Jeans in port

I would wear the same type of clothes that you would wear in the United States if you were visiting a city and walking into various churches and museums. I would also consider the time of the year you are going. If it is hot, I would recommend something lighter.

Keith

We will be traveling on Voyager to the West Med and was curious at port if jeans are ok or would you recommend wearing a little nice pants going in and out of churches and museums?

Thanks

Jason

I'm a guy and I wore jeans in some of the western med (Spanish) ports because I was sick and didn't feel like dressing up. There were comments in streets and stores (in Spanish of course but I knew what they were saying; they were dismissed with the response by others that "he is an American". Europeans tend to dress a little more formally than we do in the states and and they don't seem to get the difference. I would dress up a little more even if it gives you a rash *G*

Dont know about jeans.... but, we were on a bus tour earlier this year in Europe and the Tour Director made a comment to us . . . 'I wish the Americans would not wear tracksuits and joggers everywhere and then feel they should get respect from Europeans, we just DON'T do that here!' I'm not making any comment other than repeating her words . . . .

We're just back from the Voyager Western Med cruise and my husband and I and our girls wore jeans in almost every port. No problem. I think the locals there have much better things to worry about than what the tourists are wearing!! By the way , it's a great cruise - Enjoy!!:) :)

I'm a guy and I wore jeans in some of the western med (Spanish) ports because I was sick and didn't feel like dressing up. There were comments in streets and stores (in Spanish of course but I knew what they were saying; they were dismissed with the response by others that "he is an American". Europeans tend to dress a little more formally than we do in the states and and they don't seem to get the difference. I would dress up a little more even if it gives you a rash *G*

Don't take this the wrong way, but Europeans don't dress any more formally than Americans. Try not to worry too much about things like this. Lets face it we are tourists, American, British, Australian, etc, we are going to look different from the locals. Okay it's nice to try to blend in a bit, and yes do ditch the bum-bag / fanny-pack as that says 'TOURIST', and sends out the meassage I have money 'RIGHT-HERE' come and rob me.

Yes waiters and shop assistants tend to be smartly dressed, but these people are working and thats why they have smart appearance. You have to remember that many of the people you see in European towns / cities are actually working and not on holiday / vacation, thats the only reason they are formally dressed. I dress formally when working, but I dress casually / smart casual the rest of time, unless at a formal event.

As a tourist, smart casual / casual dress is more fine. In summer I walk round all european towns and cities with 3/4 length trousers and a shirt or t-shirt, no one bats an eyelid.

and please remember Jeans are acceptable any where in Europe.

I would wear the same type of clothes that you would wear in the United States if you were visiting a city and walking into various churches and museums. I would also consider the time of the year you are going. If it is hot, I would recommend something lighter.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Excellent advice, I just feel too many people get hung up about the whole what to wear issue.

If the occassion is formal, do formal......... else why worry.

We wore jeans in Europe and fit in just fine; it was late fall so the jeans were perfect.

This summer we wore much lighter weight clothing but we still saw lots of people (Europeans) wearing jeans especially at the Spanish Steps in Rome. (Where people hang out).

Times have changed IMHO. Ten years ago I never would have boarded a plane wearing anything casual -- now I dress neat and tidy but casual.

Kathy:)

Just returned on the Voyager - 20 Oct cruise. Cruisers & locals were wearing jeans...saw them everywhere - even the tour guides wore jeans...the weather was cool & windy in Florence, cool and overcast in Rome - nice when the sun came out, - definitely dress in layers! Take a windbreaker/jacket. Palermo was sunny and very warm - though it rained in the early morning. Folks were using the ship pool in Palermo. Cold and breezy day @ Sea. It was raining early Sat. (27th) morning when we disembarked in Barcelona. Definitely have a jacket! BTW...tennis shoes were worn by ALL age groups!

For the ladies, a skirt that goes past the knees is probably the most practical. It is cool and comfortable in the hot weather. Respectful when entering churches. And it makes using some of the more "unusual" toilet facilities easier.

For the men, jeans would be fine, but you may want something lighter in the summer heat. Just remember your knees have to be covered when visiting churches.

Don't take this the wrong way, but Europeans don't dress any more formally than Americans. Try not to worry too much about things like this. Lets face it we are tourists, American, British, Australian, etc, we are going to look different from the locals. Okay it's nice to try to blend in a bit, and yes do ditch the bum-bag / fanny-pack as that says 'TOURIST', and sends out the meassage I have money 'RIGHT-HERE' come and rob me.

Yes waiters and shop assistants tend to be smartly dressed, but these people are working and thats why they have smart appearance. You have to remember that many of the people you see in European towns / cities are actually working and not on holiday / vacation, thats the only reason they are formally dressed. I dress formally when working, but I dress casually / smart casual the rest of time, unless at a formal event.

As a tourist, smart casual / casual dress is more fine. In summer I walk round all european towns and cities with 3/4 length trousers and a shirt or t-shirt, no one bats an eyelid.

and please remember Jeans are acceptable any where in Europe.

My experience is that jeans are acceptable in some sections (for example in Scotland in England) but not in more traditional ones (in parts of France, Austria, and Spain). Again, my experiences are based on my recent observations in sections of Spain and not all over Europe so of coures they can be wrong (elsewhere in Europe I have dressed more in consonate with other people I have seen on the street). Perhaps the feedback I got was related to the shops and stores that I was using (more upscale). I cannot be the judge regarding other parts of Barecelona and Valencia.

if jeans are ok or would you recommend wearing a little nice pants going in and out of churches and museums?

My view (I am European): They are somehow acceptable but I would recommend to wear a nicer outfit.

As others have pointed out' date=' really important is to dress respectful when entering churches: Kness and shoulders covered. Nothing offensive or 'loud'.

'I wish the Americans would not wear tracksuits and joggers everywhere and then feel they should get respect from Europeans, we just DON'T do that here!'

Yes!

these people are working and thats why they have smart appearance. You have to remember that many of the people you see in European towns / cities are actually working and not on holiday / vacation, thats the only reason they are formally dressed.

I have to disagree strongly. Many Europeans, especially in Southern Europe, tend to dress nice and smart when ever they are in cities and nice surroundings, certainly not only when they are working. Beach wear is for the beach. Outdoor gear for activities in the mountains. Etc. You show yourself in the public you dress appropriately.

Beach wear is for the beach. Outdoor gear for activities in the mountains. Etc. You show yourself in the public you dress appropriately.

We were talking about jeans NOT beach wear or outdoor gear???? :confused:

My experience is that jeans are acceptable in some sections (for example in Scotland in England) but not in more traditional ones (in parts of France, Austria, and Spain). Again, my experiences are based on my recent observations in sections of Spain and not all over Europe so of coures they can be wrong (elsewhere in Europe I have dressed more in consonate with other people I have seen on the street). Perhaps the feedback I got was related to the shops and stores that I was using (more upscale). I cannot be the judge regarding other parts of Barecelona and Valencia.

The point of the post and original question was...

Are jeans acceptable in Europe?

Not do more people wear jeans than those that don't.

The answer is YES jeans are acceptable in Europe. :rolleyes:

No-one will refuse your entry to a church or a museum for wearing jeans.

I have walked through Paris on numerous occassions and witnessed the wearing of Jeans. I took a cable car ride from Chamonix up into The Alps and saw people wearing jeans. I have sat in a cafe and had coffee in Corisca and saw people wearing jeans. I gone to a (classical) concert in Salzburg and saw people wearing jeans. I have been up and down the length and breadth of Spain and saw people wearing (guess what?) jeans.

and guess what too......... No-one was judging or tutting at these people for wearing what they wanted to. Why would anyone want to be so judgemental??? other than for the fact of sheer snobbery.

I am saying no more on the matter. ;)

The point of the post and original question was...

Are jeans acceptable in Europe?

Not do more people wear jeans than those that don't.

The answer is YES jeans are acceptable in Europe. :rolleyes:

No-one will refuse your entry to a church or a museum for wearing jeans.

I have walked through Paris on numerous occassions and witnessed the wearing of Jeans. I took a cable car ride from Chamonix up into The Alps and saw people wearing jeans. I have sat in a cafe and had coffee in Corisca and saw people wearing jeans. I gone to a (classical) concert in Salzburg and saw people wearing jeans. I have been up and down the length and breadth of Spain and saw people wearing (guess what?) jeans.

and guess what too......... No-one was judging or tutting at these people for wearing what they wanted to. Why would anyone want to be so judgemental??? other than for the fact of sheer snobbery.

I am saying no more on the matter. ;)

I want to thank you for your posts camNaud, as they are the most succinct and to the point AND make the most sense.

I was in Italy, Greece and Dubrovnik earlier this fall and yes, everyone wore jeans. Not a problem. And we wore sneakers in EVERY port. I'm not going to kill my knees and feet on all those cobbles wearing anything but sneakers. I was paying particular attention to what people were wearing on their feet (in ports) and I was surprised to see how some people really didn't care if they wore anything supportive. Plastic flip-flops. Really?

I beg to differ. We travel every year to Europe for almost a month and jeans are the norm in Europe at this time. And I am including upscale shops and stores in France, Italy, Spain and elsewhere. I think more locals are now wearing jeans than the tourists. However, I will say that they wear very stylish jeans with heels (women) and nice tops. You will not see baggy jeans with t-shirts and sneakers.

Archived