Please Advise: Family-Friendly Activities

3Hannas

(Folks who read multiple forums are going to STRANGLE me--this post is repeated for each island we'll be visiting--sorry!!!) :)

My husband and I will be traveling on the Dawn in December with our 1 year old. We are planning to avoid the shore excursions organized by the cruise line, both because of their cost and inflexibility. So, we are hoping to plan some fun, family-friendly shore activities.

We were thinking about taking a cab to the Butterfly Farm. Is this worth the trip? Is this going to be fun for a toddler? Is there another trip you'd recommend?

As far as beach time is concerned, where would you recommend? We're not interested in snorkeling (at least this cruise) but rather nice beachfront and relatively calm waters--for the benefit of our son. I am interested in Orient beach, but mostly because I'd like to "try" sunbathing topless--but this isn't a dealmaker, in case there is a better beach for kids.

Ideally, we'd like to take the shortest cab rides possible--as I don't think we'll have a car-seat.

Please advise?

Carrie

PS: Any families with little guys who will be on the Dawn sailing out of NY on December 9, let me know if you are interested in "sharing" a shore adventure!

Perfect!

Go to the Butterfly Farm, and then visit Galion Beach, just down the road. You could probably walk it in less than 10 minutes. (It's adjacent to Orient.)

Galion is perfect for kids/toddlers. Long, shallow beach into the water. Very calm water, as it is sheltered by reefs. A favorite for locals on the weekends. Topless would be acceptable. Perhaps less so on a weekend.

If you have extra time, you could also visit the St. Maarten Zoo on the way back to the ship.

Archived