Fishing Off Ship

Fishing off the ship sounds like something my dad would "threaten" to do on a cruise ... ha ha ... definitely never a dull moment with him around. I bet your cruise will be a blast ... fishing or no fishing! :D

I've had it happen at the last M&M I attended. A couple of people signed up for the Meet & Mingle but just lurked on the message board area reading others posts. Guess they're just shy.

I guess it can happen,but seems odd to me..........I go to them to meet the people I have been talking to for all that time....

If someone is too shy to post, are they not shy to talk to people in person??:confused: :confused:

To each his own,I suppose..

I guess it can happen,but seems odd to me..........I go to them to meet the people I have been talking to for all that time....

If someone is too shy to post, are they not shy to talk to people in person??:confused: :confused:

To each his own,I suppose..

We actually had quite a few who came to our Brilliance M & M who either hadn't signed onto the Roll Call or only once and then never came back but they still showed up for the party. It was so much fun though for all the ones who had talked and gotten to know each other.

I'd be interested in knowing how he plans to get any fish aboard? Thinking deck 8 from say a Voyager class...it would be pretty hard off the aft I'd expect...

When working before grad school I worked offshore and on our floating rig, we had something like a 90' air gap between our deck and the water below. To bring fish back up when caught, the guys would hook a rope with what looked like a 4 prong super sized fishing hook...it was really four parts of rebar bent backwards and all four welded together like a giant hook. Once it was clipped on the "hook" was lowered to gaf the fish and it was pulled up hand over hand...and a nice 60lb tuna pulled up 90' takes some effort. If the fish was too big, we used the crane and a crew net lowered down, put the fish inside the crew net, hang on for the ride back up with the fish. All that from a rig that was anchored and maybe in currents moved slightly within a few hundred foot circle.

So, tell hubby that even if the fishing was allowed, and there was no way he would hook the underage young lady a couple decks below, logistically it won't work.

I wish I would be there to see this. Just when you've thought you've seen it all. What cruise is he going on? I want to go on that one. Picture this...Maybe he will hook a big whale and it will pull him over and his wife will find only his craped pants on the balcony when she gets back to the room:eek:

Fishing off the ship sounds like something my dad would "threaten" to do on a cruise ... ha ha ... definitely never a dull moment with him around. I bet your cruise will be a blast ... fishing or no fishing! :D

I would love to fish from a ship, i think it would be fun. that said I would not fish from the ship. It would be just my luck to catch a 100 lb marlin, i could see it now where would I put that fish...how about the pool!!!

I wish I would be there to see this. Just when you've thought you've seen it all. What cruise is he going on? I want to go on that one. Picture this...Maybe he will hook a big whale and it will pull him over and his wife will find only his craped pants on the balcony when she gets back to the room:eek:

Then there would be someone else sueing RCCI for not preventing him from doing something stupid on one of their ships.

If this isn't a troll, isn't there a regulation or rule about not throwing anything overboard from the ship. I would think that this would especially apply to sharp items like fish hooks and lures and heavy fishing weights or sinkers.

Not sure if passengers can fish, but last year in Cozumel our tender took us along side the Legend of the Seas and I saw these lines in the water and looked up... There were 3 crew members fishing with hand lines! It was one of those great Kodak moments. As for trolling, you are going much to fast. For saltwater gamefish you typically troll 7-10mph, the ship will be hitting 22mph.

Ok I am almost embarassed to ask this LOL but we are going on a cruise with some very good friends and he insists he is going to fish off the ship while we are moving...or even in port lol...we are up on 8th floor or something like that; he wants to fish off his balcony. He says there is nothing in the rules that say you can't do it, I said that is the stupidest thing I ever heard...but we are all having a good laugh from it. He insists he is going to do it...please tell me nobody has ever heard of anything so ridiculous???????

Of course he can.

But you can be good friends. If he is going to all the trouble of packing the fishing equipment, YOU should pack the barbecue, so that you can cook up what he catches.

:D :D :D :D :D

how-to-grill-food-39.jpg

Ok I am almost embarassed to ask this LOL but we are going on a cruise with some very good friends and he insists he is going to fish off the ship while we are moving...or even in port lol...we are up on 8th floor or something like that; he wants to fish off his balcony. He says there is nothing in the rules that say you can't do it, I said that is the stupidest thing I ever heard...but we are all having a good laugh from it. He insists he is going to do it...please tell me nobody has ever heard of anything so ridiculous???????

Years ago they used to allow fishing from the back of the ship...there was a deck set aside and people would bring their rods and cast into the water while the ship was moving. The fish...if caught would be returned to the water I believe, my DH never caught any (don't tell him I told you this). The ships also had skeet shooting...but that was back before we had all the ecology awareness and so many people cruised. I have a feeling that fishing, especially from one's balcony is both unsafe and not permitted. Your friend may be asked to leave at the next port...this may constitute disruptive behavior. Tell him not to chance it...it really isn't funny.

I have really enjoyed many of your comments, some have made me laugh so much, and that is what things are all about right? laughter, fun!!! Trust me, we will have a very good time on this cruise, these are great friends and we have a similar sense of humor. I truly am going to print this out for him to read. For those that question my/our authenticity, we were previously known on the boards as "ggmichael" and that is how you will find much of our posts, but then something about a new password, you know computers, etc., and MichaelandGeri was born recently. So for those that are truly interested, search away under ggmichael. We went to CC on our first ever cruise and just didn't find it real interesting so never went back, there were only like 10 people there. I think now they are quite a bit bigger. But anyway...just had to let you know we are real, we are not a joke, but we do have a sense of humor. I don't know if my friend is kidding or not, but I am sure after he reads all of these he won't be bringing fishing gear along, not to worry.:)

LOLOLOLOL I am laughing so hard because you think this is a joke. The thing is hubby and I keep saying, you are joking, he keeps arguing how serious he is and that he bought a hook, etc......sooo HE may be joking but posting this was really not a joke LOLOL. Hubby keeps saying he is going to cut the line.

Just how much line does he think he'll need? Let's see.....8 decks @ at least 15 feet per deck. Then there's the weight. I figure he'd need at least 150 lb test. Yep - it works. :p

LNF

I believed your post, because my DH is a fisherman and as I said before it used to be done on some ships...but not any more.

Have a wonderful trip.

I had to rejoin CC under a different name and start all over again too...about 5 years ago...

They changed the rules in the past year. Now you have to register in order to read messages in the Meet & Mingle areas.

You have to register for the boards, but you don't have to post one single comment to go to the M&M gathering. We had several on our previous Roll Call who came to our M&M - never met any of them on the boards, and one gal even walked away with all the prizes. Kind of a drag. :rolleyes:

OP, I wouldn't associate with him if he insists on fishing. Funny as it may sound to do, it sure won't be when guilt by association has you all standing on the dock at the next port. :p

I am in no way saying the OP is a troll........but this confuses me.:confused: :confused: .. they went to a CC party........and today is the first day they posted.....

Did you not post with the other CCers on a roll call first?? If not,why go to the M and M???

I have really enjoyed many of your comments, some have made me laugh so much, and that is what things are all about right? laughter, fun!!! Trust me, we will have a very good time on this cruise, these are great friends and we have a similar sense of humor. I truly am going to print this out for him to read. For those that question my/our authenticity, we were previously known on the boards as "ggmichael" and that is how you will find much of our posts, but then something about a new password, you know computers, etc., and MichaelandGeri was born recently. So for those that are truly interested, search away under ggmichael. We went to CC on our first ever cruise and just didn't find it real interesting so never went back, there were only like 10 people there. I think now they are quite a bit bigger. But anyway...just had to let you know we are real, we are not a joke, but we do have a sense of humor. I don't know if my friend is kidding or not, but I am sure after he reads all of these he won't be bringing fishing gear along, not to worry.:)

Had a feeling you had another name..........thanks for clarifying..:D

Archived