new policy?

We booked on a balcony guarantee and this is the first time a room was assigned BEFORE final payments were made. Usually after final payment and then chance for upgrade. This way no upgrade was received and got the last room on the floor. Has anyone else had this happen?

Yes........on our recent Radiance Hawai cruise. We booked an E3 guarantee and shortly after booking a cabin was assigned. I wasn't thrilled with the location so I kept checking for other cabins in the same category and eventually found a better location. A quick call and our cabin was changed.

If your booking is a non-category specific guarantee I'm not sure how that works but I would ask if you could upgrade to another balcony category if space is available.

Good luck. :)

We booked on a balcony guarantee and this is the first time a room was assigned BEFORE final payments were made. Usually after final payment and then chance for upgrade. This way no upgrade was received and got the last room on the floor. Has anyone else had this happen?

While they say they won't be assigned until after final payment, in reality a guarantee can be assigned any time between when you book and when you sail - it all depends on what the computer thinks will maximize revenue. I've had guarantees assign literally right after I book them, and I've had some where I didn't know my cabin number until I got my documents.

If you don't like the cabin and the guarantee is still available, you can request to be put back into the guarantee category (to roll the dice again) - I've done this before and gotten much improved cabins (although I've known people who got WORSE cabins too). Or, once your cabin is assigned, you can generally request another cabin in the same category.

We have booked guarantees twice. One time the cabin was assigned the night we booked, the other time it was assigned about 30 days before sailing (well after final payment was made). Both times we had a minor upgrade - but have always been told that the cabin can change up until the moment you check-in at the port.

It is a roll of the dice and upgrades are far and few between. As others have said keep checking because once final payment time does come a lot of movement seems to happen.

Archived