Document Dancing Time!

Sierrachik

Rev,

We are on the Zuiderdam on Oct. 9th sailing. Very excited, not sure how I'm going to wait four more weeks, will just have to muddle through :)

Spot,

My father in law gave my husband and I (and my husband's siblings) a substantial amount of money after he sold his house, which is what allowed the cruise in the first place and for us to pay off significant debt, and after speaking with my accountant today I have found out we do not have to pay income taxes on it, it was a gift. I never really understood the gift tax laws, etc. My accountant states that comes into play on the part of the person giving the gift rather than the recipient of the gift. I told my husband we should book another cruise! Actually, the amount I had expected to pay in taxes would probably cover another two cruises if we didn't take a suite :) Needless to say, I'm over the moon ;)

Congratulations, Sierrachik and Deb! Dance a bit and then back to more counting down till the big day.

About the gift, I did the same for my four kids when I sold my house last year. No reason to hold onto the money when they could use it to make some real difference in their lives, and again there is no penalty to them in accepting such a gift. I know what a big smile it must have put on your faces to get your big bonus.

Slinkie

Archived