My TA Stinks! I need advice..

aainsjen

I'm so mad right now. I'll try to turn a long story into a short one.

Did you know that when your TA stinks and you try to call Carnival directly they can’t help you, yah I found that out this morning and that even makes me madder.

She doesn’t call back, she can’t give you straight answers, and I hired a travel agent so I wouldn’t get stressed so I could worry about other things for the wedding.

We booked a year ago for a January wedding. Inside & Balcony rooms, 16 of them. She finally gave us confirmation where everyone was staying. All my insides are on deck 1 (awful) my balconies deck 6. The worst inside cabins and really the worst balcony cabins. She asked me what I thought; I told her they were terrible I wanted everyone mid ship and on the same floor. Well guess what, upgrades that we were promised cant happen because the ship is booked, and basically she can’t help. I’m so bummed. A lot of the people going is for the first time and I myself wouldn’t stay on deck one, I’m almost embarrassed. I think I’m just most mad that were not all together and I know there are still inside cabins available on deck 6. ( I checked online)

SO do I just let this role off my chest, I guess I’m going to have to unless there’s someone out there that has any ideas for me.

Thanks for letting me vent. I’m sure other things are going to go wrong

What type of cabins did you pay for? You mention inside and balcony's but what category? This information would be helpful.

Its funny you ask that, I dont even know. When we booked the prices were 420 for the insides (p.p) the balconies were right around 650. But we made it very clear that we didnt want crap rooms and we wanted mid ship. We thought the prices we paid were for better cabins, again thats the impression we were under.

Without knowing all the details of your original conversationit is difficult to give an opinion. I am a TA that does many groups. Sometimes my clients are just interested in price and sometimes they want specific categories etc. Did you pay a 25.00 deposit or the full 250.00 when you booked?

If you and/or your TA booked guarantee cabins (which it sounds like you did if you were given 'assignments' and the price you paid), where you are placed is never a given. Guarantee cabins are a 'guarantee' you will be at the lowest level of the cabin typed booked, which is Riviera for the insides and Upper for the balconies. If you get lucky you can get upgrades to higher decks but that is never a promised thing. Did your TA promise those types of cabins you requested?

Now if you PAID for those cabins that were midship and higher and didn't get them that's a different story. Do you have a confirmation or invoice? That should state your cabin type (guarantee or not).

If you got an 8A balcony, which are usually on deck 6/Upper Deck, those are pretty much smack mid ship anyhow. We're booked in that type of cabin because it is midship.

I know it's frustrating, but when you book through a travel agent the reservation is managed through the agent so the cruise lines will not discuss the reservation.

Were you and your guests prepared to pay, possibly a significant amount, more for better cabins? If the agent was under the assumption that you were very concerned about price that's probably why she booked you where she did. Honestly, she would have made more money if she booked you in more expensive cabins so there's really not a incentive for her to book you in inexpensive cabins. Usually the less expensive cabins are the ones that are least desirable. When we booked our agent explained the categories in our group so that those traveling could decide what is most important to them---cabin type, location or price. We looked up the locations of all of the categories (can be done in the brochures or online) and encouraged our guests to do the same before booking.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. I booked my group reservation through Carnival directly (though they are not handling my wedding). When we reserved our rooms we were told exactly what we were getting and they have been great to work with.

I wouldn't go around complaining to your guests about how much the rooms suck. First timers may not even notice it. Honestly, who ever spends much time in their rooms anyway??? Focus on the rest of the experience. I would try to be calm when talking to the TA. If you are rude then it's no surprise why she might not call you back. I would just say that you wish the accomodations were more specific because this isn't what you had hoped for. She's more likely to go to bat for you and try to make a change if you are nice to deal with. From the little information you gave us it's hard to tell if she is at fault or if it was just poor communication of what your expectations were.

I wouldn't go around complaining to your guests about how much the rooms suck. First timers may not even notice it. Honestly, who ever spends much time in their rooms anyway??? Focus on the rest of the experience. I would try to be calm when talking to the TA. If you are rude then it's no surprise why she might not call you back. I would just say that you wish the accomodations were more specific because this isn't what you had hoped for. She's more likely to go to bat for you and try to make a change if you are nice to deal with. From the little information you gave us it's hard to tell if she is at fault or if it was just poor communication of what your expectations were.

this is about what i was going to say. i've only cruised once before, and we were in a cheap room, lowest floor of the ship. my mom is a very experienced cruiser and she is also a cruise consultant, and she warned me the rooms were small, the location was furthest from the action, etc etc but i didn't want to pay much. and it was an old ship, to boot. but you know what? it was my first time, and i was with friends and family, and we had a BLAST! the room was just somewhere to crash at night when we were too tired to have any more fun. we just needed a bed and a bathroom, and it was fine.

but i also agree a bit with the poster who said the TA should have made it all clearer to you. it sounds like you really aren't sure what you booked, and either you didn't pay close enough attention, or the TA did a horrible job of explaining it all to you. either one is not very good! and because my mom does sell cruises for a living, she has lots of stories about people who just don't get it no matter how many times she tries to explain everything to them. so i'd look through your paperwork and see what really happened when you booked.

good luck, i hope it doesn't ruin your special day.

You did say you had several passengers cruising for the first time - well then deck 1 is not the absolute worst place for them to be. The amount of movement in the bottom of the ship is a whole lot less than further up in the ship.

Thanks to all of you who read my review and for your opinions. I just wanted to let you know that fbecause of these boards I had a special travel agent go above and beyond to help me. With her help I now have everyone on deck 6 and my dilema with the one room has all been straightned around with a credit going back to that party.

I did call Carnival and didnt get far, BUT with the help of this board I received special instructions that if I needed to go over her head I could and how to go about it.

This cruise critic board is wonderful. Thanks again everyone!!

Well,

I was just going to suggest contacting her Manager but it sounds as if all is well in your part of the world right now................

I wish I had known about these boards before our first (23 day) cruise. You learn SO much on here and people are very caring and helpful.

Lots of people, BTW, book the lowest deck if they are doing a TA (Trans Atlantic, not Travel Agent;) ) because you get far less movement.

I know you will have a wonderful together time which you will all remember forever.

Tell us which ship and your itinerary and CONGRATULATIONS!!:)

Archived