Does Anyone Actually Read Thru the "If You Have Kids...." thread?

abba_dabba_doo

Wow, on one side, you're complaining about kid haters. One person without children, but surrounded by nieces and nephews tries to give you advice which in no way bashed you or your child, never said you shouldn't take him on the cruise, just asked YOU to think about if YOUR child could handle 10 hour tours and you post this? How do you expect someone else to answer that question for you? Unbelievable! Have a great cruise.

Yeeeow! :eek: I read it as a joke!

Looking to stir the pot much? :rolleyes:

Any chance you can get those who don't actually have kids from adding pointless postings on kids & cruising on the family cruising board too? ;)

Sorry <Knuckles Cracking> I've used up all my super power allotment for the year....! :cool:

Yeeeow! :eek: I read it as a joke!

Looking to stir the pot much? :rolleyes:

Oh, but she didn't mean it as a joke, she was dead serious. If I didn't know it was directly aimed at me, I might have read it as a joke too.

Here's her original response to me...nothing nasty said, and then she has to post her comment here. Some people are getting so paranoid about "Kid Haters" that they read something into innocent posts to help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruise Junky

I haven't taken a toddler on a Med. Cruise... basically because I don't have one I think you as a parent should gauge how he'd be able to handle a 10 hour tour. Especially to Egypt...you're going to be three hours each way on the bus to get to the pyramids. I think it would be a fabulous experience for him, but you've got to determine what this threshold level is for excursions.

I am not asking someone else to gauge my son's threshold for the excursions. I am looking for someone who has experience in taking a toddler on these or similar excursions to see what their experience was like--so I can gauge what my son can handle. And how other people's experience in taking a child on a more exotic cruise and/or luxury cruiseline.

If I'm wrong, I would like to apologize, but I took that comment pretty personally and all I was trying to do was help.

As you said, people can take posts personally where nothing negative was intended. I read what you've quoted from you and from her and while I see your point, I can see hers as well... although perhaps it wasn't worded well. What I saw was that she was already aware that she would have to guage her child's tolerance, but she had nothing to compare it to. As I said, I can see where it looks like your input is not welcome, but I think she's just trying to clarify what is involved so that she can use that to decide if her child is capable of enduring the tour.

As for the joke, I wouldn't take that personally either. The post that you reference was polite and gave good advice (even if it wasn't quite what she was looking for). I don't believe you would be the person someone would make this joke about. Believe me, I've seen the posters that such a comment might refer to, and they deserve it. You most definitely do not.

I feel like I've been saying this a LOT lately... but the biggest problem with conversing in text is that we can't see facial expressions or hear vocal inflections and it's so very easy to take things in the wrong way, out of context, or misunderstand them all together. My rule of thumb is that if something looks particularly negative to me, I try to see if I can reread it from a different and more positive (or at least neutral) perspective. If it still appears negative, I just ignore it. Anyone who feels the need to be truly negative here must be a pretty miserable person, so I just leave 'em to it!! :)

Archived