Blazer and Tie okay for Formal Night?

nycruise

from Princess web site:

Question: How many formal/smart casual nights are scheduled for my cruise?

Answer: When you're in port, evening dress is casual, slacks, sweaters, blouses, open-neck shirts, etc. are typically worn. Shorts, cut-off T-shirts, "torn" jeans and bare feet are not permitted in the dining room. We only have formal and smart casual. Tuxedo rental can be arranged prior to the cruise on certain itineraries. On formal nights,

ladies prefer evening gowns or cocktail dresses and men turn out in tuxedos, dinner jackets, or dark suits. See the chart for general dress code schedule

no, according to the posting, sure would look nice for other than formal night though.

Are a Navy Blue Blazer, Tie and gray/tan slacks okay for men at formal night?
Depends on what you mean by ok, I have seem many people in similar levels of dress, it wasn't an issue. According to guidelines it is a bit off the mark, but I doubt anyone on the ship would be affected. Speaking for myself, I wear a tux but if someone came to the table in a blazer and slacks I wouldn't be concerned.

Based upon what Princess has in their promotional/cruise materials, the answer would be no. As I recall they request tuxedos or dark suits with ties for men. However, based upon: (a) my general observations of what many people choose to wear on formal nights (from blazers with open collar shirts, to polo shirts, to jeans); and (b) the postings on this board by many who frankly choose to interpet the rules differently than what was intended (from bringing liquor on board the ship, to choosing traditional dining then going to anytime dining), then I think wearing a blazer will be perfectly acceptable.

It's true that Princess states, "men turn out in tuxedos, dinner jackets, or dark suits" --- but they also turn out in navy blazers with grey or tan slacks, full military dress, fire, police, or fraternal lodge suits/uniforms and sometimes even kilts. And don't they just look dashing! All of them! Gotta love a "sharp dressed man".

Joy

It is thoughtful that you are concerned enough to inquire. This topic and thread tends to bring out the armies...

I occupy a profession that LOVES dark suits (not me) - personally I swear by and wear blazers (Black as well as Navy) in the standardless medium of my employment. Like another poster said a blazer is better than none.

That said, Host Chris' assertion "absolutely" is unfounded. It is merely a personal opinion that is at odds with cruise line proclamations as well as established dress standards. There are no well qualified dress or cruise line authorities that would assert that blazers qualify as "formal" dress. The line suggests that formal ware is dark suits or tuxedos in conformity with other knowledgeable authorities.

Line designations are a merger of clasical "formal" and "semi-formal" designations. Blazers are technically "informal" which is dressier than "casual".

So - take the Host's "absolutely" with a large grain of salt... Beats jeans and t-shirts though :)

Put a fork in me, I am done. I mean no disrespect to anyones answers, I do not want to argue or debate I am just too tired for it. Am I missing something, has something changed since I last looked, am I just another old f**t who remembers the "old days" and is afraid to let them go........for anyone who had seen "A Mighty Wind" and remembers Fred Willard..............."Whaaaaaaaaaa Happend?"

Anything that is neat, clean, and presentable is OK on formal night. Should the question have been rephrased to get an answer from the suggested dress from Princess' formal night guide? I give up.

Sorry Chris.....I am with woodofpine all the way on this one.

The more I read the replies about this topic, the more I lose patience with the total jerks that abound. biggrin.gif

If someone wants to get gussied up as Princess suggests, go for it!

But some just are not into that "stuffy stuff." If we wanted to get formally dressed every night, or whenever, we could book on the top drawer lines.............

As long as passengers don't offend by wearing jeans, cutoffs.........take your pick................who frankly gives a da......

Are there those who are sitting around checking out everyone who enters the dining room? They have nothing better to do than criticize?eek.gif

Getta life!!!!! redface.gif

I'm looking forward to my first Princess cruise. Hoping there are no passengers who are out-of-line in any way. And I just may keep my eyes open for those who are looking to find fault with the blazer wearers!

Ok! Now for the flames.

Toes, those of us who have been through dozens of these posts have learned that a smiley does not mitigate phrases like "total jerks" and "getta life". Inviting flames... also not condusive to within-guideline style conversations.

Those of use showing restraint would like to invite you to join us more fully.

Tippy toes, I hope you have a great time on your first Princess cruise, I can assure you, no one is going to be watching what others are wearing and no one is going to have their cruise ruined by what others do wear.

But the main point to all of these dress questions, and I think the point that gets some people upset is this: the cruise line has a suggested dress code for formal night, it is on their web site, it reads tux/dinner jacket/dark suit for men.

That is not negotiable.....that is what the thing states.

Are a Navy Blue Blazer, Tie and gray/tan slacks okay for men at formal night?

Again: Absolutely....assuming there's a shirt in that ensemble and some matching shoes, no shirt or shoes would not be acceptable

In addition you'll see young men in dress slacks, a shirt and tie, they'll also fit in just fine

On our Golden cruise in the spring I wore a dark suit but felt it more appropriate to wear a tux on our Caribbean Princess cruise earlier this summer.

To suggest that the cruise line's suggested dress code is set in stone is not consistent with what you'll see on the ship.

Directly from Princess:

"Guidelines (as in suggested, not mandatory regulations) for wear from 5:30 p.m. and thoroughout the evening are:

Formal

A tuxedo or dark business suit for gentlemen and a full-length evening gown, cocktail dress, or pantsuit for the ladies"

In my opinion a blazer,tie and slacks is "okay" by Princess and the majority of passengers...In over 35 years of cruising I have never seen anyone wearing a jacket and tie denied admission to a dining room on a mass market ship like Princess on formal nights.

At the risk of being a "total jerk", and I've been called worse for politely disagreeing with others, you draw your line in the proverbial dress code sand with blue jeans and cutoffs. Others draw their line as to what is considered within the spirit of the evening and what isn't a little differently. These discussions do tend to get a little energetic, maybe because those of us who value an opportunity to strut our stuff in fine dress have some pent up frustrations that we chose not to give voice to during a cruise. Those frustrations do not stem from the fact that others choose not to participate; instead, they come from those who choose not to participate and feel the need to adopt an in-your-face stance when they encounter a limit to tolerance for their wishes.

The real point is that Princess provides alternatives for those who do not wish to participate in the formal affair. No one need feel left out or confined to their cabin if a dress-up evening isn't in their plans. There is wide latitude to do as you wish, and as long as you or anyone else does not intentionally cause conflict, you'll find the ship is big enough and people accepting enough to get along quite happily.

I would have to disagree with Chris on this---my interpretation of "guidelines" would mean a dark suit could be navy blue, charcoal gray, black, etc. Who is to say a leisure suit is not within the guidelines? Someone also mentioned that you won't be turned away from the dining room if you are wearing a blazer--they are absolutely right, but that is not the point. Princess clearly does not choose to enforce all of its rules, for the fear of upsetting their guests (again, look at the posts about chair hogs--Princess says don't hold a chair, but they don't seem to do much about it.) Similarly, on our last Alaskan cruise I saw multiple people (adults) in the dining room on fomral nite in jeans. Princess didn't say to them go the Horizon Court. I don't care what people wear--it makes no difference to me, but I do think those who choose not to follow the rules or guidleines should admit as much and stop trying to convince us that their behavior is ok. We are not the ones with an issue--those who feel the need to justify their departure from what they are asked to do are the opnes with the issue.

Archived