very brief Navigator report

bebopper

Just completed the Athens to Monaco trip on Saturday and thought I'd offer a few thoughts. This is not intended to be an inclusive review, but perhaps just a few high (or low!) lights of the experience:

* We traveled in Suite 701 (called a "grand suite," I believe?). This was a large suite with a very large dining/living area. It was the most comfortable suite I've every been in on a ship (and I should have mentioned this is my first Regent experience, only having otherwise traveled on Holland America ships).

* The service on board was impeccable. Nearly every point of impact was ideal. Our butler, Renato, was a gentleman and took very, very good care of us. I know there are other postings with complaints about the butlers not being as agreeable as the poster might like, but we never failed to get anything we needed or asked for.

* The Compass Rose dinners were generally quite good. Presentations were creative and interesting, and portion sizes were reasonable (i.e., not too large). The ability to mix and match between the various menus was very helpful, especially toward the end of the week when we were frankly just tired of eating full meals.

* The Portfoino Grill in the mornings and at lunch was quite good. It was a "plus" to be able to angle toward low fat and low sugar when we wanted to. Service was generally excellent, although they tended to always take way too long to find the coffee pot when requested. However, the $12 shot of brandy always was there when asked!

* The wine steward in the CR was also excellent - as was Denise (pronounced Dennis) who was our server.

* Paolo in the CR and the Portofino in the mornings was a real charmer. I should add that when we asked reception about a galley tour, it was not going to happen for us until we mentioned Paolo directed us to them with the expectation we would be able to take one. 'nuff said.

* The whole Portofino dinner thing was rather lost on me. We reserved for Thursday online, but they lost our reservations. Renato was able to make one for us (they also lost all of our butler info that we completed online, too, by the way). I thought the food was marginal. The entertainment was OK, and I just can't stand the audience participation stuff, so I was really a fish out of water. It also was a long night - about 2.5 hours or more for a just-OK experience. Clearly, others had much better feelings about it than I did, so I'll say I was an outlier.

* A not so good issue: the weather was quite poor the first few nights. On the third night, there was a banging going on in the service stairwell at the bow of the boat that sounded like a cannon going off. Due to the location of the noise it was as if a gun was being shot off in our closet in the bedroom. I went into the stairwell, thinking there was a door slamming (we were going straight into some good sized swells). Couldn't find a thing. Called the reception area to ask about it, they said they'd call someone. Fifteen more minutes of the banging about every five seconds and my wife called. By now several folks had called. Turns out it was a wall "popping" when the pressure from the swells was exerting itself in some fashion. Couldn't be fixed until dry dock, we were told. So, we spent that night in an empty mid-ship cabin on the eighth floor. I should point out that all manner of senior ship personnel, including the Captain, came to our door before we moved to apologize and assure us there were no structural issues. The noise continued the next morning when we returned to our room, but only occasionally and only until midday when the seas calmed.

* I liberally used the laundry and pressing service as I had underpacked (a guy thing). They were fast and efficient, if a bit expensive.

* We had a cancellation of our Santorini stop due to rough seas and were redirected to Crete. Not much to see in a short stop in downtown Crete, but I suppose it was better than riding around on rough seas! Other stops, especially Ephesus, were terrific.

Reminds me of my crossing on the Diamond. In the middle of the night there would be this thumping sound that would be loud enough to wake me up. It was very disconcerting, especially traveling alone. Finally the sound happened when someone was around and discovered, it was the waves hitting the inside of the hull between the pontoons.

Bebopper,

Thank you for your review. We will be sailing the Navigator for the first time in December for short cruise.

Does anyone know when she's going into dry dock?

Maineac,

The Navigator will be in dry dock the week before we sail on December 14th. I believe our 3-day is the "shakedown" cruise! :-)

Bebopper,

Thank you for your review. We will be sailing the Navigator for the first time in December for short cruise.

Maineac,

The Navigator will be in dry dock the week before we sail on December 14th. I believe our 3-day is the "shakedown" cruise! :-)

I think you'll have a wonderful time! You are welcome to send me an email if you have any specific questions (or, I assume one can send a PM on this board, although I have never done so). Or, happy to answer any via this board. I do think you'll enjoy this ship very much.

No on this board they don't allow emails or private messages. There is no way to contact another member short of posting your email address for all the internet to see.

I believe if you put your email address in your profile people can find it there.

We are looking forward to the Navigator in just a couple weeks. Since we usually stay in an inside cabin, a suite will be quite a treat for us.:D

Cusyl, you're going to love the walk-in closet and the big bathroom, and your WHOLE suite! You're going to love the personal touch, never signing a "chit", the whole nine yards. Enjoy every last little minute of this trip. Let us know your thoughts, either by seamail, or when you get home.

Bon Voyage!!!

Charsie

Thank you! This is going to be a special celebration for us, as DH is just completing his cancer treatments and I will be celebrating a big milestone birthday while we are gone and also no cooking for Thanksgiving dinner this year. Woohoo! :D We are really looking forward to being "spoiled". LOL

Archived