More likely to get upgrade w/TA or PVP?

shashy

Hi,

Do you think there is a better chance of getting an upgrade with a PVP or a TA? The PVP that has been talking to me has been telling(selling) me the high possibility of getting upgrades. That is her focal point. I am not really connecting with her so I wasn't sure if staying with her would give me a better chance of an upgrade.:confused:

My PVP is awesome, she has given my upgrades on both my last cruise and the one coming up. We also use the military discount, so I feel we are really getting our money's worth.

I was thinking of using a TA, and did research before booking my cruise next Sept. I called several agents and compared prices (and perks) with them and then called my PVP and compared with her. I always get better prices with her. I may not get the perks, but I would rather save on the cabin price anyway. For our Sept cruise she kept our cabin "open" for a free upgrade!

On my last cruise I saw that the specific cabin I usually book had become available about 2 weeks before the sail date. Since it would be a higher category, I called my PVP & asked how much more it would be. It was more than I wanted to pay so I didn't take it. A week before the cruise he surprised me with the upgrade for no additional cost! Did I say how much I love him?

Neither a TA or PVP has any control over upgrades.

What?

Large TAs block out large number of rooms and they basically own them.They then resell the rooms at a greater profit.They have at their own option, the ability to upgrade you to a higher catagory so they can sell the lower catagories and not end up holding any rooms.This is very important with lowest price guarantee's.

If permitted here....Host????

I will list the names of two large travel agencies which do exactly that. I got internally bumped up 2 cruises ago from an inside to a balcony. I also had 11 cabins booked and had 2 others go from insides to OV and 2 OVs to balconies.

Ever notice that sometimes,everyone at your table is from the same agency?

What?

Large TAs block out large number of rooms and they basically own them.They then resell the rooms at a greater profit.They have at their own option, the ability to upgrade you to a higher catagory so they can sell the lower catagories and not end up holding any rooms.This is very important with lowest price guarantee's.

If permitted here....Host????

I will list the names of two large travel agencies which do exactly that. I got internally bumped up 2 cruises ago from an inside to a balcony. I also had 11 cabins booked and had 2 others go from insides to OV and 2 OVs to balconies.

Ever notice that sometimes,everyone at your table is from the same agency?

I dont think any think that TAs do not sell group space, why would you want to name TAs?

This is a practice much discussed and known on CC.

My PVP is awesome, she has given my upgrades on both my last cruise and the one coming up. We also use the military discount, so I feel we are really getting our money's worth.

I was thinking of using a TA, and did research before booking my cruise next Sept. I called several agents and compared prices (and perks) with them and then called my PVP and compared with her. I always get better prices with her. I may not get the perks, but I would rather save on the cabin price anyway. For our Sept cruise she kept our cabin "open" for a free upgrade!

you must be dealing with TA's that don't have much knowledge.

I can't see how CCL can be cheaper than a TA unless the TA doesn't know what discounts are available .

Bill

Hi,

Do you think there is a better chance of getting an upgrade with a PVP or a TA? The PVP that has been talking to me has been telling(selling) me the high possibility of getting upgrades. That is her focal point. I am not really connecting with her so I wasn't sure if staying with her would give me a better chance of an upgrade.:confused:

If a there is a possibility of a upgrade the chances are the same whether you have a PVP or TA.

you must be dealing with TA's that don't have much knowledge.

I can't see how CCL can be cheaper than a TA unless the TA doesn't know what discounts are available .

Bill

To be honest, I don't have much knowledge about TA's at all. The cruise I booked was only $194/pp. When I called the TA's, they each quoted me the same, $254(+) with $50 OBC for the cabin. Military discount would have brought it down to $224. I still got cheaper military with my PVP. She also kept my cabin unassigned for a possible free upgrade and is having something sent to us for our anniversary. I would LOVE to be able to get cheaper and perks with a TA, but didn't see that with the research I did for this cruise?

• 2 weeks later...

I book military rates and from my experience a discounting TA company WILL get you a better price. There are a few online search engines that include military rates and these rates are IDENTICAL to carnivals PVP rates. Do some calling around I have one that discounts the military rate. I booked the 1/5/08 glory cruise yesterday and my TA's price was $101 cheaper than carnivals PVP price for the same cabin. I guess it comes down to who you are comfortable with but I prefer getting a better price and having someone representing me and not the cruise line.

I book military rates and from my experience a discounting TA company WILL get you a better price. There are a few online search engines that include military rates and these rates are IDENTICAL to carnivals PVP rates. Do some calling around I have one that discounts the military rate. I booked the 1/5/08 glory cruise yesterday and my TA's price was $101 cheaper than carnivals PVP price for the same cabin. I guess it comes down to who you are comfortable with but I prefer getting a better price and having someone representing me and not the cruise line.

I dont think that was the question??? The question is if you book with Carnival vs. a TA whom are you more likely to get a visit from the upgrade fairy.

Yes, many many TAs do discount Carnival prices. People seem to be getting into the TA vs PVP question instead of the question posed by the OP.

I read something I got from a guy selling a travel book saying he thought some large online TAs had more power to give free upgrades because of blocks they had control of or something (not group cruises). I posted the long article here and someone said I should not post it here without a link or giving the aurthor credit. But a book writer does think there are times when a site can upgrade you when Carnival cant. Who really know about the elusive upgrade fairy. I dont think its information Carnival wants us to know how they upgrade lol.

Archived