Why RCCL so much higher priced?

Solida123

quote=coiranMaybe they have "FREE ICE CREAM" 24/7!! - and - Trays in the buffet!!!

Ron

Oh come on - ice shows, surfing, wow factor - that I can buy into. But ice cream and trays - that's worth hundreds more? :eek: Whatever floats your boat. :D ( And I do cruise RCCL. It's just of the three lines I cruise on most frequently, RCCL is my least favorite.)

We've only sailed rccl as well, only because we have never had a reason to switch. We have noticed prices creeping up:eek: on rccl so we may have to try another line, plus living on the west coast we are very limited with rccl. Not something i want to do but may have to.

Rccl ships are very dynamic:D , since i've never cruise any other line its hard to compare but sitting in port next to other ships it seems like no comparison. We are a younger family so all the activities of rccl fit us well, just seems like other lines just wont live up the the expectaions we are used to.

Im sure we will be sailing princess in the future and im sure it will be wonderful as is rccl.:)

Like another poster said Rccl cant charge those rates if people arent paying them, all the lines are going to charge as much as they possibly can for every sailing they sail. Rccl has a great product and thats why they can charge those rates.:o

I really dont know the true answer to your question, all i can say is that they can charge that much. There ships sail full every week just like other lines. One thing i will say is that no other cruise line has anything close to a Voyager or Freedom class ship. They are simply in a league of there own.

Happy Cruising!

All things being equal, we prefer princess because of anytime dining and 24 hour buffet...we like to eat at different times each day, and hate feeling rushed in the evenings...also, in general, we prefer the itineraries on princess.

We have sailed RC as well, and found it to be otherwise similar to princess...we would have no problems sailing this line again if the itinerary was right or if there was a significant price advantage. We do enjoy the climbing walls and other activities, but these are NOT deal breakers for us!

Overall I think the on-board experiences are equal, but there are differences. From prior experience the rates have been comparable for apple to apple cruises (i.e. same intenary, like easter run during the same time of the year) , but haven't investigated an apple to apple trip recently.

The one thing that could be increasing demand, is all of the publicity RCCL that has received for the Freedom Class ships. While they are a derivative of the Voyager class ships much like the Crown is a derivative of the Grand class ships, there is much greater differences between Freedom/Voyager and Crown/Grand. So the Freedom has received much more publicity. For example it has appeared on Today and the Travel Channel. I can't recall the last time I saw any Grand/Crown class ship in a free publicity.

After just getting back from the CB (and sailing on RCI as well), I would also mention that I think the Princess charges slightly more for drinks, and small things (room service pizza, non-brand ice cream). And RCI offers full service room service. Princess seemed to be cheaper for Bingo. Haven't been to either spa, so can't compare that. So Princess' fare might be cheaper, but your on-board account could be slightly more (probably wouldn't make more than a $100-200 difference if you really partied it up)

Archived