The Ryndam 10-21/10-31 Mex Riv/Sea of Cortez The Review!

kakalina

Thanks........that is kinda like I figured....pretty much in line with what we have been through before...Just didn't know if things went faster since this is a smaller ship (the last two we were on carried over 2000 passengers). One of our number cannot stand for long periods or walk very far, and two others are also somewhat limited on mobility....so not sure if they'll let them get off early (one is actually listed on ship as having handicapped issues), and if they let them off early, not sure if the group of us can all go together.........I actually don't care WHEN we get off really, and not trying to "take advantage"......just don't want the driver waiting a long time for us OR us waiting a long time for HIM....He would be coming from 2---2 1/2 hours away so hard to make adjustments for delays/changes in times......

We're really looking forward to this cruise......DH and I have been to 3 of the ports, but the rest (we're a group of 8) have not been to any of them......and for two of them, this will be their very first cruise. We are hoping the shore tours turn out good......We're using Mazatlan Frank in Mazatlan and his buddy (Fernando ???) in Puerto Vallarta, plus hitting the Rhythms of the Night evening tour in Puerto Vallarta, the Land of Zorro and Native Culture tour in Topolobompo, winging it in La Paz and Loreto, and then doing the Pirate Ship historical whale watching tour in Cabo (didn't figure anyone in our party was "up" for a Zodiac :) ).......

Please take care of "our" ship on your wonderful South Pacific cruise.....we'll be hopping on right after you get back:p

Thanks guys

We have sailed in that area quite a few times.

We are used to rough seas but do like to know if the stabilizers are in working order. I always worry about walking on a rocking ship - especially since we have gotten older. I an avoiding knee replacements - getting shotd. And DH refuses to take along his leg braces. So we always worry about falling.

Thanks guys

We have sailed in that area quite a few times.

We are used to rough seas but do like to know if the stabilizers are in working order. I always worry about walking on a rocking ship - especially since we have gotten older. I an avoiding knee replacements - getting shotd. And DH refuses to take along his leg braces. So we always worry about falling.

The seas on the Oct.7 - Oct 11th were something else. I have 150+ cruise days and have never seen anything like it before. The second part of the cruise (Oct.11 - Oct.21) was just fine. I think you will be great for your Nov cruise.

Just one thing.......take me with you.............................

Okey dokey. Here it is for what it is worth.

Dining and Food: OK Here is where it gets just a little bit sticky folks. We booked at the last minute and were given As You Wish Dining. To be perfectly honest it wasn't as bad as I had expected. Others have done a good job of explaining how it works so I won't go into that. Suffice it to say I never saw anyone waiting longer than 5 minutes for a table and those I spoke with were quite happy with the arrangements. For the solo traveler it may be different. My DH isn't normally fond of the main DR and chooses to eat most nights in the Lido. He was impressed that we were able to be seated, order and finish dining in about 45 minutes. However, when I went alone to the DR I was invariably seating with two other couples. They do ask if one wished to be seated with others and it worked out fine for me.

Now, the food. It was extremely disappointing. I don't care for the new menu format at all. It is set out in such a way that you have to read the entire menu. For example there may be two soups listed on page one, but another soup may be listed under the chefs recommendations and yet another listed in the always available section. I found it annoying and just not logical in its format.

The food was blah. It was not bad and not good. It was indifferent which is worse. I had no trouble finding something I like to eat every night, believe me. It was just that there was rarely anything that jumped out and said Yum. There seem to be fewer appetizers available for the evenings. I used to sometimes make a meal of the appetizers and some soup. For some reason all the desserts tasted the same! It may be I am getting jaded and used to the food, however I was disappointed.

The service in the DR was wonderful as always and the lower DR Host Rachmat was absolutely the best.

The dining in the Lido was quite good and offered more of the same selections as in the main DR than on other cruises. It would seem they are trying to even out so that everything is available everywhere. On the last formal night surf and turf was available in the Lido. DH was very happy :D The Lido manager Antonio was accomadating and the service was efficient, pleasant and swift.

Do you think the issue with the food has anything to do with the fact that you take the same few cruises over and over (if I recall you don't fly), so it's just become the boring same same?

Archived