Maui (first day) - back to square 1!

bankofdad

I was just advised yesterday afternoon that the limo tour to Hana that we had been reserved for on the first day of our cruise stop in Maui with Star Limo's was cancelled (lack of cars & drivers).

Sooo, we're renting a car, but I don't want to drive Hana on my own. We've now got late afternoon and evening plans in Lahaina, and would like to here what other have found worthwhile and exiting to do and see on Maui!

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and recommendations!

I've heard from multiple people that we should go see Iao Valley State Park and also check out Haleakala Crater. Perhaps, you can fill your time with those. I'll be in Maui this week so I'll report on what we do. I think the plan is to drive a little bit of the Road to Hana (just to experience it) and then turn around and do some other sightseeing.

Get out of Lahaina. Just kidding, it's a nice town, but there is so much more to see on the island of Maui. Just drive either way and you will see some spectacular scenery. We once had only 2 days and the first drove part of the way to Hana, gorgeous. The next day, we drove over to Wailea and spent a few hours at the beach at the Grand Wailea Hotel. Next, we drove over to Napili Bay, where we had spent our honeymoon 19 years ago. Park at one of the hotels and take a walk around the beach there, it's a gorgeous place to be. You can follow the road over to Kaanapali, beautiful......We're not much into the tourist shopping, would rather strike out on our own and find a quiet spot.

We've not been inland too much on Maui, I guess we'll have to go back.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

bug_dan - thanks for the link! We're leaning toward a Northwest Maui tour on our own (since we're ending up in Lahaina anyway), with several of the stops shown on the website. Thanks for sharing!

Sea Island Lady - We booked the Hana Limo Tour" on April 12th; nearly five months ago. We were going to be picked up at the pier, taken to Hana, and then dropped off in Lahaina around 5PM (we're going to the Feast at Lele).

I contacted them yesterday in order to schedule chartered service after the Feast at Lele, and was advised when I called that they were fully suspending all tours to Hana that they had been offering on their website, and that I "was on their list to call". The reason given to me was that they did not have enough limos and drivers. Safe to say, I was initially disappointed, but we've already moved on, and like the alternatives very much. Besides, a trip to Hana will just be one of our many excuses to come back again!

It might be a good idea to call them to check, however, it could also be that the date and arrangements you made were different then ours, and weren't a problem for them. I hope it works out for you!

Bankofdad, I think we are on the same POA cruise date you are. We are also renting a car that first day and going to Lahaina. That evening we are goint to the Old Lahaina Luau. Heard good and bad (More good than bad). We are thinking about doing Hana EARLY the second day in time permits?

Hi TylerGI've seen reviews where other CC members have done the same thing as your planning, and had a great time! The second day we're going to Molokini on an AM snorkel tour, which was very high on our list of things we wanted to do.

Sometimes I just can't believe all of the wonderful things we have to choose from on our vacation. What a blessing! Like I've said before, all the more reason to come back again soon!

Have fun, and we'll see you on board!

I've heard from multiple people that we should go see Iao Valley State Park and also check out Haleakala Crater. Perhaps, you can fill your time with those. I'll be in Maui this week so I'll report on what we do. I think the plan is to drive a little bit of the Road to Hana (just to experience it) and then turn around and do some other sightseeing.

If you are in the central area of the island, we highly

recommend a visit to Iao Valley. (pronounced eee-yow,

by the way).

Sunrise at the crater is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Be ready for cold winds, 10,000 feet altitude, and unbelievable

views of islands, ocean, sky, clouds, and a sun coming up over the

rim of the world. The crater is awesome any time, but sunrise is

special.

To help those visitors who are unsure about the ports

on the island, I've posted a PDF on our website,

and replied to another thread here on CruiseCritic

with the link. The map and information are at:

http://www219.pair.com/swansonr/pics/maui2.pdf

Another suggestion for a more active day...try HIKE MAUI. Our family of 4 and another family did a hike with an experienced guide with this outfit. Our kids(9 & 6 yrs) loved it! we chose the easiest hike...and it still had lots of thrills. After swimming in the pools and ocean all the time, this was a great alternative for our children to see a real rain forest.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions!

We've rented a convertable, and are going to drive up past Lahaina, and stop at some of the sites listed in the "Maui Revealed" guidebook and snorkel/swim. We're going to stay off the ship that night and stay at the Sheraton on Kaanapali Beach. In the evening, we're attending the Feast at Lele on the beach in Lahaina.

The next morning we're sailing out of Maalea on the Four Winds, then a late lunch in Paia at Mama's Fish House before returning the car.

We thought about driving the road th Hana on our own, but decided not to because we really wanted to see West Maui and attend the Feast at Lele. I've read where others have done both Hana Hwy and a Lahaina lua in the same day, and it sounded somewhat tiresome. Plus, it gives us a reason to come back!

Talking about it makes me wish we were already there!:p

The snorkeling at Molokini was fabulous!! We saw a monk seal, white reef sharks, eels, gorgeous fish. We saw sea turtles at the 2nd stop and a baby octopus.

By the way, when you decide to do the Road to Hana on your return trip -- definitely use the Maul Revealed book. It was right on the money. Same for Kauai book. Led us down dirt paths to wonderful, hidden surprises.

Hi Sea Island Lady,

We were initially very dissapointed over the way Star Limo handled this. We made the reservation a long time ago, and I still don't buy it the I was "on their list to call". Too much of a coincidence, but then again, I guess I can never know that for sure. Last time I checked, they were still advertising this tour on their website.

Maybe they just got over-booked on the particular date we had reserved with them. All I can say is that we are very grateful there is so much to do on Maui. After we got over the initial dissapointment and started looking at the alternatives, I can't say I even think about it much anymore.

I hope it works out for you, but as I'm sure you'll do, don't let too much time pass without calling them again! Good Luck!

Hmmmmmmmmmm this is very interesting........we had been emailing back n forth with Star limo for a week or so......suddenly on Monday, they state that they are totally booked for the times we were interested in booking.......sounds odd to me...........also, we were going October 3-6 in Honolulu.......

Hmmmmmmmmmm this is very interesting........we had been emailing back n forth with Star limo for a week or so......suddenly on Monday, they state that they are totally booked for the times we were interested in booking.......sounds odd to me...........also, we were going October 3-6 in Honolulu.......

We just did Road to Hana, booked thru Tom's barefoot Tours. They used Ekahi Tours, 13 seat mini-bus. They picked us up at the ship 8:15AM and we were back at 5:15PM. We had a fabulous driver, KEN. They include breakfast and a freshly made lunch. It was well worth it. IMHO, I would never drive that road........better leave the driving to Ken! Bob

COASTERBOB: I just got off the phone with Tom's Barefoot Tours and was told that the Ekahi tours Road to Hana tour does NOT pick up at the ship?!? In fact, I was told that none of the Road to Hana tours will pick up at the ship and we should just do it on our own. Do you remember the name of the person you dealt with at Tom's barefoot tours? Maybe I need to talk to someone else there. Thanks for any help!:)

COASTERBOB: I just got off the phone with Tom's Barefoot Tours and was told that the Ekahi tours Road to Hana tour does NOT pick up at the ship?!? In fact, I was told that none of the Road to Hana tours will pick up at the ship and we should just do it on our own. Do you remember the name of the person you dealt with at Tom's barefoot tours? Maybe I need to talk to someone else there. Thanks for any help!:)

OK, what happened with us was the bus was suppose to pick us up outside the gate of the terminal. But we had a handicapped person with us, and security let the bus come back to the gate. The tour company guy (Ken) said he wasn't suppose to, but I simply asked security and they said np problem at all. And the bus easily dropped us off at the gate as well. Maybe call Ekahi direct (they have a website, and tell them our story. Ask for Ken as driver . he was wonderful! Good luck! Bob

Bob: Ekahi tours will pick us up at the pier, we just have to make sure we get on the 7:30 tender in order to meet them. Thanks for the help and I'll be sure to ask for Ken and let him know you recommended him!:) Jean

Soon after my last post (9/16), I received the following email from Star Tours.

Aloha! We will confirm your limo on Friday. We are traveling and will

return tomorrow . I don't have your info on this computer - it is on a

computer at our office. Will e-mail you as soon as we get to it...xxxxx

Yesterday was Friday, but no email. OK, I have come home from vacation and been way behind, so I will give them weekend as I said before.;)

Archived