hotel price - unusaul finding

meow!

As per common wisdom, it is usually cheaper to book your own hotel than take the cruise line's deal. I have an unusal finding. I know that it is a year too early, but searching the web for hotels in Athens, I find the following for Autumn, 2008:

Ocenia's price / internet price

Grand Bretange 1 night US$399 / 345 euros

2 nights $649 / 690 euros

3 nights $899 / 1035 euros

Intercontinental 1 night US$299 / 195 euros

2 nights $499 / 390 euros

3 nights $699 / 585 euros

With the euro approaching US$1.5, you can draw your own conclusions.

Question: How far ahead can you book your hotel with Oceania? Do you have to pay a deposit, and if you do, is it cancellable/refundable? Thanks.

Meow,

Are you sure that the when looking at the website of the hotel, the price quoted is per person? Usually the Hotel quotes per room therefore one has to double Oceania's price, as they quote per person, to arrive at a comparable price to what has been quoted on the Hotel's website.

Jennie

You are probably right -- if the Oceania price is per person, then they are much more expensive and not worth considering. I never booked hotel through any cruise line and since under normal circumstances hotels quote their own rates per room rather than per person, it slipped my attention. Sorry for the misunderstanding (must be senility), and presumably all cruise lines quote per person hotel room prices?!

I checked out the Intercontintal and indeed Oceania is much more expensive than booking on own's own. On the Intercontinetal website, the price was quoted as 150 Euro per room per night. The totals $450 (at 1.5 Euro to the dollar) for two people for two nights.

The cost through Oceania is $499 per person for two nights, for a total cost of $998, more than double the cost above.

If one's primary concern is to save money on the hotel, there are plenty of adequate places to stay other than the ones on the Oceania website.

Hi:

I have discussed Oceania Pre& post cruise accomodations with my TA and she says to always bear in mind that the price quoted INCLUDES Transfers from ship to hotel and hotel to airport or visa versa. I agree Oceania's packages are costly. I have to wait until my TA comes up with offerings in January for our Oct 20, 2008 cruise. If we take her offerings she says "

I will waive the (Air Deviation)$75.00 for the air if we do the packages. It is not Oceania that waives this so please do not get mixed up."

Why is everything so complecated!

We were just in Athens for three nights before our Oct. 17 Insignia cruise.

I am at the point that whenever we are in a city for two nights or more, we book into an apartment. We always end up saving money - not to mention we have much more space, a kitchen, and are always in a more "authentic" area of any city.

In Athens we had a wonderful new penthouse condo - two bedrooms and one-and-a half baths. Pleasant neighborhood, super grocery store just around the corner (rivaled any we have the USA). The Metro was within easy walking distance, and we had a great stay for 75 Euros per night.

We easily mastered the Metro, saw so many of the ruins and other Athens attractions, and even took the Metro to the port to embark on the cruise.

You do not have to purchase an Oceania package to get a transfer to the hotel, which is still cheaper than there rates.

Well, yes and no. If you purchase a deviation from Oceania, you will not normally be able to purchase a transfer from Oceania, unless it is part of one of their pre/post packages. I'm not sure why this is so, except that possibly they arrange for the transfers on flights arriving at the "normal" times, and cannot make the same arrangements for the wide variety of possible deviations.

For example, we have an arrival deviation for our upcoming arrival in Barcelona, and have to arrange our own transfer to the hotel (we booked our own hotel). We do not have a deviation for the departure from Rio de Janiero to home, so we DO have an Oceania-arranged transfer on departure.

We are 1st time Oceania cruisers & not experienced European travelers. We booked an Oceania cruise departing from Barcelona in Oct, 2008. It seems (from reading this board) that booking a hotel yourself is the best way to go. How far out do you have to book the hotels? Any other suggestions in general will be gratefully received.

It is a fact that one can often do better by making their own reservations directly with a hotel rather than using the cruise line. That is not to say that the cruise line is not offering good accommodations, and a number of people do take advantage of their offers - and get extras, such as city tours, transportation to and from the airports and docks and personal assistance at the hotel for any extras.

However, by booking direct or through an Internet booking service, one can get almost the same type of accommodations at a much better price. However, do factor in the "extras" when comparing.

Usually hotels will accept reservations up to a year prior to your arrival day - you should go to their respective websites for that information.

Have a great time!

We always book directly with the hotel and I usually do it as soon as we can which as Rickey mentioned can be up to 12 months beforehand. I never pay up front, but always take the flexible rates so that if we decide to cancel we do not suffer a penalty. We just leave our C.C. details with the hotel.

I check back every few months to the hotel site and look at the current rates. They often change over 12 months and sometimes they are reduced. When this happens, I immediately cancel my old booking and rebook. The odds over the years has been that the rates usually go up and having booked early we reap the benefits of a cheaper rate.

Jennie

have stayed in the best western park hotel in piraeus several times prior to day of departure.. it is reasonable from airport via taxi and very convenient for boarding ship the following day. its a short subway ride to the downtown sites, and much more pleasant than dirty downtown athens and costs about 70 eurosfor a double with breakfast

I just returned from the Med and many people on our ship using these boards stayed at the Continental Palacete in Barcelona pre-cruise and seemed to love the price, location, and free food all day long apparently. We had to use the hotel sold by the ship (Majestic) and paid about $500 for one night in the smallest room in an otherwise nice hotel--probably could have booked the same room for about $200 ourselves.

We spent 4 days post-cruise on our own driving through France, and although I did spend quite a bit of time researching hotels, was THRILLED with the places I found on my own--a 15th century hotel built over Roman ruins that you could see down into in Arles, an actual chateau begun in the 12th century that was incredible in the Loire Valley, and a great boutique hotel created from a 17th century mansion in Paris. IMHO it is totally worth the time doing the research in whatever ports you are leaving from or disembarking in. . .you never know what wonderful treasure you will find.

Cathy

Hi Cathy, Which hotel did you stay in Rome? Were they reasonable? I am going to start looking for accommodations for next year and have been looking at "VRBO-Vacation rentals by owner" I have used them in the U.S. but have not heard of anyone using them in Europe. I found one near the Spanish steps for under 100 euros. Is this a good location?

If you collect points from a hotel credit card, you can stay using your points and it doesn't cost any money. We're staying free for 9 pre- & post cruise nights on our Dec. cruise. We found that hotel prices are higher all over the world than in here, so we chose to collect hotel points instead of airline points (Our hotel card gives both hotel and airline points for purchases.). We can usually get a deal on air tickets and we're always going from the U.S. so don't have to worry about the exchange rate. With European hotels, the exchange rates matter if you use money, but if you use points, it doesn't. If you want more info. e-mail me at <soccerjudy@earthlink.net>.

Have your TA get you transfers. Mine got us transfers for much less than O.'s price.

Well, yes and no. If you purchase a deviation from Oceania, you will not normally be able to purchase a transfer from Oceania, unless it is part of one of their pre/post packages. I'm not sure why this is so, except that possibly they arrange for the transfers on flights arriving at the "normal" times, and cannot make the same arrangements for the wide variety of possible deviations.

For example, we have an arrival deviation for our upcoming arrival in Barcelona, and have to arrange our own transfer to the hotel (we booked our own hotel). We do not have a deviation for the departure from Rio de Janiero to home, so we DO have an Oceania-arranged transfer on departure.

Hi Soccerjudy,

We just returned from Rome where we stayed one night before we sailed at the five-star Intercontinental Hotel near the Spanish Steps for FREE. We also save points for hotels. We saved over $500 there and $1,500 last year at the Marriott Marquis in NYC. We only use our points for pricey hotels. By the way, breakfast is not included in free rates, so we found inexpensive places to eat. I really believe that $25.00 to $35.00 PER person for breakfast is a bit much!!!!!

Sheila

I did that in August this year and used the 5th night free for a junior suite which they upgraded at check in to a full suite. Wonderful hotel in an outstanding location. Thanks Starwood!

Did you think about using points? Just booked Grande Bretagne for next summer using Starwoods points. If you don't have any, and have Amex Membership Rewards, you can transfer them.

Archived