Is this economic climate keeping you off the high seas?

petesweet

Will the economy change your plans for cruising?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Will the economy change your plans for cruising?

• No change at all
    • Taking a wait-and-see attitude

I don't know how to do a poll, but I'm wondering what people think about traveling these days. My pessimist husband is so sure cruising is going to be the first thing to go. For me, it would be almost the last thing to go:p

Not for us, we have found some really good deals this year. Living in Florida does have it benefits no airfare. I have seen 4 night cruises for $189. Less then $50 dollars a day per person for food, lodging and entertainment.

I think if money ever got tight we would cut down the amount of time we cruised and would give up booking balcony cabins and go for an inside cabin and probaly go for shorter cruise lenghts.

It is a great question you asked, it really made me think. I just hope we never get into the situation.

Actually,its part of the reason I cruise..

I know there are good deals to be found everywhere,in every genre of travel...But for me,as long as there is a ship 20 min from my house...Its a large part of my travel plans...

For instance...This summer a quick 3 day trip to San Antonio (about 300 miles 1 way).... 2 day passes for 3 to Sea World.2 nights at hotel,meals,trip to Natural Bridges Cavern,toob float down Comal river, souvenirs and gas.....1100 dollars...

In comparison.January upcoming trip for 2 D1 aft on Voyager.7 nights all meals paid, 3 dollars for gas....Just under double what we paid for the SA trip

Cant beat that..!

I don't know how to do a poll, but I'm wondering what people think about traveling these days. My pessimist husband is so sure cruising is going to be the first thing to go. For me, it would be almost the last thing to go:p

I think a lot of people will have to think twice before travelling as time goes on. Nothing is getting cheaper about living. So usually leisure acitivities get cut back when you need to heat your home, buy food etc.

It would be the first thing I would cut out if need be. There are too many other things important to me than going on a cruise.

Real Estate and mortgage market is bad, but the rest of the economic climate is not. Consumerism is still up. And lets not forget that interest rates are still very low. I would never give up my vacations. Ever. I just have to work harder to do it. Thats all. (real estate agent here) And since I have no kids, I only have to work to support myself.

I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with the economy. Everyone that I know who wants a job has one, some, more than one job. I keep hearing that the economy is terrible, but can't figure out why. Sure, gas is more expensive in the States than what it's been in the past, but it really isn't bad at all, compared to many countries. I agree, no kids at home, and low debt, cruising will remain a big part of my plans.

I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with the economy. Everyone that I know who wants a job has one, some, more than one job. I keep hearing that the economy is terrible, but can't figure out why. Sure, gas is more expensive in the States than what it's been in the past, but it really isn't bad at all, compared to many countries. I agree, no kids at home, and low debt, cruising will remain a big part of my plans.

It really isn't that bad. The only really bad part is real estate, and there is really no reason for that, either. Interest rates are still low. I am doing just fine, and so is everyone else I know. I think the media is partly to blame, but otherwise, the ecomomy is good.

Maybe if there's another 1929 Depression I MIGHT consider giving up cruising. But it would have to be a REALLY BIG DEPRESSION.lol.

Jimmers:)

If there is another depression like that, I might just go live on a cruise ship. It would be safer. lol.

Im feeling sorry for the cruiselines. Oil was over $92 a barrel for a while today and closed $91ish. Record levels. Gotta hurt after a while. I expect RCI to keep finding corners to cut if they cant raise the price.

BTW nope I would not cut down on cruising because of the economy myself.

Im feeling sorry for the cruiselines. Oil was over $92 a barrel for a while today and closed $91ish. Record levels. Gotta hurt after a while. I expect RCI to keep finding corners to cut if they cant raise the price.

Maybe they can convert the ships to nuclear power. It's been done for aircraft carriers and submarines. Why not for a cruiseship.

Jimmers

I answered No But

We were doing a 7 day Mex Rivera cruise with pre and post stays from Florida.

We are now just doing a 4 day cruise from Florida and saving the Mex Rivera for a later date. So really I'm kind of in between. We are still cruising but cutting things back.

we live in florida so flights are not a issue.

It seems to me that the travel industry is the one industry that has not been affected by the countrys lack of financial confidence. Airline flights are FULL, cruise ships are full etc etc. The cruise industry and the travel industry in a whole will make it through just fine.

It really isn't that bad. The only really bad part is real estate, and there is really no reason for that, either. Interest rates are still low. I am doing just fine, and so is everyone else I know. I think the media is partly to blame, but otherwise, the ecomomy is good.

I agree 100% with you CUZ:) I just think the country is going through a confidence problem, the economy itself is quit strong.

Is something wrong with the economy??? Unemployment is at an all-time low! EVERYONE (it seems) is working!

Real estate has made an adjustment from the false high prices of a year ago, but that's about it!

I guess its just the part of the country you are from. Here unemployment is at a all time high. The economy is so bad that the local county and city's have put a hiring freeze into place. Its been the first time in my 30 years in buiness I have let people go. Basic pay in Florida is much lower than most of the country, In the past the cost of living was much lower also. That's not the case anymore so a lot of people here feel a minor slow down much worse than in the past.

I glad to here is so good in the rest of the country, That means that the money will start flowing this way again soon.

I agree with Writhe and Cb at sea,

I am looking to hire people, we are working 50 hours a week trying to catch up with our client's needs.

Housing is getting what it deserves, there was no valid reason for the cost of real estate to skyrocket, people tried to make a killing and are now in over their heads because of it. So they can't sell their house that they paid too much for in the first place.

Poor economy? Drive past the restaurants each night, they are filled. Some people over extended themselves with car loans, house payments, and credit cards. Those personal problems are not because of the nation's economy.

It all comes down to a person's specific economic condition and point of view. If you're out of a job it's a recession, if I'm out of a job it's a depression.

Archived