been on the Star since she left Hawaii and this is the biggest (?) event we have ever had and it was really nothing. Something to talk about when recounting a vacation ...

Capt Lars is brilliant and the Star is my home.

mbisson. I have photo's of the SKY but not sure where they are. I tend to look at the thousands of positive photo's I took of her. The SKY was the best ship I have sailed upon and I miss her. Say Hi to the Alhoa for mek, maybe some of the SKY is still in her...

Did you hear that...I think it was a Lobster calling my name!

Cheers,

Well it was big enough to dump our bar service and injure passengers....it dinner last night elderly genteman with stiches and black eye! He fell in his cabin! Severla of the bars lost lots of booze with broken glasses.

It was big enough that I heard from our room steward that rooms on desck 11 got water from pool?????? I don't see how that caould happen. We are on 11 and the only wet on out floor was the bar set up:eek:

The room stewart said they say is IS human error! The captain told them when they swerved to miss the whale they over corrected. Funny the whale was on our side of the ship out a ways....we were watching it from our balcany....the tilt came later....maybe there was more then one whale...I know they travel in pods.

Having a blast! weather has been great, food wonderful.

We have tried Cagneys (great) and the sushi bar...wonderful!

Well it was big enough to dump our bar service and injure passengers....it dinner last night elderly genteman with stiches and black eye! He fell in his cabin! Severla of the bars lost lots of booze with broken glasses.

I've no doubt that it was a big list (and scary). Here's a photo of the fleet of emergency vehicles that met us in Victoria after the Sky listed:

1246922648_NorweiganSky-AlaskaMay2001068.jpg.238e04a99d9ad267f1d330480ad1b899.jpg

A similar thing happened on a cruise I took on the Dream either 1991 or 1992. It was New Year's Eve and everyone was dressed really fancy - lots of long dresses and sequins and everything. We were in one of the lounges when the ship tilted like you describe. People not only fell out of their seats but the entire chairs (you know the roller chairs) spilled over. I even saw a few women who fell over completely and saw their UNDERWEAR in the process. I can laugh about it now!

Everyone was screaming and in a panic and my Dad actually suggested we go outside on deck in case the entire ship fell over we wouldn't be trapped inside!

I've been on many cruises since then but never had an experience like that.

I don't think that would be too exciting! Especially if you don't knowit's coming. I was on the QE2 ina nor'easter and the captain annouced that we would have to turn around (we headed as far south as we could go, somewhre around the Chesapeake bay, before we had turn to go back to NY on a 2 nighter) and that we woud list...and BOY DID WE LIST! It was kind of funny watching the people fall off their stools while pulling the slot machines. They did warn everone to get in a place where the could sit and hold on a good 1/2 hour, then 10 minutes then 5 minutes before. Anyway, a suprise list must have been horrifying and I can't beleive they would put 2000 peolple in jeopardy to save a whale. Hey, I'm all for saving the whales but not at the exspense of human life. What the heck!:eek:

past jan..the going was very smooth going south..but, on the return north..

after leaving cabo...that evening the sea s became very scary..and the wind was blowing hard enough for them to seal all the door s around the

promenade..

i ll see many of u in this coming jan..and we ll do it all over again :p

I can't beleive they would put 2000 peolple in jeopardy to save a whale. Hey, I'm all for saving the whales but not at the exspense of human life. What the heck!:eek:

What a silly comment. If you are under the impression that anyone's life was in jeopardy you should go back and re-read the posts.

We enjoyed our cruise on the Star last winter. Hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Have they replaced the duo singing poolside. I got sick of hearing Donna Summer's song, "Last Dance" every day. I kept wondering why they weren't playing songs like "Mexico" or "Tequilla Sunrise." My favorite song is "Red Red Wine."

Just sailed away from Cabo and it has been a great cruise. Some really "funtastic folks" this cruise! I read this post and wanted to answer:

"Hi ... Hannah's Dad! So glad to hear your report of the *list* on our favorite ship to date! (Although the RD comes in a close second). :)

Are you going to still be on the Star during the week of March 15?"

Hi Bill and Diane,

Nice seeing your posting about the Star.

I won't be on the Star in March. In fact in a few weeks I will not be with Norwegian Cruise Line anymore. No I'm not going to another cruise line with a better offer. New management at NCL has decided to change the way I am treated on the vessel and the new "rules" they will enforce are not how I can live so I'm headed down a different path.

I have had the most amazing time meeting and entertaining the hundreds of thousands of passengers over these years. Meeting folks from CruiseCritic has been a special joy and being able to read peoples reviews of my work, good and bad, have made me a better performer and person.

It's a small world and I'm sure our paths will cross again.

Hannah's Dad ...

http://www.magiChampion.com

"it's my job!"

Archived