Virgin Gordo Baths okay for young kids??

boakin

Our NCL cruise stops in Tortola in Dec, and I'm just wondering if it would be okay to take my 4-yr and 8-yr-old to the Baths? Would it be too difficult for the little one to climb over boulders, wade through water, go through caves, etc? If we go, can the kids snorkel in shallow calm water? I've heard there is good shorkeling there. Thanks much for help!

Are your kids good swimmers? If you do the NCL trip that drops you offshore, you'll have to swim in to go through the Baths. Is there an age limit on the excursion? We saw one excursion (don't remember the cruiseline) that had an age restriction because they didn't have flotation vests in small sizes. But at 4, my DD could swim circles around most of the adults on many of our snorkeling excursions! As far as climbing- my DD would have loved the Baths at 4 and 8! Scrambling over rocks? My problem would be keeping up with her! I recommend decent-soled water shoes for all of you! (Carry them in if you swim in, since you'll need to wear fins to get through the currents.)

If your kids are not good swimmers, take the "land route" excursion (ferry to the island, then tram or cab to the top of the Baths). Walk through the Baths first (at the bottom of the path down, go left to enter the rocks area). At the other end, there's a small beach area that will be great for the kids. There might be a back way down to this beach, but make sure you also go through the rocks!

I was jsut coming here to ask the exact same question. I was also wondering if the Baths would be good for kids (5 & 7). We'd have to do the dry access since the kids are not great swimmers. Can't wait to see if more people post.

You can go a little way through the boulders without having to climb the somewhat dangerous spots that take you through them. Watch out for sea urchins in the shallow pools, a girl stepped on one when we were there and had to crawl (in pain) over the boulders back to the beach for help. The beach area is nice, but the boulders are amazing. They can be slippery, sandy and a bit dangerous for the elderly or young children. But like I said, you can walk a little way with no problem and get some nice photos of small pools and openings within the boulders.

I was jsut coming here to ask the exact same question. I was also wondering if the Baths would be good for kids (5 & 7). We'd have to do the dry access since the kids are not great swimmers. Can't wait to see if more people post.

Your kids will probably do better than you will. Lots of rocks to crawl over and around, plenty of clam water, great soft sand. They will love it.

Archived