What would you do if your luggage got lost?

Jay Bee

I'm getting nervous about our upcoming flights. The connection time isn't that great and neither is the reputation of the regional jet that is the first leg. I arranged these myself and not through RCCL. So here's my question...

If your luggage doesn't arrive at the destination airport, what would you do? Of course, you'd try to see if it was coming on the next flight and if you could still make it to the port, but what if that didn't happen? Would you go? How would you handle the complete lack of clothes and supplies?

file the necessary paper work...buy somenew clothes supplies either on the ship at the port or when I got to the new ports of call ... and get on with my vacation...I waited a long time for this vacation...and lost luggage is not going to prevent me from having a good time. Just think of all the great things you could buy in the Caribbean or where ever you are going.

I would pack a carry-on with mix-match clothing to cover a couple days. We did this in August because of all the horror stories of lost luggage at the Rome airport. My carry-on contained lightweight capri pants, underwear, socks, sandals, long sleeve top, short sleeve top, skort, hat and lightweight black sweat pants. I was wearing a short sleeve blouse, lightweight black cotton pants, running shoes and a hoody.

I figured I could make a wardrobe out of those pieces to last a few days if luggage was lost. My DH did the same.

We carried most of the essentials toiletries in our hand luggage (used the required one quart baggie for restricted items) as well as our medications and important paperwork.

I would definitely still board the cruise and provide the airline with the upcoming ports of call and information on how to reach us if the luggage showed up.

Several people on our cruise were without their luggage for 5 days (12 night cruise); the cruise line helped out with vouchers for tux rentals and a few little things and other passengers who heard about their plight stepped in and offered to share clothing.

Kathy:)

Wouldn't let it bother us. We also have a couple changes of clothes in our carryons along with all medicine, cameras, laptop, jewelry, other valuables.

When we fly we always cross pack as was suggested before. As long as one suitcase makes it, we would have enough clothes for the week.

For 3 or 4 day cruises, we just have carryons.

Lost luggage happened to us but not on way to the ship.

Funny, i didnt think of that possibly because we had 10 days in Orlando before the cruise out of Miami.

United lost not 1 but all 3 of our bags. They had no idea where they were and finally got them back after 6 days.

Luckily, we had travel insurance which paid for us to buy more clothes etc. I strongly suggest you make sure you have insurance not only for this reason but medical as well.

As others have said maybe put one spare set of clothing in your hand luggage just in case.

Dont stress about it, there is always an answer to any dilema. This being from a person who has had their fair share doing a round the world trip.

Caz

I am neurotic when it comes to my luggage. I won't even leave the desk where I am checking in until I make sure that I read the baggage label to make sure that it has the correct destination tagged on it. Then I wait until I see it going on it's merry way down the convery belt with my fingers crossed that I will see it again when I land. This all is due to prior experiences. We were boarded on Lufthansa when the flight atttendent said to DH how many bags did you check in? When Dh said 4 they only had 3 because there was DH's bag next to the plane on the turmac. Luckily it got on board. Princess never took DH's bag off of the ship they found it when they reached Sitka & had to send it home. It took 2 weeks for it's return. We now get insurance, place a sheet of paper with our destination inside the luggage in case a piece gets lost they know hopefully where to deliver it.

One piece of our luggage has been lost since we got off the Liberty one week ago. RCI has not been helpful, their attitude is it happens all the time. We have made and received several calls from RCI. I sent 2 different emails with no response. In our case, they located the bag, then lost it again.

RCI offers $300.00 for the entire contents of a lost bag. That will barely cover the cost of the piece of luggage. We also took travel insurance, and the coverage there is minimal as well.

I look at lost luggage so differently now that it has happened to me and I see the process implemented by the travel industry.

This happened to my partner and me the summer before last on a Baltic cruise. The only thing I would add to everyone else's excellent advice is to make sure you inform the cruise line of your plight - and not just at check in. We told the check in clerk, but the message never made it to the ship's office on board. Big mistake. Most others got their luggage on day 2 of the cruise, ours did not catch up with us until day 6! And all because the shipboard staff didn't know to try to get ours to us (airline we used had a one day baggage handling strike that the cruise line was able to work around).

Other than that, if it ever happens, just go with the flow and have a wonderful time anyway.

Thank you all for the excellent suggestions!

We have changed to a larger carryons that will accomodate an extra day or so of clothing. My concern here had been that some of our regional jets do not have overhead bins large enough for the largest carryons. You have to check them at the gate and retrieve them afterwards. With a tight connection, this would be courting disaster. The ones I'm using are squishable so I think they will fit.

I have now cross packed with DH!!!!

Travel insurance was purchased some time ago so that is covered.

My only remaining question is this....

If the air is not through RCCL (as mine isn't) do they help in getting the baggage to the ship? Will the airline do this? I can't imagine them taking late bags from LAX and getting them down to a Mexican port if the ship has already set sail.

I planned so carefully for this trip, choosing this particular flight itinerary because it had a cushy 2 hour connection time. Then the airline revamped its schedule and I lost over an hour. :(

In my carryon, I pack one set of day time clothes for touring and one set of black slacks and black shirt for both myself and DH. Plenty of underwear and favorite shoes. DH carries on the electronics. Then we can make it no matter what. We can buy anything else we need.

I once read a review where the lady's luggage was lost and it ruined her vacation. According to her, there was nothing on the ship or in the ports in Alaska to buy and she wore he same blue jeans and shirt each day. Her cruise was ruined.... I'm not going to be that lady. First, I think she got in victim mode and did not snap out of it. Second, as someone else said, you have alot of time and money invested so snap out of it, shop, cruise, and enjoy!!!!

I once read a review where the lady's luggage was lost and it ruined her vacation. According to her, there was nothing on the ship or in the ports in Alaska to buy and she wore he same blue jeans and shirt each day. Her cruise was ruined.... I'm not going to be that lady.

That is exactly why I posted this question. I think without a survival plan in place I might be that lady. Attitude can make or break almost anything, and I find mine to be much better when I have contingency plans.

If you are that worried about it, then put as much as you can in your carry on luggage for the flights, and put what you could certainly purchase in your checked luggage. don't forget the airlines allow 2 pieces of carryon per person. I've seen people with 2 suitcases, or 1 suitcase and garment bag. If you can stand having to go thru the security at the airport with the carryon's then maybe you will rest easier. the chances your luggage will get lost is pretty slim,but if want to make sure you are not the one, well here you go.

Airlines allow one carry-on item and one personal item (purse, laptop bag, etc.). If you've seen ppl get away with two suitcases, they were lucky (or maybe one was really a laptop bag/briefcase). I've heard of and seen ppl having to check their extra carry-on items because they had more than one carry-on bag and one personal item.

curley23, the chances aren't all that slim. I only fly once or twice a year, and mine has been lost three times over the last decade. Well -- not lost -- delayed by 6 to 12 hours. But if you're flying in the same day as your cruise, a delay equals lost.

OP: For your next cruise, plan on flying into your port city the day before. The cost of a hotel is well worth not having to stress about this issue. In the meantime, lug as much of your gear onto the plane as they'll permit. Resolve that, if something does get lost, you will roll with the punches. Enjoy your cruise!

I'm getting nervous about our upcoming flights. The connection time isn't that great and neither is the reputation of the regional jet that is the first leg. I arranged these myself and not through RCCL. So here's my question...

If your luggage doesn't arrive at the destination airport, what would you do? Of course, you'd try to see if it was coming on the next flight and if you could still make it to the port, but what if that didn't happen? Would you go? How would you handle the complete lack of clothes and supplies?

make sure that you keep all receipts for your travel insurance claim.

Bill

I pack half my stuff in DH suitcase and he packs half his stuff in mine. Less likely both would be lost so we both end up with clothes. Anything I was missing POWER SHOP!

We've lost luggage 3 times (2 for cruises). Our motto: "Cross pack or cross dress!" We pack 2 "we can make do" suitcases and wear our bathing suits under ours clothes as we board. Heavily pack our carry-ons. We are still waiting to find my DH 2005 Mariner luggage! Once our luggage met us in Cozumel, and once it met us in Oregon. He gets $100 back, which is far less than what we had in there, not to mention the actual luggage! We don't take anything valuable. I leave tomorrow and haven't even begun to pack. This time we aren't even bringing a camera! It's just "stuff". We just learn to celebrate if it shows up and say "Doggone" if it doesn't. It hasn't ruined a cruise yet. There's always the Windjammer.............

LOL_ Since when are there no clothes in Alaska? I bet those naked Alaskans get cooooold! Brrrr. Roll with the punches. Have a blast!

KarenO

LOL_ Since when are there no clothes in Alaska? I bet those naked Alaskans get cooooold! Brrrr. Roll with the punches. Have a blast!

KarenO

Exactly. My guess that once the luggage was lost there was something wrong with everything. The clothes were too small, too big, too blue, too expensive, too far from the ship, etc. The food was too cold, too hot, etc.

the OP has the right idea to help set her attitude so that everything can be just right!

"Delayed baggage" - it sounds so much better than we forgot to put it on the aircraft, happens all the time, every cruise will have at least 1 person who didn't receive their baggage. It even happens to us crew members!!

One very important thing you can do (if you don't already do it) is to put your clothes in more than one case - so if there are two of you going, put half your clothes in each. The chances of both cases going walkabouts is alot less than one - unless they leave everyones baggage behind - it happens!

As others have said make sure you tell the airport baggage people that you are joining a cruise ship, and get the reference number they give you.

If your cruise line have agents at the airport, let them know, and make sure you inform the guest relations desk once you are onboard.

In most cases if the baggage doesnt arrive before the ship sails, the cruise line's agents will arrange for the baggage to meet the ship in a few days time at one of the later ports of call.

As annoying as it can be dont let it spoil your holiday, the airline will compensate you by varying amounts per 24 hour period that you don't have your baggage, and some travel insurance policies also compensate as well.

Also since you asked; it depends on cruise line how helpfull they will be, but the airline has responsibility to get the baggage to you, so yes, they will send it to another country - most as you pointed out will send it to the 2nd or 3rd port of call, just to ensure that it gets there before the ship :)

Hope this was helpfull

Our very first cruise... we actually got to wave goodbye to our luggage on the tarmack at the airport. So, I had the whole flight from Portland Maine to Miami to absorb the fact that at least 2 of our bags were not going to make it. (they overbooked the flight and bailed luggage off to meet the weight requirements).

The above posters have given great advice... cross pack... go a day early if you can... and most of all, don't let it ruin your vacation.

Enjoy your trip!

Not sure what the currently airline policy is, but Southwest used to require you to provide receipts for what was IN the bag- not the new stuff you bought. It was a nightmare the time they lost my bag! I eventually fudged my way through what could have been in the bag but seriously, who keeps receipts from clothes a year ago?

Weirder- on a flight from Portland to Sacramento, United lost my DOG! They sent her to Atlanta for some unknown reason. With lots of apologizes, I got her back the next day. Bags I can understand- they get left in a warehouse, fall off the baggage cart etc. But how do you lose a dog?

Not sure what the currently airline policy is, but Southwest used to require you to provide receipts for what was IN the bag- not the new stuff you bought. It was a nightmare the time they lost my bag! I eventually fudged my way through what could have been in the bag but seriously, who keeps receipts from clothes a year ago?

Weirder- on a flight from Portland to Sacramento, United lost my DOG! They sent her to Atlanta for some unknown reason. With lots of apologizes, I got her back the next day. Bags I can understand- they get left in a warehouse, fall off the baggage cart etc. But how do you lose a dog?

What a nightmare! Your poor dog!

Archived