Russia with Vantage

zogrand

Here's my first review. I hope it's not too long but it was a wonderful trip and I had a hard time skipping part of the experience. We loved Russia!

Last year, four of us decided to travel to Russia. After much research, we decided to travel with Vantage. We found many cruises have hotel stays in Moscow and St. Petersburg, but we chose to stay on the ship the whole trip rather than unpacking and repacking the extra times. I see now that Vantage has a hotel stay in Moscow. Traffic was a major problem in both cities so the hotel stay may be a better solution, depending on hotel location. Our trip was scheduled for September 18 – October 3, 2007. I hate to travel in hot weather so the dates seemed perfect for us. We had perfect weather – sunny in the 60’s during the whole trip. This, however, is not normal for the time of year.

Our flight arrangements were made by Vantage. We live in the suburbs of Boston so had a direct flight to Frankfurt with Lufthanser and then continuing on to Moscow. The connections were good with sufficient time between flights. The airline was on schedule. They serve lots of food and many complimentary drinks including after dinner cognac or Bailey’s. I heard many complaints about the return flight mainly concerning length of the flight and uncomfortable seating but, to me, these are the hazard of flying and not poor planning on the part of Vantage or the airline.

Our arrival in Moscow was smooth. The line to go through customs was long and slow. The Russian officials seemed in no hurry. Vantage representatives were waiting as soon as we were through customs. They had porters immediately take our luggage and transport it to waiting buses, gave us time to change money at the nearby ATM, and off we went.

The Boat - My expectations of the MS Nikolay Chernyshevsky were quite low. I was pleasantly surprised. The boat is spotlessly clean. There is no getting around the fact that the cabins are small but they were quite well planned. Our bathroom door was to the right and a large cabinet to the left. The cabinet had 2 doors with hanging space on both sides and shelves above and below and one drawer on each side. There was space under the cabinet on the floor for shoes. There were about 14 hangers available although we had brought extras. Our room had a large window nearly the width of the room. A small bed is on each side of the cabin. They are narrow and fairly short. They did not look comfortable but were surprisingly comfy. I slept well every night and never heard any complaints about the beds. One of our travel companions is well over 6 feet and he had no problem being comfortable. Between the beds under the window was a shelf and under that was a small frig. Over one of the beds is another shelf with 2 small cabinets for additional storage. If you want additional room luggage can be stored during the cruise and returned the day before departure. There is an air conditioner. It definitely kept the room cooler but not as cool as some passengers would have liked. I’m not sure how effective it would have been in hot weather. We didn’t have our window open but those who did had mosquito visitors. Don’t speak too loudly in the cabins. Sound does travel, especially in the bathroom. One day I found myself answering the man next door as he talked with his wife. Our cabin was across from the hair salon but it was always quiet. Some cabins are very close to the bars, dining rooms, and coffee bar. I imagine these rooms could be noisy.

I was especially nervous about the “nautical shower”. No need to worry. The shower hose comes out of the back of the faucet and attaches to the wall with a shower head like the ones in England – on a pole which makes them adjustable. Once you adjust the water temp in the sink just pull the knob and the shower turns on. Water pressure was fair but there was always plenty of hot water. A shower curtain pulls around the door and toilet area. The sink and shelf area were always open so shower articles were always easy to reach. Shampoo, conditioner, shower soap, regular soap, lotion, shower caps, face cloths, towels and sewing kit were provided. The hair dryer was good and plugged in right under a mirror – outside of the bathroom.

Public areas on the boat were also very clean and well cared for. There are 2 bars, one small, one larger. The conference room is large, well air conditioned and the site of informational talks, movies, craft classes, and concerts. Activities are usually presented twice to accommodate everyone. Two dining rooms provide seating room for everyone at the same time. Tables seat 2 to 6, most are 6. The coffee bar supplied brewed coffee, tea, hot chocolate and cookies and crackers from 6 AM until 11 PM. If the weather is good the bow outside the Panorama Bar on 4 and the sun deck on 5 were great for hanging out.

The meals – Breakfast was wonderful. It was buffet style. There were always pastries, desserts, cereals, cheeses, meats, breads, fresh fruit, yoghurts, juices, tea, and coffee. The hot buffet usually included bacon, scrambled eggs, and sautéed potatoes. Other choices included blinis, eggs benedict, boiled eggs and other yummy things. We were usually asked to pick our food choices for lunch and dinner the day before. There was soup at every meal – they were delicious. Salads were good. Cukes, lettuce, tomatoes and peppers always looked and tasted colorful and fresh. Bread was always on the table. Meals were simple but good – not gourmet but we thought they were just fine. Desserts were usually ice cream or fresh fruit. One glass of red or white wine was offered each night. Any more and you have to pay for it. All the meals were scheduled according to the plans for the day.

Money – We brought enough money in American bills to cover the tips (ship staff and program manager) plus about $400. At the airport we used the ATM to get 8000 rubles (about $320). We never needed any other money. We used credit cards when able – which was most of the time. It was suggested that we not use credit cards with the small bazaar type merchants. American money was generally accepted. Any rubles we had left we used for the tips the last day, instead of American. Local guides were used whenever there was a tour - more tipping for them. Small bills (American) were handy for this. Bus drivers too needed tips.

Disembarkation was handled well. You got off the ship according to flight departure. Breakfast was provided – even for the very early departures. We were asked to vacate our cabins by 9 AM. Our bus left at 11 AM. A program manager accompanied us and stayed at the airport with us until we were through the first passport check.

The Trip

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU GO TO http://WWW.RUSSIABYRIVER.COM AND BUY THE BOOK “RUSSIA BY RIVER”. It gives a description of every thing you see as you glide along the canals, rivers, and lakes. We asked Vantage to give us the book and they did but I’m not sure if that is still the case. It’s certainly worth a try. The book costs about $18 if you have to buy it. It’s pocket size and includes maps, pictures, and info about each town visited. We loved it and other passengers often expressed the wish that they had known about the book.

Moscow is a wonderful city. I don’t know what I expected but it wasn’t what I found. It’s a bustling city on the move. We saw IKEA, McDonalds, Sbarro, Subway, and American companies advertised on countless billboards. Construction is everywhere. Traffic is horrible. One day it took us 1½ hours to get from the boat to the city. Everyone seemed friendly. The architecture was amazing – soviet, modern, colorful, classic. At the same time many buildings were in very poor repair. Traffic everywhere – road construction, breakdowns, accidents are the norm. We learned that we would be divided into groups of about 34-38. Each group would have it’s own English speaking program manager – ours was Natasha – she was great but I think they all were good. We received an orientation talk about the trip and each evening received a print out of the next day’s schedule. Moscow was a very busy one. We stopped at Red Square the first day. We went into the GUM department store for a look and bathroom break and saw the Kremlin Wall, Lenin’s Tomb, and St. Basil’s Cathedral but did not go in. We traveled to Sparrow Hill for great views of the city and then to the New Maiden Convent. We went inside the walls of the convent but not inside any of the buildings. We took a boat ride on the river. Lunch, buffet style, was served on the tour boat as we sailed along the river. The cruise lasted about 1½ hours. We were back on our boat for dinner before heading to the Opera. We were given a private, open seat performance of a Rossini review. It was wonderful. The Tretyakov Art Gallery – a museum of only Russian art was amazing. I had no idea of the talent of Russian artists. We were given a tour but could only briefly see each work we were shown –too much too fast. We would have loved to have spent more time there. An orientation to the subway system was offered on our second day but did visit a local super market which was fun. We didn’t take it so can’t comment on it. The tour of the Kremlin was good. It was amazing to actually go through the Kremlin Wall. We went into the Armory with a tour guide who showed us the most important displays including the Faberge Eggs, gifts received by the Czars, coronation clothing, thrones, and carriages. Again, we wished for more time. After leaving the Armory we saw a military and horse drill within the Kremlin followed by quick trip into the Cathedral of the Annunciation – also within the Kremlin Walls. Outside of the Kremlin Wall we were also able to see the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier – very impressive. The Moscow Circus was wonderful! We had great seats and it was truly a treat – laser lighting, talented acrobats, as well as ice skaters, rope walkers, clowns and trained animals. Before heading up the canals and rivers we visited 3 metro stations. Since we live near Boston, we were very impressed with the Metro – it was clean, beautiful and on time! At the final stop we were able to spend an hour on Arbat Street for shopping. We also wandered by the home of the American ambassador but Russians guards stopped us when we tried to take pictures! We did what they told us!!

We took the optional tour of Moscow at night. Victory Park was beautiful but otherwise there was nothing special about the tour. You’re able to see lots of night time lighting returning from the circus and the opera.

Along the Rivers, Canals, and Lakes Cruising was great. It was so interesting to see the homes, factories, and people along the way. I found a review of cruising in Russia detailing impressions and I think it is still appropriate (It was written in 2002). The site is: http://www.cruisereviews.com/Uniworld/Tolstoy.htm. It’s the review by Al and Ruth Clem. It’s worth reading. I loved watching the world go by and never tired of cruising along. If you do get bored there is always a class or movie to go to or you could bring a book. I brought a book but never read it.

Uglich was a lovely small town. You’re able to walk to everything. We went into the St. Demitry Church and the Transfiguration Cathedral. We were treated to an acappella concert in the Cathedral. There were 5 singers and it sounded as if there were 50. Their sound filled the church. They were astounding! This was one of the best towns for craft shopping. There were countless stands along the walk back to the boat selling everything imaginable. It was here that we had our home hosted meal. You’re instructed to divide up into groups of 8 (Find your group early if there is someone special you’d like to join you.) – and off you go in a cab with your hostess – who doesn’t speak English. The meal is set and you do your best to communicate. It was quite an experience.

Yaroslavl is a fairly large city. We visited the Puppet Theater and Museum (If you’re interested in hand painted boxes, look here.), the Transfiguration Monastery where we were treated to another concert in the Church of Elijah the Prophet, and had time to spend in a food and flea market.

Goritsky is another sleepy little town of neat, colorful houses. Vendors near the boat were selling dried fish, furs, vodka, and honey. The Kirillo-Belozersky Monastery is large and very beautiful. The museum building displayed many icons and in the church we enjoyed another concert. The musicians in Russia are so gifted. Their voices certainly reach the heavens!

Kizhi Island is an outdoor museum of beautiful wooden buildings. We had a guided tour and went into the winter church. The large summer church is undergoing restoration and wasn’t open although the outside is stunning.

Mondrogi is a quaint tourist area. The buildings are representative of Russian architecture and talented craftsmen and women are creating their wares in the buildings. The Matrioshka Dolls were especially beautiful here – although expensive. Lunch was a traditional Russian barbecue. The meat was delicious!

St. Petersburg This city is so different from Moscow. It seems quieter and more dignified. The architecture is beautiful. The orientation tour of the city brought us by the Hermitage several churches and Saints Peter and Paul Fortress. We went into the Cathedral of SS Peter and Paul where the Czars are buried – including Alexander, Peter the Great, and Czar Nicholas and his family whol were murdered in 1917. Several stops gave us the chance to take pictures. The evening brought us a Folklore Show in a beautiful theatre. The music and dancing was very entertaining and the show was just for the tour group so seating was close to the stage. The tour of the Hermitage Museum was much like the other museum tours – lots of information but not enough time. The buildings are stunning as is the art. The museum is very crowded. After the tour, there is free time and you can stay to see more but we found it overwhelming and chose to stay in the city but visit St. Isaac’s instead. That evening we saw the ballet “Giselle” performed in the theater in the Hermitage – again open seating for the private performance. Peterhof was another amazing place. I’m running out of superlatives! The fountains were beautiful. We did not go into the palace itself but did go into Catherine’s Block – her 6 room summer palace. The main palace was closed the day we were there so am not sure if the Catherine’s Block is always seen or if you go into the main palace on other days. Riches are everywhere. Catherine’s Palace at Pushkin was also stunning. We saw the amber room in all it’s glory. The Great Hall had gold everywhere! We went downtown again on the courtesy bus to the city center in the afternoon and went into the Church on the Spilled Blood. I had never seen so many beautiful mosaics in this church.

Optional Tours Our tour manager told us that visiting the Yusupov Palace is nearly Impossible without a tour so we decided to go – and we weren’t sorry! This elegant palace took our breath away. Seeing the murder scene of Rasputin brought history alive. We also took the canal boat ride which was very enjoyable. It was very interesting to get a different view of the buildings and the city. We didn’t go on the Pavlovsk tour but those who did said the palace was much more home like that the others and they were glad they had gone.

Life on Board There were many cultural offerings during our time on board. At the gift shop everyday there were informational papers about everything Russian: holidays, superstitions, lock descriptions, icons,linen, amber, etc. There were port talks, language lessons, matryoshka painting, Russian dance classes, a round table discussion with university students from Yaroslavl, introduction to Russian fairy tales, history talks, blini cooking lessons, vodka tasting, and a Russian tea party. Photographers took pictures everywhere on and off the boat and could be ordered. There were Russian musicians on board giving frequent concerts. They made Russian life come alive. Every night there was a movie in the conference room. The movie usually had to do with Russia – The Russia House, Balalayka, The Russians are Coming, Moscow on the Hudson, etc. A piano player was in the bar for 45 minutes in the evening. He was talented but his repertoire was limited.

All in all we loved our trip and we loved Russia. Vantage gave us several discount cards for new customers (you can’t be on their mailing list). The card gives $50 per person off a booked cruise. If anyone is interested, I’d be happy to mail one to you. My email is akmom@comcast.net.

I'm only sorry we're already booked for next May or we'd ask for one of your cards. Now I can't wait for the trip to get here. I'm going to read through this a couple more times- you did an incredible job of bringing the cruise to life. And the first review ever of Vantage's Russia offering, we have a much better idea of what to expect, what to plan and what to bring. I was so afraid we'd get bored as there didn't seem to be a lot of shore time during the trip from Moscow to St. Petersburg, but from your trip notes I can tell there was a Lot going on. Thanks so much for taking all the time to share this with us. I know it was a huge job but we really truly appreciate it!

• 3 years later...
Here's my first review. I hope it's not too long but it was a wonderful trip and I had a hard time skipping part of the experience. We loved Russia!

Last year, four of us decided to travel to Russia. After much research, we decided to travel with Vantage. We found many cruises have hotel stays in Moscow and St. Petersburg, but we chose to stay on the ship the whole trip rather than unpacking and repacking the extra times. I see now that Vantage has a hotel stay in Moscow. Traffic was a major problem in both cities so the hotel stay may be a better solution, depending on hotel location. Our trip was scheduled for September 18 – October 3, 2007. I hate to travel in hot weather so the dates seemed perfect for us. We had perfect weather – sunny in the 60’s during the whole trip. This, however, is not normal for the time of year.

Our flight arrangements were made by Vantage. We live in the suburbs of Boston so had a direct flight to Frankfurt with Lufthanser and then continuing on to Moscow. The connections were good with sufficient time between flights. The airline was on schedule. They serve lots of food and many complimentary drinks including after dinner cognac or Bailey’s. I heard many complaints about the return flight mainly concerning length of the flight and uncomfortable seating but, to me, these are the hazard of flying and not poor planning on the part of Vantage or the airline.

Our arrival in Moscow was smooth. The line to go through customs was long and slow. The Russian officials seemed in no hurry. Vantage representatives were waiting as soon as we were through customs. They had porters immediately take our luggage and transport it to waiting buses, gave us time to change money at the nearby ATM, and off we went.

The Boat - My expectations of the MS Nikolay Chernyshevsky were quite low. I was pleasantly surprised. The boat is spotlessly clean. There is no getting around the fact that the cabins are small but they were quite well planned. Our bathroom door was to the right and a large cabinet to the left. The cabinet had 2 doors with hanging space on both sides and shelves above and below and one drawer on each side. There was space under the cabinet on the floor for shoes. There were about 14 hangers available although we had brought extras. Our room had a large window nearly the width of the room. A small bed is on each side of the cabin. They are narrow and fairly short. They did not look comfortable but were surprisingly comfy. I slept well every night and never heard any complaints about the beds. One of our travel companions is well over 6 feet and he had no problem being comfortable. Between the beds under the window was a shelf and under that was a small frig. Over one of the beds is another shelf with 2 small cabinets for additional storage. If you want additional room luggage can be stored during the cruise and returned the day before departure. There is an air conditioner. It definitely kept the room cooler but not as cool as some passengers would have liked. I’m not sure how effective it would have been in hot weather. We didn’t have our window open but those who did had mosquito visitors. Don’t speak too loudly in the cabins. Sound does travel, especially in the bathroom. One day I found myself answering the man next door as he talked with his wife. Our cabin was across from the hair salon but it was always quiet. Some cabins are very close to the bars, dining rooms, and coffee bar. I imagine these rooms could be noisy.

I was especially nervous about the “nautical shower”. No need to worry. The shower hose comes out of the back of the faucet and attaches to the wall with a shower head like the ones in England – on a pole which makes them adjustable. Once you adjust the water temp in the sink just pull the knob and the shower turns on. Water pressure was fair but there was always plenty of hot water. A shower curtain pulls around the door and toilet area. The sink and shelf area were always open so shower articles were always easy to reach. Shampoo, conditioner, shower soap, regular soap, lotion, shower caps, face cloths, towels and sewing kit were provided. The hair dryer was good and plugged in right under a mirror – outside of the bathroom.

Public areas on the boat were also very clean and well cared for. There are 2 bars, one small, one larger. The conference room is large, well air conditioned and the site of informational talks, movies, craft classes, and concerts. Activities are usually presented twice to accommodate everyone. Two dining rooms provide seating room for everyone at the same time. Tables seat 2 to 6, most are 6. The coffee bar supplied brewed coffee, tea, hot chocolate and cookies and crackers from 6 AM until 11 PM. If the weather is good the bow outside the Panorama Bar on 4 and the sun deck on 5 were great for hanging out.

The meals – Breakfast was wonderful. It was buffet style. There were always pastries, desserts, cereals, cheeses, meats, breads, fresh fruit, yoghurts, juices, tea, and coffee. The hot buffet usually included bacon, scrambled eggs, and sautéed potatoes. Other choices included blinis, eggs benedict, boiled eggs and other yummy things. We were usually asked to pick our food choices for lunch and dinner the day before. There was soup at every meal – they were delicious. Salads were good. Cukes, lettuce, tomatoes and peppers always looked and tasted colorful and fresh. Bread was always on the table. Meals were simple but good – not gourmet but we thought they were just fine. Desserts were usually ice cream or fresh fruit. One glass of red or white wine was offered each night. Any more and you have to pay for it. All the meals were scheduled according to the plans for the day.

Money – We brought enough money in American bills to cover the tips (ship staff and program manager) plus about $400. At the airport we used the ATM to get 8000 rubles (about $320). We never needed any other money. We used credit cards when able – which was most of the time. It was suggested that we not use credit cards with the small bazaar type merchants. American money was generally accepted. Any rubles we had left we used for the tips the last day, instead of American. Local guides were used whenever there was a tour - more tipping for them. Small bills (American) were handy for this. Bus drivers too needed tips.

Disembarkation was handled well. You got off the ship according to flight departure. Breakfast was provided – even for the very early departures. We were asked to vacate our cabins by 9 AM. Our bus left at 11 AM. A program manager accompanied us and stayed at the airport with us until we were through the first passport check.

The Trip

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU GO TO WWW.RUSSIABYRIVER.COM AND BUY THE BOOK “RUSSIA BY RIVER”. It gives a description of every thing you see as you glide along the canals, rivers, and lakes. We asked Vantage to give us the book and they did but I’m not sure if that is still the case. It’s certainly worth a try. The book costs about $18 if you have to buy it. It’s pocket size and includes maps, pictures, and info about each town visited. We loved it and other passengers often expressed the wish that they had known about the book.

Moscow is a wonderful city. I don’t know what I expected but it wasn’t what I found. It’s a bustling city on the move. We saw IKEA, McDonalds, Sbarro, Subway, and American companies advertised on countless billboards. Construction is everywhere. Traffic is horrible. One day it took us 1½ hours to get from the boat to the city. Everyone seemed friendly. The architecture was amazing – soviet, modern, colorful, classic. At the same time many buildings were in very poor repair. Traffic everywhere – road construction, breakdowns, accidents are the norm. We learned that we would be divided into groups of about 34-38. Each group would have it’s own English speaking program manager – ours was Natasha – she was great but I think they all were good. We received an orientation talk about the trip and each evening received a print out of the next day’s schedule. Moscow was a very busy one. We stopped at Red Square the first day. We went into the GUM department store for a look and bathroom break and saw the Kremlin Wall, Lenin’s Tomb, and St. Basil’s Cathedral but did not go in. We traveled to Sparrow Hill for great views of the city and then to the New Maiden Convent. We went inside the walls of the convent but not inside any of the buildings. We took a boat ride on the river. Lunch, buffet style, was served on the tour boat as we sailed along the river. The cruise lasted about 1½ hours. We were back on our boat for dinner before heading to the Opera. We were given a private, open seat performance of a Rossini review. It was wonderful. The Tretyakov Art Gallery – a museum of only Russian art was amazing. I had no idea of the talent of Russian artists. We were given a tour but could only briefly see each work we were shown –too much too fast. We would have loved to have spent more time there. An orientation to the subway system was offered on our second day but did visit a local super market which was fun. We didn’t take it so can’t comment on it. The tour of the Kremlin was good. It was amazing to actually go through the Kremlin Wall. We went into the Armory with a tour guide who showed us the most important displays including the Faberge Eggs, gifts received by the Czars, coronation clothing, thrones, and carriages. Again, we wished for more time. After leaving the Armory we saw a military and horse drill within the Kremlin followed by quick trip into the Cathedral of the Annunciation – also within the Kremlin Walls. Outside of the Kremlin Wall we were also able to see the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier – very impressive. The Moscow Circus was wonderful! We had great seats and it was truly a treat – laser lighting, talented acrobats, as well as ice skaters, rope walkers, clowns and trained animals. Before heading up the canals and rivers we visited 3 metro stations. Since we live near Boston, we were very impressed with the Metro – it was clean, beautiful and on time! At the final stop we were able to spend an hour on Arbat Street for shopping. We also wandered by the home of the American ambassador but Russians guards stopped us when we tried to take pictures! We did what they told us!!

We took the optional tour of Moscow at night. Victory Park was beautiful but otherwise there was nothing special about the tour. You’re able to see lots of night time lighting returning from the circus and the opera.

Along the Rivers, Canals, and Lakes Cruising was great. It was so interesting to see the homes, factories, and people along the way. I found a review of cruising in Russia detailing impressions and I think it is still appropriate (It was written in 2002). The site is: www.cruisereviews.com/Uniworld/Tolstoy.htm. It’s the review by Al and Ruth Clem. It’s worth reading. I loved watching the world go by and never tired of cruising along. If you do get bored there is always a class or movie to go to or you could bring a book. I brought a book but never read it.

Uglich was a lovely small town. You’re able to walk to everything. We went into the St. Demitry Church and the Transfiguration Cathedral. We were treated to an acappella concert in the Cathedral. There were 5 singers and it sounded as if there were 50. Their sound filled the church. They were astounding! This was one of the best towns for craft shopping. There were countless stands along the walk back to the boat selling everything imaginable. It was here that we had our home hosted meal. You’re instructed to divide up into groups of 8 (Find your group early if there is someone special you’d like to join you.) – and off you go in a cab with your hostess – who doesn’t speak English. The meal is set and you do your best to communicate. It was quite an experience.

Yaroslavl is a fairly large city. We visited the Puppet Theater and Museum (If you’re interested in hand painted boxes, look here.), the Transfiguration Monastery where we were treated to another concert in the Church of Elijah the Prophet, and had time to spend in a food and flea market.

Goritsky is another sleepy little town of neat, colorful houses. Vendors near the boat were selling dried fish, furs, vodka, and honey. The Kirillo-Belozersky Monastery is large and very beautiful. The museum building displayed many icons and in the church we enjoyed another concert. The musicians in Russia are so gifted. Their voices certainly reach the heavens!

Kizhi Island is an outdoor museum of beautiful wooden buildings. We had a guided tour and went into the winter church. The large summer church is undergoing restoration and wasn’t open although the outside is stunning.

Mondrogi is a quaint tourist area. The buildings are representative of Russian architecture and talented craftsmen and women are creating their wares in the buildings. The Matrioshka Dolls were especially beautiful here – although expensive. Lunch was a traditional Russian barbecue. The meat was delicious!

St. Petersburg This city is so different from Moscow. It seems quieter and more dignified. The architecture is beautiful. The orientation tour of the city brought us by the Hermitage several churches and Saints Peter and Paul Fortress. We went into the Cathedral of SS Peter and Paul where the Czars are buried – including Alexander, Peter the Great, and Czar Nicholas and his family whol were murdered in 1917. Several stops gave us the chance to take pictures. The evening brought us a Folklore Show in a beautiful theatre. The music and dancing was very entertaining and the show was just for the tour group so seating was close to the stage. The tour of the Hermitage Museum was much like the other museum tours – lots of information but not enough time. The buildings are stunning as is the art. The museum is very crowded. After the tour, there is free time and you can stay to see more but we found it overwhelming and chose to stay in the city but visit St. Isaac’s instead. That evening we saw the ballet “Giselle” performed in the theater in the Hermitage – again open seating for the private performance. Peterhof was another amazing place. I’m running out of superlatives! The fountains were beautiful. We did not go into the palace itself but did go into Catherine’s Block – her 6 room summer palace. The main palace was closed the day we were there so am not sure if the Catherine’s Block is always seen or if you go into the main palace on other days. Riches are everywhere. Catherine’s Palace at Pushkin was also stunning. We saw the amber room in all it’s glory. The Great Hall had gold everywhere! We went downtown again on the courtesy bus to the city center in the afternoon and went into the Church on the Spilled Blood. I had never seen so many beautiful mosaics in this church.

Optional Tours Our tour manager told us that visiting the Yusupov Palace is nearly Impossible without a tour so we decided to go – and we weren’t sorry! This elegant palace took our breath away. Seeing the murder scene of Rasputin brought history alive. We also took the canal boat ride which was very enjoyable. It was very interesting to get a different view of the buildings and the city. We didn’t go on the Pavlovsk tour but those who did said the palace was much more home like that the others and they were glad they had gone.

Life on Board There were many cultural offerings during our time on board. At the gift shop everyday there were informational papers about everything Russian: holidays, superstitions, lock descriptions, icons,linen, amber, etc. There were port talks, language lessons, matryoshka painting, Russian dance classes, a round table discussion with university students from Yaroslavl, introduction to Russian fairy tales, history talks, blini cooking lessons, vodka tasting, and a Russian tea party. Photographers took pictures everywhere on and off the boat and could be ordered. There were Russian musicians on board giving frequent concerts. They made Russian life come alive. Every night there was a movie in the conference room. The movie usually had to do with Russia – The Russia House, Balalayka, The Russians are Coming, Moscow on the Hudson, etc. A piano player was in the bar for 45 minutes in the evening. He was talented but his repertoire was limited.

All in all we loved our trip and we loved Russia. Vantage gave us several discount cards for new customers (you can’t be on their mailing list). The card gives $50 per person off a booked cruise. If anyone is interested, I’d be happy to mail one to you. My email is akmom@comcast.net.

Thanks for the great review and pics. We picked Vantage for this cruise after reading that Vantage uses hotels in Moscow and St. Petersburg.

Tom:)

I hadn't read my review in a long time - it brought back wonderful memories. Our trip to Russia is still one of my all time favorite vacations. We just completed the Grand Norwegian Coastal Voyage with Vantage and were very pleased with that trip also. When are you going to Russia? Have a wonderful trip!!

I hadn't read my review in a long time - it brought back wonderful memories. Our trip to Russia is still one of my all time favorite vacations. We just completed the Grand Norwegian Coastal Voyage with Vantage and were very pleased with that trip also. When are you going to Russia? Have a wonderful trip!!

We have signed up for 6-26-12 trip w. Baltic extension. Thanks again. Tom:)

Archived