beach day

Belfast Castle

Think my hubbie & I have decided on a beah day for Barbados - so we will be dockked from 7am-5pm.

This being the case I was hoping not to have to rush off the ship - may be8.30ish - so can anyone tell me will there still be taxis etc around the dock area 1 1/2 hrs after the ship has docked.

I take it is easy enough just to taxi it to a beach - any suggestions of a nice one with a bit going on? And is it easy enough to get a taxi at the beach for the return journey when we are ready to going back.

Regards,

Barbara

There will be taxis galore at the terminal. But avoid the gangster cabbies who congregate inside the terminal compound, demanding outrageous fares. Just keep walking for another 50 yeards. Once you are outside the compound, there is another gaggle of taxistas there. They are reasonable. When we were in Barbados in March, the price was $3 to Brighton Beach, and a little bit more to Boatyard. You can ask your cabbie to pick you up at a certain time for a return trip.

We'll be in Barbados again in four months. We'll try Accra beach. I'm sure the fare there will be considerably more.

There is a government tourism office inside the terminal. They can provide maps, recommendations and tell you how much you should pay for a cab. Barbados is one of our favorites. Hope it will be yours, too.

accra beach is our favorite. it is close enough, 20 minutes, to the pier, yet far away enough to be a more local flavor. there are vendors on the beach with chairs and umbrellas as well as food huts. right across the street there is a cheffette restaurant with good food, especially rotis. try them, not only are they good, but they are hard to find in the states.

steve

Accra beach is our favorite. ===> Ours too! - and we live here!!

it is close enough, 20 minutes, to the pier, yet far away enough to be a more local flavor.

there are vendors on the beach with chairs and umbrellas as well as food huts.

right across the street there is a Cheffette restaurant with good food, especially rotis.

This guy knows his stuff!

scenery's nice too:)

notice the pink sand in that last shot:

it shows quite well -when wet- at this beach.

Sarah T your pics look great! Can you tell me how much the taxi was from the pier to Accra? Also do they have a beach bar? Looks like there are chairs for rent- yes??

I am thinking Accra or Boatyard - just weighing out the two. We are not party people but like a nice beach where we are not bothered by a lot of vendors and enjoy a frozen drink while reading a good book.

Thanks in advance for your response -

Toot Toot - Me too Me too

Accra Pics got to love that place. :D

Lets have a beach party :cool:

Looks like someone had some time on their hands, for a change.

Must've bin Sunday,huh?:D

Nice pics! Loved the one of the two kids.

Sarah T:

Your pictures are beautiful! I wish I was there right now! LOL Are there bathroom facilities/showers at Accra? Is the water normally calm with a little wave action?

To recap.. the beach is 20 minutes from the pier, chairs/umbrellas to rent/bar/food available. Not very busy but yet still close to town. Are the bars/restaurants on the beach?

Seems like the day we are in port there will be three other ships besides ours!:eek: So far Plan A is the Hilton if we are able to go, Plan B is the Boatyard and Plan C is the lobster place on Carlisle Bay. Now I may have plan D.. Accra! LOL

Since you are local.. any advice?

Aplmac.. since you are on this thread as well.. any advice on Accra compared to my other three choices! LOL

I need a vacation in Barbados!

Thanks in advance to both of you!

Sea ya!

Aplmac.. any advice on Accra compared to my other three choices!

Knowing what I know about the choices you mentioned above..

(and after phoning ahead to Hilton to check availability)

I'd have Accra higher on my list than Boatyard

with the lobster place right next door

- you should consider those last two (B.yard and lobster)

as 1 location with two flavours - they're 50 yards apart

and so are 'their' beaches.

. . . . . . . . . . . .

see the Accra pics?

they should be telling you something.

the earlier you get there...the better.

______________look for the pink sand in the wash zone _________________

_______________________________________ .... . . . . . .

Aplmac:

Thank you for the information.:)

In regard to the Hilton... where can we go to contact the hotel to see if they will accept us for for the day? I know there is an information booth inside the shopping area but would they be willing to contact the Hilton for us? Any idea how much a taxi would be per person?

Right now this is our first choice and hoping to get there. We may have another couple going with us.

Thank you for all of your help!!!

Sea ya!

Sarah T, you are so enthusiastic about Accra. Would you choose that over Crane Beach or Bottom Bay?

LOL You know it depends what you are looking for but for a day at the beach Yes LOL

Accra is gorgeous and the sea is calmer it is easier to get to they have beach facilities, Restaurants & shops are also nearby. There is also a taxi stand there so it is easy to find a cab when you need one.Just remember to ask the price first.

I would also like which one is best between Accra and Crane ?

Thanks.

I Hope that helps you out to New@Crusin

I am personaly not big on the Crane I prefer Foul Bay but you could end up getting deserted up there LOL unless you have a car or a reliable taxi driver

Archived