Why Not Call it Charity instead of Tipping?

NolaGuy

TIPS, IMO, are for good service. If I don't receive good service, I'm lowering my auto tip. I'm not picky either. I want a clean cabin, fresh towels, turn down service from my cabin steward. I'd like my server to remember what I order and be pleasant. Is this too much?

I'm sick of all these posters stating that they would NEVER remove or lower the automatic gratuities no matter what the service was like b/c those poor stewards, waiters, etc. are from 3rd world countries and send all of their money home to their families, etc. If I get poor service, I will lower the tip or remove it all together and explain why. I don't care where the steward or server is from or how many children they have starving in some godforsaken place, if they don't do a good job, they're not getting any money from me. If I wanted to tip them just because their poor, then lets just quit calling it tipping and call it charity.

progress.gif

TIPS, IMO, are for good service. If I don't receive good service, I'm lowering my auto tip. I'm not picky either. I want a clean cabin, fresh towels, turn down service from my cabin steward. I'd like my server to remember what I order and be pleasant. Is this too much?

I'm sick of all these posters stating that they would NEVER remove or lower the automatic gratuities no matter what the service was like b/c those poor stewards, waiters, etc. are from 3rd world countries and send all of their money home to their families, etc. If I get poor service, I will lower the tip or remove it all together and explain why. I don't care where the steward or server is from or how many children they have starving in some godforsaken place, if they don't do a good job, they're not getting any money from me. If I wanted to tip them just because their poor, then lets just quit calling it tipping and call it charity.

progress.gif

I, for one, tip because of the service and nothing else. If your cabin steward doesn't do his or her job adjust your tip accordingly and be done with it. I would.

Although I certainly haven't been on as many cruises as a number of the members here it has always been my experience that the service I received was far better than the minimum I expected. That, in my opinion, is worthy of and additional gratuity.

Do with your money as you will. It's your cruise.

Just my $.02...

Oddly enough as someone who has worked and supported children on tips, I would have to agree with you! Bet you didn't expect that, huh? lol :D If I provide poor service, I certainly would not expect to be tipped even though I am a single mom with three children and putting myself through college. We all have a story....just because I have it rougher or easier than some shouldn't mean my tips are a given. Tips should be given based on service, not the server's life situation. However I did get a lot of sympathy tips when I was waddling around 7-8 months pregnant! ;)

The only problem though is that there are people who are just plain cheap. You could provide 5 star service and still get the shaft. Fair? Not really, but the current system Carnival has does provide a safety net for that scenario. I wish my boss would have let his servers have that option. I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen staff tipped poorly or not at all even though they go above and beyond.

I think of the tips as just being part of the cost of the cruise.

Most times (but not all) the attendants receive additional tips from us for a job very well done.

Personally, I wish they would just increase the cost of the cruise to cover it. That way no one would get stiffed because someone decided they can't afford $10 a day. (not the OP...another thread I read on this)

progress.gif

AMEN brother...

Good service = Nice tip from me

Poor service = Poor tip

Bad service = no tip

I work hard for my money and I'm not going to reward bad service.

As someone who has also worked for tips to support themself and a child I agree w/ the OP. A tip is simply a "reward" for good service. It is not a guarantee. I have been to establishments that auto charge tips for certain size parties and I think the service is less than good. Sometimes I think when someone knows it is guaranteed, they do not work for it and provide you the service you deserve. And I am not talking about anything out of the ordinary. We have been to places where they cannot even keep a glass of water full because they know they're getting the tip regardless. I consider myself a great tipper and have no prob throwing down the money when it is earned. Also, IMO, when "tips" are auto added people may be getting less than they would have received otherwise. In a nutshell I dsiagree with auto tips anywhere, not just a cruise.

As someone who has also worked for tips to support themself and a child I agree w/ the OP. A tip is simply a "reward" for good service. It is not a guarantee. I have been to establishments that auto charge tips for certain size parties and I think the service is less than good. Sometimes I think when someone knows it is guaranteed, they do not work for it and provide you the service you deserve. And I am not talking about anything out of the ordinary. We have been to places where they cannot even keep a glass of water full because they know they're getting the tip regardless. I consider myself a great tipper and have no prob throwing down the money when it is earned. Also, IMO, when "tips" are auto added people may be getting less than they would have received otherwise. In a nutshell I dsiagree with auto tips anywhere, not just a cruise.

Sadly auto tips were added because many many many hardworking crew were getting stiffed. (especially on the shorter, college age party cruises)

They drank up their tips before the end of the cruise and left the crew with nothing.

We used comment card to campaign for automatic tips to protect the hard work that these folks do.

Also, it kept us from having to tote around $300.00 extra in cash and from having to spend our precious vacation time making sure we had the right demoninations to give to each individual.

I love auto tips...the only more perfect solution would just be to add it to the cruise price...so we can forget about it!!

Staff has always done their JOB for me, so I've never had to adjust... if I had horrible service, I would adjust, but I haven't had to do that... Yes, service would have to be bad for me to adjust (I would take into account how much of their job they did)... it's simply not a big deal :rolleyes: If YOU have bad service, do what you want... don't bust a gasket over it.

Also, it kept us from having to tote around $300.00 extra in cash and from having to spend our precious vacation time making sure we had the right demoninations to give to each individual.

I love auto tips...the only more perfect solution would just be to add it to the cruise price...so we can forget about it!!

On our last cruise we left home with tips already divided in envelopes for those receiving them. We didn't have to worry about making change or spending them because they were already set aside. I am not disagreeing w/ tips in anyway. But even by adding them, those that "drink" their tips can adjust them and screw over the staff. My point is that service is not always up to par when they are auto added, but that is why you can adjust them- or remove them if service is REALLY bad.

Im glad Im not your server in a restaurant. Yikes.... people are human to me and Im able to get over it if they forget something. Iv even had a bad cabin steward and tipped him. He was always slow and late, forgot to give us stuff, came into the room when I had the sign out "do not disturb". Guess I still feel that I should tip. I think he did the best he could do, just was not meant for that job.

If they did that you wouldn't be able to adjust. I agree with mykidsrock....we have been to many establishments where the tip is automatically included and the service is just not the same:(

IMO it's personal, it's my experience and if I feel it's not warranted I want to be able to have that option.

Also, IMO, when "tips" are auto added people may be getting less than they would have received otherwise. In a nutshell I dsiagree with auto tips anywhere, not just a cruise.

I disagree... people that are good tippers and reward for good service are going to give extra in cash... PLENTY of people do. The staff gets paid quicker with the auto-tip system, and they appreciate it, and they get stiffed less often with it in place (something like 90% of people that remove the tips and say they are going to tip in person, tip nothing at all according to a CC survey that was posted here last year) People can tip how they want, but to say that the auto-tip system creates sub-par service is not correct... anyone can get bad service from time to time, but they prefer the auto-tip system so that would not encourage bad service since they know you can adjust it. I think some people are high maintenance also and what one may consider bad service, another may consider getting the job done. We are all different... But I will continue to keep the auto-tip in place and if I ever get bad service (I highly doubt this will happen), I will adjust the tip down some... easy enough, and then the staff knows why they received what they did (as well as their superiors, in order to correct any issues)

Iv even had a bad cabin steward and tipped him. He was always slow and late, forgot to give us stuff, came into the room when I had the sign out "do not disturb". Guess I still feel that I should tip. I think he did the best he could do, just was not meant for that job.

WHY would you do that???

If a person cannot perform their job, then they should not have it. How long would you last in your position, if you could not perform even the basic functions of you job? Not long I'm sure, and would you be rewarded? I think not.

I'm sorry, if the service I expect is not provided, I will not reward that person.

progress.gif

I have a question for the OP

you mention good service and poor service. what about great service and excellent service. Do you tip more then? if you go by your scale then they deserve more dont you think...?

I have a question for the OP

you mention good service and poor service. what about great service and excellent service. Do you tip more then? if you go by your scale then they deserve more dont you think...?

I'm not the op but I think the auto tips are for great service.

Archived