Help before I go crazy

eandme

I am spending WAY too much time trying to decide how to go about spending a day in Grand Cayman. There will be four of us there in January for the first time. Unfortunately I'm the only one who wants to go to Sting ray city, so that is out. We would like to do some snorkling, quiet beach time, a bit of shopping and a little bit of island touring. So here's the question: Which of the following do you think is the best course:

1) private tour with Grand Cayman excursions...$69 pp

-Anyone done this tour?

2) ship's (Carnival) tour... Grand Cayman snorkle tour 2.5 hr $39pp

shop on own, don't do any island tour

3) hire a cab at the pier and direct him where we'd like to go.

- how would that compare to private tour of $69pp

4) snorkle at beaches near tender dock ( Eden rock), shop on

own, maybe catch a cab for a short tour.

I know a lot of people rent their own car and then are in charge of their own destiny but would rather not do that.

HELP!! What to do...suggestions gratefully accepted.

We've only been to Grand Cayman once, but here's a wee tip:

Go to GoogleEarth and find Grand Cayman. And then take a close look. It's really quite small, and folks we met who took the tour said that it was a teensy-weensy tour. So I don't know if you'd be happy with a short tour of a small and relatively feature-less coral island.

The downtown is genteel, safe and lovely. On our next trip we will actually devote a couple hours to poking around in all the various nooks and crannies near the pier, as it is quite the opposite of places like Belize or Montego Bay. Yes, you will need to run a minor gauntlet of quasi-assertive cabbies but just smile and say "No thanks" and they'll just beam back at you. Nice people.

Stingray sandbar trips are truly an experience to behold. On our cruise there were several couples who were ambivalent at best about this excursion (including my DW) but afterwards all proclaimed the adventure the highlight of the entire cruise. You may want to reconsider your options, even if it means hooking up with some new friends along the way. You might also want to think about purchasing your own mask and snorkel prior to your trip or on board. The excursion versions range in quality from excellent to "ya gotta be kidding".

We stopped at a few points along the beach. The only way I can describe the sand is to call it silky. So soft when dry, and incredibly smooth when a wave rolls back into the sea...aaaahhhhh. We heard good things about Royal Palms (http://www.reefgrill.com) and DW along with Grandma will be firmly parked there this year while DD and I check out the stingrays.

Sorry I don't have more info for you. In short, since Grand Cayman depends on tourists and banks it is quite civilized. I don't think you can go wrong provided that you aren't adrenalin junkies in search of mountains to climb.

Happy Cruising,

Alan

Thanks, Alan for your thoughts. That does help. I was a little concerned that the $69 fee for a tour of a small island was a bit much but then I have heard that just about everything is pretty expensive in GC. Still have that on our maybe list, though. There doesn't seem to be too many private tour companies in GC and the ones that are there just about all go to Stingray City. I am wondering if you or anyone else knows how much a taxi would be to Rum Point with four people sharing. What are the taxis like there? ...similar to N. American cabs or more like mini buses that we have encountered on other islands. Are there taxis available at Rum Point for a return trip?

We having been to the Island 3 times and is one of our favorite spots.

We did the Stingray city from the ship. I really enjoyed it. We may do it

again next time.

But last time we ahead of time, made reservations at the Marriott Courtyard

for a 'day rate'. Its about 50 percent of normal rate.

You have full access to a room and the hotel.

The snorkeling off the water at the hotel was nice, not great but lots and

lots of fish.

Plus we rented jet skis, had access to fresh water pool. The best part

we were there in May and had one other family on the beach the entire day.

We loved the beach at the hotel, we will do the same again next time we

go.

Have FUN in the Caymans.

sting ray city is considered the top tour in the caribbean--something you will not forget..I would not miss thiss

the world has thousands of beautiful beaches--you can probaby do both--morning tour sting ray afternoon beach by cab

...I am wondering if you or anyone else knows how much a taxi would be to Rum Point with four people sharing. What are the taxis like there? ...similar to N. American cabs or more like mini buses that we have encountered on other islands. Are there taxis available at Rum Point for a return trip?

Taxis are typically minibuses in Cayman. Taxi fare to Rum Point, round trip, would be around US$150. Unless you arrange your return taxi in advance, there are not typically taxis waiting at Rum Point. It is MUCH cheaper to rent a car and drive yourself.

Wow! So I knew that GC was fairly expensive, but a $150 cab fare to a beach is not in my budget. Soooooooo...with the input on this board I have decided that since I am the family travel planner and I would like to go to Stingray City then that's what we'll do. LOL If the others want to stay in the boat and just observe then that's their choice. However I'm sure once we are there and they see how amazing it is they'll want to jump in. We can do a combined snorkle stop after that to make everyone happy. Thanks all for your suggestions.

Happy cruising!

Wendy

So I knew that GC was fairly expensive, but a $150 cab fare to a beach is not in my budget.

Keep in mind that Rum Point is about an hour away from the port, on the other side of the island...and that's the round trip price. I know I'd probably pay more than that at home for a two-hour cab ride...or at least something comparable. It's not that expensive when you take the distance into consideration.

There are lots of closer beaches, though...anything along Seven Mile Beach is only a few dollars a person by taxi, and all of the Cayman beaches are wonderful. Rum Point is great, but it's not the only beach there is...and, depending on which excursion you take, you could always ask the tour operator to drop you off at Seven Mile Beach on the way back from Stingray City...

• 2 weeks later...

We had the very best time on our 3rd visit. We did the Nativeways Reef, Rays , Rum Point tour. You get a taste of everything. Before meeting, walk across street to do quick shopping, we had almost an hour to kill. Boat trip great out to stingrays, the snorkling was awesome, then on to Rum Point, great lunch included. Had about an hour to exlpore small beach with bar (drinks expensive) and a little shop. back to ship, we still had some time to shop.

Visit GC in May. There was no way I was doing the Sting Ray tour. Dh talked me into it and I figured since we did the Royal dolphin Swim in Cozmel, I should do this for him. Never in my life had I ever experienced something so beautiful as this. Words could never describe it. We did the 2 1/2 hour tour. The ride to the boat took in many sights of the GC. After Sting Ray we went snorkeling. Amazing was all I could say. Out of all the cruises I have done this was the best side trip we ever did. When we got back to town we went to 7-mile and left there in plenty of time for showing and lunch at MV. You should have your group reconsider this trip. You will never experience anything even close to it. :)

I'm the only person in our party of 4, DW, DS-11, DD-8, who's definitely going to get into the water with the sting rays in January. The others may. That didn't keep me from booking the private charter discuused here,

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=657006

for the day with the first stop being sting ray city. Who knows the others may let peer pressure get the best of them and jump in, too. ;)

After that, it is up to us where we want to go. Beach bumming and more snorkeling is what I envision. I thought for a little over $100/pp plus tip it would be worth it to have the flexibility. It's our only big excursion for the trip.

I did the same as S.P.Q.R./Morunt user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_12297962", true);

Cool Cruiser

Rays, Reefs and Rum Point for $60 including lunch, if you friends are not into stingrays then they don't have to get out of the boat at that point.

We had a great time, 5 of us went, 5 of our friends went on a different tour to nearly the exact same places but they paid $85 and no lunch!!!!!

go with Nativeways they were very professional and fun too.

I am so grateful for this message board. :) Without it I probably would have NOT booked sting ray city, but with all the glowing recommendations, I decided to go ahead and book the Rays, reef and Rum pt. with Native way. I told my Dh and our friends that they could stay in the boat but I was going in! :eek: Now they think they will give it a go too! I knew that I couldn't pass up this amazing event that only happens in this particular port. Thanks everyone for your help in making this decision. Looking forward to our January cruise.

Majfrizz:

Native Way is a private tour company in Grand Cayman. Their website is www.nativewaywatersports.com Sharon got back to me right away with all the information I needed and I booked the tour with no problems. Although I had to send her my credit card number ahead of time we don't actually pay until after the tour. The credit card number is just in case of no shows. This tour ( Rays reef and rum pt.) includes lunch at Rum pt. and has been highly recommended on this discussion board. From what I understand they are one of the first tours to get to the sting rays before the masses from the cruise ship tours arrive. Hope you find this helpful.

I am so grateful for this message board. :) Without it I probably would have NOT booked sting ray city, but with all the glowing recommendations, I decided to go ahead and book the Rays, reef and Rum pt. with Native way. I told my Dh and our friends that they could stay in the boat but I was going in! :eek: Now they think they will give it a go too! I knew that I couldn't pass up this amazing event that only happens in this particular port. Thanks everyone for your help in making this decision. Looking forward to our January cruise.

Enjoy it, we had two that were scared to get in but the captain and his mate were really encouraging and they both got in a had a great time. We met up with our other 5 friends who were on a different tour which they paid $85 and then they were having to pay for lunch at Rum Point, which was inclusive of our $60. you know the food is good when its run my Hyatt hotels as well.

Have fun wish I was going with you.:D

Weve been several times to GC, I still think the MOST fun thing to do is the STING RAY TOUR booked from the ship, it says stingray sand bar ONLY! Be 1st out, its a blast no crowds! Its incredible. The stingrays r starving & u feed them by hand! They have been coming there for 30 years and they are TAME! They just want food, they arent the same kind as the BULL RAYS that killed steve. They arent really wild because they have been fed for so long and their babies are raised there. Its no big deal, its wonderful, its a shame no one wants to do that. Afterwards get dropped off at the beach, u can go to Royal Palms for nothing - there is a good place to eat, right at the beach, bathrooms, showers etc. Its a very nice place. The beach is beautiful and one of the best to visit anywhere. Plenty of time to head back up to town when your done and its close,the ships are right there by town so u can walk around and shopb 4 boarding! Or skip the stingray tour and just take the shuttle to the beach, and just relax and have a day,, I also hear Rum Point is good if u can get out there, but its far! Oh, did I mention when we went on the sting ray tour our guides wanted to know if we would like to go conch diving ? so we did! it was one of the best impromptu trips I have ever been on, they gave each of us on the boat our own conch shell after they cleaned the meat out, the season starts in NOV and they are happy to go diving for their food, and we were happy to have the shells, I got to dive for my own, it was incredible!:eek: The island isnt that big and really not that much to see & the town itself is hectic and crowded, just go to the beach and relax then go shopping. Oh , there is a new Margaritaville right before u get on the ship too, take your suit cuz there is a little pool & slide INSIDE, thats always fun with a few ritas b4 u get back on the ship!;) have fun, NO WORRIES!;)

sorry, guess I missed the post where u said u decided to go to rum point :confused: thats good choice! I heard such wonderful things about that, even if u just go to the beach at Royal Palms u cant go wrong! the beaches & blue waters are beautiful!:)

Archived