Legend out of Tampa

ecat522

Hello...I am very new in the cruise world. I have never been on a cruise, but I am taking my first cruise in November on the Legend. I'm really scared...I have never been out at sea and am hoping I don't get sea sick. I am wondering how cruises work...any tips for a first timer to look out for? Any things to remember? Also, any excursions that any one really recommends? I would appreciate any insight. Thanks so much!

E

Hey there, we are on Legend also but not till March:(

Just don't sweat the small stuff, have a great time. I have never been on Legend but I have been on Miracle which is the same style, size of ship. I have a little motion problem but felt nothing on this ship. Layout is great and easy to get around.

Have a awesome time!!!!

Kim

First of all, welcome to Cruise Critic. You came to the right place for your questions. I wouldn't worry about getting seasick if you normally don't get motion sickness. You can take ginger tablets if you think you might. there are others that some may recommend. The Legend is a great ship, and Tampa is a very nice port to sail from. I think there is a board here somewhere called "first time cruiser" that you could check out for more info. Have a great time and prepare to be addicted.

You are sailing out of a wonderful home port on a ship that is very easy to navigate........so you are already off to a great start.

best advise:

1) you are on vacation relax

2) if you are going with others....you can't make everyone happy all of the time....do what you want to do to make your vacation the most enjoyable for you. If that happens to involve the others, BONUS. If not, it'll make nice conversation when you do get to see them.

3) Start saving for your next cruise......you will have PCD.....post cruise depression. It can't be helped and you do not want the cure.........only a temporary reprieve. And you can get this by booking any 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 10, 13 or 14 day cruise. The same also applies to any back to back cruises, cruises to nowhere, transatlantic, Alaskan, Hawaiian or any other numbered day combination of cruises.

ENJOY!!!!

I know...I've always done the all inclusive resort vacations and thought I needed a change. I'm sooo excited, all I can think about is the cruise. I'm also going on 11/25. I heard the ship is like a city in itself...really big. I'm not a big fan of being in the middle of the sea, so I probably shouldn't look over the edge! Haha. What kind of clothes do you wear in the dining room? Formal wear? Do you recommend drink cards? I appreciate everyone's help! I have so many questions and want to make it a great experience!

No need to be scared--the Legend is a beautiful ship, with a great crew! You are in for a fantastic vacation! :)

There are some very helpful articles on this site and elsewhere that explain a lot about how cruises work. Here are a couple of links for you.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/area.cfm?ID=13

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/firsttime/

My DD has some problems with motion sickness so we were worried that she would have a hard time on our first cruise. It turned out that everything was fine! We took bonine tablets for her and she had no problem at all!

Have a great first cruise! I sure the bug will bite you as hard as it has the rest of us--so this cruise is probably the start of a new obsession! LOL!

I always wear khaki pants and a golf type shirt to dinner except for formal nights, then I wear a tux. My DW wears dresses up every night. We've never bought drink cards. We just put everything on out S&S card. It's amazing how big the ships are and what they have on them. Check out the roll call section and look for your sailing date as well.

I don't really have anything to add that hasn't already been said in this thread, but I wanted to wish you well on your first cruise....you'll probably end up with the addiction like the rest of us :)

I was on the Legend last week and I must say, you have picked a great ship to sail on. I have sailed on 3 other classes of Carnival ships and the Legend had the best layout hands down.

I have been on 4 cruises, and always require a 'patch'. You may want to get a prescription, just in case. Because if you are sea sick, the trip will be misarable. I was on the Legend last week, and one of our group members was a first time cruiser--she was deathly sick for 2 days. I had some extra patches, and she was fine from the 3rd day on.

The patch is called scopolomine, and is available by prescription only.

You may not need it after all, but better to be safe than sorry!

P.S. Here's what we did in port--we had a great time!

Grand Cayman--Nativeway's "Rays, Reef, and Rum Point" tour

Cozumel--Paradise Beach

Belize--Tour with *************** (Margaret Tillet) Baboon Sanctuary

Roatan--Island tour and snorkeling with Victor Bodden

These are all very reputable people, and much cheaper than the boat tours!

Hey there, we are on Legend also but not till March:(

Just don't sweat the small stuff, have a great time.

Kim

I'm on the Legend too ... in June ... and I agree with Kim ... don't sweat the small stuff, have a great time!! I've never been motion sick, but everyone's different ... if you think you might get that way, just read these boards - there's plenty remedies!

I'm out on the Legend on 11/11. 2nd cruise. We bought the drink cards. Makes things very simple. You just flash them and drink. :) My advice is to try everything. Try the dining room, try the buffet, try the snack type areas, have room service one morning. See what you like for next time. And, there will be a next time. Wait and see. Have a great time.

One of the hidden treasures we found on our last cruise - instead of the buffet, which gets crazy, try the dining room for lunch. It was so relaxing - gave us time to recharge in a quiet setting. Even the kids liked it!

I just returned from the Legend yesterday, the cruise was great. We did have some rough seas though and could not port in Grand Cayman, 45mph winds and 6 to 7 ft sea swells at the time of anchoring and they were both expected to grow so the Harbor Master would not let us drop anchor and tender boats could not run anyway. So we missed Grand Cayman and had another sea day. The next two days the weather was great, then on Friday we pulled in to Roatan and as soon as the ship was tied to the pier it started raining and it rained all day long. Other than those two issues, it was great, the crew was wonderful, the food was very good and the drinks were very strong. When you go and if you drink, go to Sachomo's Lounge and have Yura the bartender mix you a Chocolate Martini, tell him James sent you, he makes the best I have ever had, so good that the first night I had 14, yes 14, and really paid for it the next day. Hope ya'll have as great a cruise as I did.

14? Yikes...I am a sucker for martinis, but not that many! That kind of scares me about the high seas...I hope that doesn't happen to us! Does the water feel rough? I probably sound really paranoid, but being on a huge ship in the middle of the ocean is scary!!!

14? Yikes...I am a sucker for martinis, but not that many! That kind of scares me about the high seas...I hope that doesn't happen to us! Does the water feel rough? I probably sound really paranoid, but being on a huge ship in the middle of the ocean is scary!!!

What is it exactly that you are afraid of? The captain will make sure that you are as safe as you can be. I've never had any sort of fears about cruising itself, but I get pretty frightened when it comes time to get the sail & sign bill at the end :D

James....14 martinis??? :eek: I'm not sure whether to be shocked or awed :D

I'm on the Legend on the 18th of this month. I'm so excited!!!! This is our first cruise but thanks to these boards I've been able to get most of my questions answered and I am ready to go. Not so sure I could hand 14 drinks though. Might not be able to pick me back up off the deck.:p

Archived