Is this economic climate keeping you off the high seas?

petesweet

Will the economy change your plans for cruising?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Will the economy change your plans for cruising?

• No change at all
    • Taking a wait-and-see attitude

Is something wrong with the economy??? Unemployment is at an all-time low! EVERYONE (it seems) is working!

Real estate has made an adjustment from the false high prices of a year ago, but that's about it!

Guess it depends on your personal circumstances. Lots of people I know are hurting. Thank God, we are not.

(Those who live near a port are really fortunate!! We are within driving distance of Charleston, South Carolina, but all we have out of there are the Norwegian Majesty, which I don't like, and a Carnival ship.)

Maybe they can convert the ships to nuclear power. It's been done for aircraft carriers and submarines. Why not for a cruiseship.

Jimmers

We did a long, long thread about nuke powered cruise ships a while back: here's the link, it was a good discussion. FWIW, most cruise ships use heavy fuel oil for fuel, it's the next step up from tar and asphalt, so there's a good bit of it in a barrel of oil.

We did a long, long thread about nuke powered cruise ships a while back: here's the link, it was a good discussion. FWIW, most cruise ships use heavy fuel oil for fuel, it's the next step up from tar and asphalt, so there's a good bit of it in a barrel of oil.

Thanks, that was indeed a very good and thorough discussion of the subject. I had considered starting a thread with the exact same question as the OP, glad I didn't now.

Perhaps there will be something to the new discovery out of Erie PA that you can "burn" saltwater with radio frequency waves. Wouldn't that be something if saltwater became a viable fuel. The oil barons in the middle east would be stuck with a product they couldn't sell. How sweet that would be.

Jimmers:)

If there is an economy in the world that gets a lot of mixed opinions, it would be the U.S. economy. The latest polls indicate 69% of Americans are concerned about the economy, they don't think they are participating in the benefits of a strong economy, and they could be correct in their thinking.

If you are in the top quintile of wealth and income, things could not be better. If you are median, you've had a tougher time. If you are below the median you've really had a tough time. Short term interest rates are low but, take a look at the long term rates, they are kind of high. The national debt is totally out of control, about $8.9 trillion and climbing, annual federal government deficits are appalling, the trade and current account deficits are unsustainable, consumer debt has never been higher and the savings rate has been zero or negative for over a year and a half (last time this happened was during the Depression). The amount of money owed to foreign concerns is worrisome and the U.S. buck has devalued by 40% over the last 5 years, which is great for debt in U.S. bucks and hopefully selling more U.S. made products but, bad for everything else.

The unemployment rate is extremely low, which is good, however no one looks at the "quality" of the jobs. Average earnings are up, median earnings are NOT and there is a world of difference here. The number of people sliding into poverty and/or losing their benefits has been on the increase for years. It's no wonder the average person on Main Street is a little concerned.

Personally, I have faith in the resillence of the U.S. economy but it's not a stretch to say I'm a wee bit concerned. :)

Archived