Looking at Western Caribbean

Kwst8ofmind

We found a cruise for a decent price but I notice that Honduras is a port of call.

Anyone been there? I just have never heard anything good on the news about Honduras.

I'm doing the 03-30-08 Legend cruise which is Western. Love the Legend layout, service is very good.

Belize is great this will be my second time there (also 3rd world country), and I always love Cozomel.

Honduras will be my first time, remember it is a 3rd world country. And I will enjoy it because it is still untouched.

St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Maarten is also a great trip to take.

Itty

We found a cruise for a decent price but I notice that Honduras is a port of call.

Anyone been there? I just have never heard anything good on the news about Honduras.

We were there in September and loved it. We did the Dolphin Encounter and Tabayana Beach. The Beach was beautiful. It ended up being our groups favorite port.

We went to Roatan Island last Friday on the Legend. We hired a private driver for the day through Victor Bodden's tour service. It was $40/person for the two of us. He took us to do whatever we wanted. We asked for a tour of the island. When we saw something interesting, we asked him to pull over so we could check it out and take pictures. We really enjoyed the tour because it was completely up to us what we did. We saw some beautiful places on the island we went shopping, we got a great deal of information about the island from our driver and we went to a beautiful beach, though it was too windy and the seas were too rough to go swimming or to snorkel. The port area left plenty to be desired, so do not be discouraged when you get off of the ship. I would give Roatan Island a chance...we were pleasantly surprised at how nice of a day we had there.

You won't be on the mainland of Honduras, you will be on Roatan Island, on of the Bay Islands.

Roatan is my absolute favorite port in the Western Carib. Hands down. It's beautiful, still relatively untouched by developers (but that is starting to change. Plus it's on the top end of the Belize Barrier Reef (2nd Longest in the world) so it's got great snorkelling and diving.

It's got four or so different zip lines. I loved the Jungle Zipline, done it twice.

Here's a picture (click for a larger view):

2408722190049731243EVUtld_th.jpg

I can't recommend Victor Bodden and his drivers enough. They'll take you wherever you want and are yours for the whole day. And will fill you in on everything about the island. Victor also has assembled a little zoo at his house, where you can meet an overly friendly anteater, hold a couple of spider monkeys, feed some island deer and a cranky howler monkey. If you can't get Victor himself, I highly recommend Ali (car #1) He's very friendly and knowledgeable.

Enjoy it.

Laura

Strange you have never heard anything good about it? What have your heard? I cant imagine someone not liking that port.

It was my favorite port. Right near the port is poor, but if you go up thru the middle part where its jungly, I loved seeing how people really lived and thought it was beautiful. West End made me want to come back and stay a week.

Grab a taxi and go to West End if you dont have something planned, go see the area. I used to live in Hawaii and the jungley plants reminded me of Hawaii and how green and pretty it was.

Roatan, Honduras was our favorite stop on our Valor cruise. We did the zip line, iguana farm, and the west end via a private tour.

Roatan is an island off the main Honduras coast, and is not the same sort of place as the mainland. I don't really think the mainland has a bad rap, but have not been there, though I have been all over neighboring Guatemala.

Archived