Hand sanitizer usage

The people who worry about using hand sanitizer are the people who are washing their hands anyway.

A LOT of people do not wash their hands enough, especially restaurant waiters, according to my own kids. Those are the people who are getting others sick, and no matter how clean you keep your own hands, if you touch anything the non-washers have handled, you're doomed.

So wash your own hands, and try not to touch too many public areas.

Why would they? 90% of guys don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom, you think they use hand sanitizers. I do not shake another guys hand. I might as well grab his groin.

BTW, according to my wife: women are not that much better in the hand wash percentage.

Don't mean to be picky and I've seen my share of bathroom going non-handwashing women but, studies have shown women are much better.:)

On the Jewel this past September there were hand sanitizer stations only in the windjammer and as you re boarded the ship while in port. FYI Purell makes hand sanitizer towelettes now if you don't want to carry a bottle.

Last fall Explorer had them at every dining venue.

I just got off the Explorer and they only had two machines at the front of the Windjammer. Nothing anywhere else on the ship.

And I watched to see how many peole even used them - I'd say at least half the passengers walked right by without a squirt. I always wonder if those same people wash their hands after they use the bathroom.

[/b]

Don't mean to be picky and I've seen my share of bathroom going non-handwashing women but, studies have shown women are much better.:)

II am a retired microbiologist, and I have previously told the story of how I found women's restrooms in our building so dirty whenever my examiners were taking water samples there. Women, you are also guilty parties all too often!:eek:

Look, you can have a million hand sanitizers on a ship but if people were brought up to be pigs, etc., they'll ignore them!:(

Absolutely, all goes back to upbringing. I know a 2 year old that after pottying is reaching for the sink even though she isn't even close to reaching the soap (which she insists on), and water. She's been taught and knows what to do after using the potty.:) Shame on the adults who have to be reminded.

When I was on the Adventure last April, there were hand sanitizer stations at all the dining venues. They are easy to miss since they are mounted on the side walls so if you are entering with the mob you might not see. We were having a mild outbreak on my ship so the waiters were making sure we had sanitizer as we entered. They also started serving you in the Windjammer for the last couple of days.

I keep both Wet Ones and Purell around when I'm on the ship. I'm always amazed at how many people barely wash their hands or don't at all before leaving the restroom.

Jen

Just off the Raidaince and no sanitizers were out anywhere. One out if there is an active virus on the ship. You could see them by the gangway but they were behind something. There were signs in all bathrooms to wash your hands. So bring your own like I do.

Lexi

We were on the Grandeur the end of August I didn't notice those familar dispensers that I saw on every other RCCL ship that I have sailed on. I was curious and mentioned this to the Captain at the welcome back party. He asked when I had sailed before, and I told him always in the winter. "Well that explains it then" he said. "We usually only put them during the cold and flu season".

We were on the Grandeur the end of August I didn't notice those familar dispensers that I saw on every other RCCL ship that I have sailed on. I was curious and mentioned this to the Captain at the welcome back party. He asked when I had sailed before, and I told him always in the winter. "Well that explains it then" he said. "We usually only put them during the cold and flu season".

There were hand sanitizers all over on Liberty of the Seas in July. (windjammer, dining room, boarding the ship, sorrento's, fitness center) Although, I believe that they were there because the ship had a recent outbreak. It's the first time I've ever seen hand sanitizers on a ship in July. Liberty of the Seas had a mini outbreak in June. I assumed that's why. Everyone had to sign a paper before they boarded too. Had to write down how the person arrived (from a hotel, from an airplane, etc.). Then, had to sign your name that you haven't been sick (with vomiting, diarrhea, etc.)

Near the end of the week, I noticed that it was harder to find a hand sanitizer. Sorrento's usually had a hand sanitizer on the table. It was gone by the end of the week. I had to walk all the way down to Cafe Promenade to get a hand sanitizer.

I used hand sanitizers everytime I seen them. Also, I washed my hands a lot too. :)

We just returned from the Liberty yesterday. On the first 2 days no sanitizer of any kind was out. On the evening of the 2nd day when we went to the DR there were crew holding out containers of Purell wipes making sure everyone got one. This went on for the rest of the cruise at any eating place, even the cafe promonade.

When we came back from shore the wipes were there again and you did not pass further unless you took one before boarding. We felt this was all fine and prefered the use of the wipes compared to the liquid gel stuff.

Everyday there was a notice about noro and washing your hands, also signs in the restrooms. We did not notice any signs of sickness.

Bev

I watched to see how many peole even used them - I'd say at least half the passengers walked right by without a squirt. I always wonder if those same people wash their hands after they use the bathroom.

Though most of the people who do use them only squirt a small amount into their hand and only rub very briefly. This is about as effective as not using any at all. Also these waterless anti-bacterial soaps are less effective than traditional washing so people with dirty hands who use them instead of traditional hand washing on a cruise ship also are far from squeeky clean. Guess we just have to cross our fingers and hope that we get the "good" bacteria.

The people who worry about using hand sanitizer are the people who are washing their hands anyway.

A LOT of people do not wash their hands enough, especially restaurant waiters, according to my own kids. Those are the people who are getting others sick, and no matter how clean you keep your own hands, if you touch anything the non-washers have handled, you're doomed.

So wash your own hands, and try not to touch too many public areas.

You pretty much summed it all up right there.

Hand sanitizers might not kill (noro) viruses

Hi, I have posted 'this' some time ago on a similar thread :

at one time I thought the hand sanitizers were the best way to prevent the spread of not only bacteria but viruses as well ....... untill I started reading some of the threads and posts on Cruise Critic .... and that in turn send me to look for more information elsewhere ........ and now I am not as strong of a believer in hand sanitizers ...... for sure it is good that they are there and being used but 'they' might not do much to prevent the spread of norovirus.

I just read an interseting article about hand washing and hand sanitizers,

here is a link ; http://www.asm.org/Media/index.asp?bid=42835 ....... plain water hand washing removed 96% of the virus , antibacterial liquid soap 88% and alcohol based sanitizer only 46% ........ I was surprised.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/Hand...ashingTips.htm ........ they recommend hand washing first

Wes

On Mariner they were militant about sanitizing wipes. You couldn't walk into any food venue without a wet wipe being pushed at you. I'm a hand washer, and I appreciated the effort, but even the crew were joking about it. I sanitized to walk into the Promenade Cafe to get some cookies. I took them to my table and decided I wanted milk, so I had to sanitize to be handed a carton of milk. Then I wanted something else and had to sanitize yet again. By the end of the cruise I half wondered if they were going to step it up a notch and meet us with high pressure hoses to walk past the dining room.

Archived