Frommers Alaskan Cruises and Ports of Call

kellywhitehills

actually, 2008 edition will come out in the second half of November. i believe it is 11/18. Not sure how much difference there is between 2007 and 2008 though

From what I can find on all websites about the book, Frommer's Alaska Cruises and Ports of Call 2008 comes out in January 2008. You may be thinking of Frommer's Alaska 2008 (a different book), which is shown as coming out in November 2007.

EDIT: It looks like I posted while you were editing your original post, darn crossed-postings! :) Anyway, it looks like you realized you were talking about the other book, so we're talking the same thing here now. So confusing that the two books have such similar names!

From what I can find on all websites about the book, Frommer's Alaska Cruises and Ports of Call 2008 comes out in January 2008. You may be thinking of Frommer's Alaska 2008 (a different book), which is shown as coming out in November 2007.

EDIT: It looks like I posted while you were editing your original post, darn crossed-postings! :) Anyway, it looks like you realized you were talking about the other book, so we're talking the same thing here now. So confusing that the two books have such similar names!

Yes, I was thinking about a different book. :) It is confusing and both are great books.

Has anyone compared the two Alaska Frommers books to form an opinion as to which is better for those cruising Alaska? We cruised Alaska a few years ago using the Frommers Alaska book as a reference and thought it was wonderful. Now we're going back next year with family members, so I thought a Frommers Alaska book would be nice in the Christmas bags for family members who are going on the trip. Which one would you buy?

Frommers Alaska Cruises and Ports of Call 2008(http://www.amazon.com/Frommers-Alaska-Cruises-Ports-Call/dp/0470169079/ref=sr_1_6/105-0387444-9526819?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193927620&sr=8-6)

or

Frommers Alaska 2008 (http://www.amazon.com/Frommers-Alaska-2008-Complete/dp/0470152885/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/105-0387444-9526819?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193927806&sr=8-2)

Thanks,

Donna

Has anyone compared the two Alaska Frommers books to form an opinion as to which is better for those cruising Alaska? We cruised Alaska a few years ago using the Frommers Alaska book as a reference and thought it was wonderful. Now we're going back next year with family members, so I thought a Frommers Alaska book would be nice in the Christmas bags for family members who are going on the trip. Which one would you buy?

Frommers Alaska Cruises and Ports of Call 2008(http://www.amazon.com/Frommers-Alaska-Cruises-Ports-Call/dp/0470169079/ref=sr_1_6/105-0387444-9526819?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193927620&sr=8-6)

or

Frommers Alaska 2008 (http://www.amazon.com/Frommers-Alaska-2008-Complete/dp/0470152885/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/105-0387444-9526819?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193927806&sr=8-2)

If choosing one for Christmas gifts, keep in mind that Frommer's Alaska Cruises and Ports of Call 2008 won't be released until January 2008 ... although the 2007 edition is still available. The Frommer's Alaska 2008 will be released in November of '07 (in 2-3 weeks). So if you want the 2008 versions, the decision may have already been made for you, as only one of the two you listed will be available in time for Christmas.

If choosing one for Christmas gifts, keep in mind that Frommer's Alaska Cruises and Ports of Call 2008 won't be released until January 2008 ... although the 2007 edition is still available. The Frommer's Alaska 2008 will be released in November of '07 (in 2-3 weeks). So if you want the 2008 versions, the decision may have already been made for you, as only one of the two you listed will be available in time for Christmas.
Oh yes, I hadn't noticed the difference in publication dates, so thanks for calling that to my attention. I guess I'd still be interested to hear opinions as to which is better for cruisers though because I would consider giving to some after Christmas if one is significantly better than the other for cruise passengers.

Donna

I think you get more bang for the buck with the regular Frommer's Alaska. The cruise books, in my opinion, take up a lot of pages talking about the different cruiselines and how to choose an Alaskan cruise. I didn't feel that I was lacking info about the port towns by not having the Frommer's cruise book. If you go to Amazon, click on "Search Inside" to see the table of contents for the 2007 editions of both books. **I just looked at the table of contents for the 2007 edition of the ports of call book, and the first 150 pages are about Alaska cruises in general. The ports are covered in pages 151-234. If you need info about Seattle and Vancouver, you won't find it in the regular Frommer's Alaska book. That book also doesn't cover Icy Strait Point (Hoonah) - at least not in the 2007 edition.

As an FYI - I just ordered 3 copies of Joe Upton's book, The Alaska Cruise Handbook (to be released Nov. 15) for myself and my 2 cruise companions. I have the 2005 Princess cruise edition, and think it's a great resource for following the route as you are cruising.

While perusing the Alaska books at Amazon, I noticed that Pauline Frommer's travel series is publishing an Alaska guidebook in January 2008. The premise of her series is "spend less - see more." I have her New York City and Italy guidebooks, and am quite impressed, so I just might have to buy her Alaska book! http://www.amazon.com/Pauline-Frommers-Alaska-Frommer-Guides/dp/0470089571/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5/104-1289665-0895942?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193933201&sr=8-5

While perusing the Alaska books at Amazon, I noticed that Pauline Frommer's travel series is publishing an Alaska guidebook in January 2008. The premise of her series is "spend less - see more." I have her New York City and Italy guidebooks, and am quite impressed, so I just might have to buy her Alaska book! http://www.amazon.com/Pauline-Frommers-Alaska-Frommer-Guides/dp/0470089571/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5/104-1289665-0895942?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193933201&sr=8-5

Nancy, is this book same as th Frommer's Alaska book? I am little confused

As an FYI - I just ordered 3 copies of Joe Upton's book, The Alaska Cruise Handbook (to be released Nov. 15) for myself and my 2 cruise companions. I have the 2005 Princess cruise edition, and think it's a great resource for following the route as you are cruising.

Is this the same as Princess cruise companion? I am now totally lost by those different or similar book titles..:o

Nancy, is this book same as th Frommer's Alaska book? I am little confused

Not at all. Pauline Frommer (Arthur's daughter) has a new series of travel guides - more budget-oriented than the regular Frommer's travel books. Pauline Frommer's Alaska is by David Thompson, and the first edition will be released in January 2008.

I LOVE Frommer's Alaska by Charles Wohlforth, and have the 2005 and 2007 editions. The 2008 edition will be released later this month.

Is this the same as Princess cruise companion? I am now totally lost by those different or similar book titles..:o

It sounds like the same book, without the added Princess info. There are ~ 30 fewer pages in the new edition than in the Princess edition I have now, and that's about what it would be when you remove the author's comments about his September 1997 cruise on the Dawn Princess plus other info. I'll let you all know what I think of it when it arrives later in the month.

I think you get more bang for the buck with the regular Frommer's Alaska. The cruise books, in my opinion, take up a lot of pages talking about the different cruiselines and how to choose an Alaskan cruise. I didn't feel that I was lacking info about the port towns by not having the Frommer's cruise book. If you go to Amazon, click on "Search Inside" to see the table of contents for the 2007 editions of both books. **I just looked at the table of contents for the 2007 edition of the ports of call book, and the first 150 pages are about Alaska cruises in general. The ports are covered in pages 151-234. If you need info about Seattle and Vancouver, you won't find it in the regular Frommer's Alaska book. That book also doesn't cover Icy Strait Point (Hoonah) - at least not in the 2007 edition.

Yes, considering that information (we will already have chosen our cruise line by the time I purchase the book), I think the Frommers Alaska 2008 is the right book for us. Thanks for leaving your thoughts, and I hope you will post your opinion on the Alaska Cruise Handbook and Pauline Frommer books that you referenced.

Happy travels,

Donna

Archived