Booked excursion 2008?

greatmom

I have booked our Harv & Marv Whale Watching Tour out of Juneau for June 1, 2008 and our Major Marine Prince William Sound Glacier Cruise out of Whittier for May 26, 2008. I am still working on setting up either a jet boat trip or a raft trip.

I also booked my Harv & Marv whale watching excursion. Because several of us talked about it on our roll call thread - and each called to book, I wouldn't be surprised if that day is not entirely booked up with them already. And that is early June 2008.

So if there is something you really, really want to do - I wouldn't wait.

Have already booked whale watching with Harv and Marv in Juneau.

Hi, We too are going the 1st of may (may 4th) and I e-mailed Harv. & Marv & was told they don't start their tours til around the 11th..which we will miss. Are you cruyising for 7 days or more. ?

Have already booked whale watching with Harv and Marv in Juneau.

Hi, We too are going the 1st of may (may 4th) and I e-mailed Harv. & Marv & was told they don't start their tours til around the 11th..which we will miss. Are you cruising for 7 days or more. ?Thanks:)

Hi, We too are going the 1st of may (may 4th) and I e-mailed Harv. & Marv & was told they don't start their tours til around the 11th..which we will miss. Are you cruising for 7 days or more. ?Thanks:)

Good info! We're on a May 4th cruise, also, and had considered Harv & Marv. Maybe we'll just do the ship's whale watch/Mendenhall glacier tour instead. Have seen whales in Hawaii, so really more interested in the scenery anyway.

We did book our Skagway excursion already. It's the train/bus combo to the Yukon with Chilkoot Charters & Tours.

Good info! We're on a May 4th cruise, also, and had considered Harv & Marv. Maybe we'll just do the ship's whale watch/Mendenhall glacier tour instead. Have seen whales in Hawaii, so really more interested in the scenery anyway.

We did book our Skagway excursion already. It's the train/bus combo to the Yukon with Chilkoot Charters & Tours.

What cruise will you be on?

I'm just finishing up our reservations this week and it will be a relief to get them all done. We have a halibut fishing trip booked for the guys in Seward and a Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise for the gals.

In Skagway we have rental cars booked to take the drive listed in Murray's Guide up to the Yukon.

In Juneau we're going on a helicopter ride and glacier hiking with Northstar Trekking.

We'll be going on a kayak trip to Orcas Cove and then hopping on a float plane for bear viewing while we are in Ketchikan. This is a combo trip through Southeast Sea Kayaks and I'm really looking forward to it. I just hope we have a little time to explore Ketchikan afterwards.

About the only thing I still need to do is get our tickets for the train between Anchorage and Whittier. The Alaska RR page doesn't indicate when they are opening up for 2008 reservations. Does anyone know? - SF

About the only thing I still need to do is get our tickets for the train between Anchorage and Whittier. The Alaska RR page doesn't indicate when they are opening up for 2008 reservations. Does anyone know? - SF

You can't do them online but they've posted the 2008 prices for the Anchorage to Whittier ($60 one way), so I'd give them a call on their 800# - 800-544-0552 and they work 7 to 5 p.m. Alaska Standard Time - so we're 4 hours behind the east coast, 3 Central, 2 mountain and 1 pacific.

Susan in Anchorage :)

So far I've reserved just two excursions: a 4-hour wildlife cruise with Capt. Davey (Esther G Sea Taxi) in Sitka on July 30th, and a Mt. McKinley flight plus glacier landing on August 6th with Talkeetna Air Taxi. Those will be my two splurges.

After spending a lot of money for a disappointing Misty Fjords flight in Ketchikan this past summer, I'm planning on doing something very inexpensive in 2008 - like taking the city bus to Totem Bight, and enjoying Creek Street again. I didn't see the city of Juneau at all on our first trip, because we went on a whale watching trip and then to Mendenhall Glacier. I'm thinking of doing the 2.5-hour city and Mendenhall tour with Mighty Great Trips, and if the weather is clear - take a ride on the Mt. Roberts Tram. No idea about Haines yet, but I might just enjoy walking around the town.

I'm planning on both a Kenai Fjords cruise with Renown (new for my friends, but a repeat for me) and a 4-hour PWS glacier cruise out of Whittier, but will reserve those after the new year. We'll take the train from Seward to Anchorage, and I'll book that when it's available. The Denali Park shuttle bus can be reserved online beginning Dec. 1st - so I'll confer with my friends about which shuttle bus and at what time. I'm leaning towards the bus to the Eielson Center at 6:30 a.m.

Funny thing - this weekend I was thinking about what I would do on an Alaska land trip...in 2009! :eek:

You can't do them online but they've posted the 2008 prices for the Anchorage to Whittier ($60 one way), so I'd give them a call on their 800# - 800-544-0552 and they work 7 to 5 p.m. Alaska Standard Time - so we're 4 hours behind the east coast, 3 Central, 2 mountain and 1 pacific.

Great, I really appreciate the info! Thanks a bunch Susan and have a wonderful day! - SF

Funny thing - this weekend I was thinking about what I would do on an Alaska land trip...in 2009! :eek:

Why don't you just go to work for me for the summer????

Get to fly on all kinds of small planes around Juneau/Ketchikan. Can even go to Prudhoe and REALLY see something of the oil fields-not just the canned, package tour. Of course, you will probably have to drive one of the BP vans back for trade in. They have been used and abused and do break down (just take your sleeping bag, food, water and TP). An adventure of a lifetime.

Why don't you just go to work for me for the summer????

Get to fly on all kinds of small planes around Juneau/Ketchikan. Can even go to Prudhoe and REALLY see something of the oil fields-not just the canned, package tour. Of course, you will probably have to drive one of the BP vans back for trade in. They have been used and abused and do break down (just take your sleeping bag, food, water and TP). An adventure of a lifetime.

Don't tempt me - I just might apply! My husband might not be too keen about that idea, however. ;) My 2009 plans do call for some time in Fairbanks and a fly/drive daytrip to Coldfoot. I was also thinking about a stopover in Juneau for 4 days on the way to or from Anchorage. (I had been tentatively planning a land trip to those places for 2008, but a friend of mine wanted to cruise to Alaska, and she didn't have to twist my arm!)

Great, I really appreciate the info! Thanks a bunch Susan and have a wonderful day! - SF

You're welcome.

Also, wanted to let you all know that the Railroad is running a special through December 31st. You can get pick one of their adventure tours (basically a train ride and a function (like the 26 Glacier Cruise) for 2008 and pay 2007 prices. This is just one of the examples off their web site

THE 26 GLACIER CRUISE

Special! Book & pay by Dec 31, 2007 & pay 2007 package rates!

Another booked for June. Working on jetboat also. Need to call tomorrow.

If you don't mind me asking, what jet boat tour are you looking into? Always looking for other people's perspective on excursions.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

My group of 8 are booked with Harv & Marv in late May. Eileen was a joy to deal with and was prompt in returning e-mails/phone calls. I just noticed last week that our excursions through HAL have opened up for booking so I have some sifting and planning to do!

Hi MortimerM - We are booked with Harv and Marv for Saturday 10th May so if your information is correct, we should be one of their first trips of the season!

We are on a 14 night repositioning cruise leaving San Francisco on 3rd May and can't wait!

Best Wishes

Gill

I want to book the train/bus excursion with Chilkoot Charters as soon as possible too - we will be in Skagway on Sunday 11th May.

Best Wishes

Gill

I am going to Glacier Bay, Juneau, and Wrangell/Anan Creek in July (land-only tour).

Booked:

all-day Tracy Arm cruise from Juneau

whale watch with Harv and Marv from Juneau

To be booked:

all-day Glacier Bay boat tour

possible half-day Pt. Adolphus whale watch tour from Gustavus/Glacier Bay

Anan Bay cabin for two nights

boat transfer from Wrangell to Anan Creek and back

If I can't secure the cabin (can only book 6 months in advance), I will stay 3 nights in Wrangell (planning only one night there right now) and take two separate day trips to Anan Creek.

John

Archived