Golfers? Take Own Clubs?

sandestination

:) My DH wants to play Golf or so he thinks......He wanted to know if anyone did so when they were in port and if so did they bring there own clubs or rent...... Why I don't understand would you want to play golf at a place you have never visited instead of seeing the sites I don't know but to each his own. he loved playing in cancun but that was all inclusive and we were there for days. he said since we were in Nassau for a short while and only heard neg's about it maybe he could play nine????

Sure I have seen people carry on there clubs you dint want to go out to a course and not have your set of clubs with you then you have to rent probably a cheaper set that is not in tuned with your DW Swing thats the only thing that will give him compfort in his game ...

I have rented clubs in the past and none of them were not nearly what i wanted and Had horrible rounds of golf...You Get used to your clubs there tolls to the game, good golfers can make certain shots perfectly with there set but can not with another,,,I say let him be commfie with his clubs:o

We just did the Southern Caribbean route and DH played in 4 of the 5 ports. He had a WONDERFUL time. I went with him when he played Mahogany Run in St. Thomas and it was gorgeous. After golfing we still had time to see some sights and have some beach time. I am so happy he had the experience of playing in such beautiful areas.

That said, I would NOT rely on Carnival to be able to plan the excursion. I had pre-booked and prepaid for all of DH's tours through Carnival golf and 2 of the 4 were canceled due to lack of participation. DH still went, but he went taking a chance that he would be able to get on the course because we didn't find out until almost 10pm the night before that the next day's excursion had been canceled.

Also, unless your husband is a standard size (DH is 6'6") he should bring his own clubs. They only have a limited number of standard size clubs for rent on the boat. Because DH played in Puerto Rico and on the boat, it was justifiable for him to lug around his clubs on vacation. He was so lucky to be able to play 5 times in 5 different tropical locations in 9 days. :D

FI took his clubs last time-we drove to Florida though. This time he wants to bring them again-but we're flying. He's borrowing his brother's golf carrier set that zips up. He just better not expect to be using part of my luggage for his stuff-clubs count as one checked luggage. :)

You can also practise on most ships-they'll have a netted in area on the upper decks, I believe.

I groan as well at the thought of him spending so much money when we could do something together.

My DH and BIL like to golf at least once each cruise, and my BIL more frequently than that. BIL will bring his own clubs, but DH has always rented clubs. He has never been disappointed, the clubs have always been ok quality.

Our first cruise, Carnival didn't have their golf program and they contacted the golf course prior to cruising and set up their tee times and made plans to rent the clubs. Now days, it's easier with the golf program, Carnival takes care of everything ... Carnival used to offer a free ship excursion for the spouses that don't play golf. SIL and I have used that, while the guys played we took a tour. Other times, we just go chill on the beach ...

As for playing golf on a cruise, my DH and BIL really enjoy playing in a tropical setting. They played in Aruba, and then a few months after they were there, they saw it on TV with some professional tournament played on the same course.

enjoy your cruise!

We just did the Southern Caribbean route and DH played in 4 of the 5 ports. He had a WONDERFUL time. I went with him when he played Mahogany Run in St. Thomas and it was gorgeous. After golfing we still had time to see some sights and have some beach time. I am so happy he had the experience of playing in such beautiful areas.

That said, I would NOT rely on Carnival to be able to plan the excursion. I had pre-booked and prepaid for all of DH's tours through Carnival golf and 2 of the 4 were canceled due to lack of participation. DH still went, but he went taking a chance that he would be able to get on the course because we didn't find out until almost 10pm the night before that the next day's excursion had been canceled.

Also, unless your husband is a standard size (DH is 6'6") he should bring his own clubs. They only have a limited number of standard size clubs for rent on the boat. Because DH played in Puerto Rico and on the boat, it was justifiable for him to lug around his clubs on vacation. He was so lucky to be able to play 5 times in 5 different tropical locations in 9 days. :D

Woody and Taleci thanks for the info. I think I will check into the setting the golf up myself. Do you have to pre-pay for a tee time since you set up your D.H your self.. Also was it any cheaper. Didn't know about grabbing own cab, cart etc. we will be in Nassau from 8:30 till 2 heard it took a while getting to shore ??? But in St Thomas we are suppose to be there from 10am till 8pm... Don't know if that is formal night or not nassau on sunday st thomas on tues st marteen 8 till 6 wed then 2 at sea 7 days don't know how they pick which one is formal night. It will be Dec so weather should be good for him. Did they pair your husband with other golfers or did you just go for the ride

Lynda

Memphis TN

I am a golfer and my thought is that if the purpose of the destination is to play golf.....we have gone to play every day at the Mauna Lani in Hawaii.......then I take the clubs.

If we are traveling to see other things......I do not want to haul the clubs around for a single round during a cruise.

I am a golfer and my thought is that if the purpose of the destination is to play golf.....we have gone to play every day at the Mauna Lani in Hawaii.......then I take the clubs.

If we are traveling to see other things......I do not want to haul the clubs around for a single round during a cruise.

I am going to check with the airline about xtra cost for clubs. If it is by weight he can always leave the ones he hardly ever uses... grin...Gonna go online and check prices also haven't seen any golf excursions on carnival board for this ship. Thinking of going to Hawaii for regular stay can you reccomend one place over another. We want to stay on a beach as we both love the sound of the ocean waves particularlywalking or sitting on the balcony at night.

I am going to check with the airline about xtra cost for clubs. If it is by weight he can always leave the ones he hardly ever uses... grin...Gonna go online and check prices also haven't seen any golf excursions on carnival board for this ship. Thinking of going to Hawaii for regular stay can you reccomend one place over another. We want to stay on a beach as we both love the sound of the ocean waves particularlywalking or sitting on the balcony at night.

We have been twice to the Mauna Lani, on the Big Island and recommend it highly. It is on the beach and has a beautiful setting. Great food when we were there also.

There are so many golf resorts on the various islands.....it is hard to really know which is better.

Hi neighbor! I took my own clubs 2 months ago to Freeport on the Sensation, however I drove to Florida. I did not play in Nassau, so I can't comment on the course there, but the course in Freeport was not picturesque in any way....it was just like any ordinary course, not many palm trees, and nowhere near the ocean! In the future, I will investigate the courses more thoroughly, b/c for the prices they charge, I want the lush topical setting and the views, that makes it worth it.

I did play at Mohagoney Run in St. Thomas four years ago. It is beautiful and spectacular, just as advertised. The famed "Devil's Triangle" is made up of 3 very difficult but also spectacular holes. No. 13 is probably the most beautiful golf hole the the world, jutting out over the Caribbean.

Your DH must play there...it really is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Hi neighbor! I took my own clubs 2 months ago to Freeport on the Sensation, however I drove to Florida. I did not play in Nassau, so I can't comment on the course there, but the course in Freeport was not picturesque in any way....it was just like any ordinary course, not many palm trees, and nowhere near the ocean! In the future, I will investigate the courses more thoroughly, b/c for the prices they charge, I want the lush topical setting and the views, that makes it worth it.

I did play at Mohagoney Run in St. Thomas four years ago. It is beautiful and spectacular, just as advertised. The famed "Devil's Triangle" is made up of 3 very difficult but also spectacular holes. No. 13 is probably the most beautiful golf hole the the world, jutting out over the Caribbean.

Your DH must play there...it really is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Hi Pete you are a neighbor... I was looking on line last night another cruiser told me about Mohagoney Run. I went on line and found an article about it. It was beautiful. I didn't see anything about price but it did look like a once in a lifetime place to play. Did you book through carnival or on your own? since we will be there from 10 til 8pm he should have time to play and get to the ship before dark since we are going in the winter...I don't kow about the time difference if they are ahead or behind us on the island so have more daytime hours. If we didn't have to tender he would probably be fine. Did they pair you up with someone else, 4some ??? I noticed someone gave a link to carnival golf in one of the other responses to me. You work at fed-x since you were up so late??? or have my problem and just can't sleep sometime??? We have friends in Bartlett we use to live off katebond by the mall, then went to oakland now in Arlington. Can't see your picture verywell but I am probably a lot older then you D.H. 54 me 59. I know big age difference but I was tiny 23 and he just turned 18 when we went to get our license heads spun. I had no idea he was so young and he had no idea I was older and the marrige license guys mouth dropped because D.H. (Don) said he would be 18 in 2 days. Surprise we only knew each other six weeks. I had been married before and told my mom I had rather be married 25 times and happy then 25 yrs and miserable... Just had 36 yr anniversary and still happy. Anyway enough of that. See you are going on the Holiday. Thinking of taking the grand-kids this year since it is less expensive, specially where airfar is concerned. Let me know what you think of it.

Lynda

I went on a Carnival Golf (actually run by Elite Golf) outing at Cozumel off of the Triumph in 2006. I rented the entire golf package (clubs, shoes, and balls). The clubs were Nike and much better quality than my own clubs. The best part of doing it through Carnival was we were the first people off the ship. The 2 golf pros from the ship came with us and played along with us (6 passengers). I got professional instruction throughout the round. They were also great guys. It also was assuring to know if we got held up, they would hold the ship for us because the Pros took care of everything. It was a little pricey (about $300 for everything including food and tip) but I think it was the most fun I've ever had on a golf course. It was also a beautiful course.

My DH always brings his own clubs and books the excursions through the cruiseline (usually with Elite Golf).

When booking (if you wait until boarding - or just check in during the beginning day or two), advise the shore excursion manager that you would want to hold your tee-time in the event a tour is "cancelled due to lack of interest" - they will e-mail the specific course and hold your tee-time if they don't run the tour. All you do is take a taxi to the course and pay the course directly. Just be careful on watching the time to get back to the ship - but it works out fine.

DH has played in various ports now - and he loves it.

Lots of info here: http://www.carnivalgolf.com/carnival/

If DH has regular off the rack clubs, he may be better off renting.

He should just bring his shoes, glove(s), balls and tees.

My Brother made his clubs (retired pilot) then decided to pick up a hobby so he went to school and learned to make clubs..(now police officer in Vegas) anyway....Anyway my Don said they are great. Getting ready to call the airline in a few minutes to check xtra cost. I thought you were going on Glory 12-08-07...must have been another Don. I think he lived in Orlando. Have a great cruise when you do go.

Lynda

I went on a Carnival Golf (actually run by Elite Golf) outing at Cozumel off of the Triumph in 2006. I rented the entire golf package (clubs, shoes, and balls). The clubs were Nike and much better quality than my own clubs. The best part of doing it through Carnival was we were the first people off the ship. The 2 golf pros from the ship came with us and played along with us (6 passengers). I got professional instruction throughout the round. They were also great guys. It also was assuring to know if we got held up, they would hold the ship for us because the Pros took care of everything. It was a little pricey (about $300 for everything including food and tip) but I think it was the most fun I've ever had on a golf course. It was also a beautiful course.

Thanks Chris will relay that to hubby. yeah that was a little pricey but he works hard and he had a heart attack back in May so I want him to have a great time for you never know what tommorrow might bring. I know he would love to play with a golf pro around.

Lynda

DH always brings his own clubs, he his vertically challenged (5'5") and renting is sometimes a problem. Also his clubs are usually of better quality than the rentals.

That's funny he is 5'8 I contacted Elite through the carnival golf site was given earlier. The girl told me the price was wron. It is $195 to play mahogany run and 35 to rent clubs on ship (Nike) Checked with airline. (airtran said as 1 free bag ok or as an xtra bag $65.00 does include golf pro with the tour and they make a tape if you want to purchase and take home. All is booked to sign and sail card have to see the guy when board ship even if name is on the list.

That's funny he is 5'8 I contacted Elite through the carnival golf site was given earlier. The girl told me the price was wron. It is $195 to play mahogany run and 35 to rent clubs on ship (Nike) Checked with airline. (airtran said as 1 free bag ok or as an xtra bag $65.00 does include golf pro with the tour and they make a tape if you want to purchase and take home. All is booked to sign and sail card have to see the guy when board ship even if name is on the list.

The golf pro (at least on the Miracle) was in the main Atrium on embarkation day. We popped dowstairs and said "Hi" and she checked DH in. We got golf-related event flyers in the cabin, etc.

The Elite golf pro system works very well.

I thought you were going on Glory 12-08-07...must have been another Don. I think he lived in Orlando. Have a great cruise when you do go.

Lynda

No that's another Don (screen name escapes me for the moment). I know who you mean though.

FI took his clubs last time-we drove to Florida though. This time he wants to bring them again-but we're flying. He's borrowing his brother's golf carrier set that zips up. He just better not expect to be using part of my luggage for his stuff-clubs count as one checked luggage. :)

You can also practise on most ships-they'll have a netted in area on the upper decks, I believe.

I groan as well at the thought of him spending so much money when we could do something together.

Learn to play so you can play together!! My husband and I golf together up to 6 times a week in the spring, summer and fall, not so much in the winter. I would love to play in all the ports with him but lugging two sets of clubs might be a drag. We are flying to Cabo in Feb. and we are still undecided if we'll rent or bring our own.

He's tried... I really only enjoy it if he's buying me drinks. :) I can't stand it-and when he tries to give me advice, it just drives me more bonkers. Just let me play, and I'll get through it, lol.

I think I'd have better luck throwing the ball. :D

My husband and I played last year on Barbados. We rented clubs from the ship, (Nike clubs). They weren't too bad to play with but naturally nothing is better than your own clubs. I didn't want to take our own because sincethe airlines only allow so much baggage without paying an extra fee which I didn't want to do. I would have had to take less clothing so that was my reason for club rental.

Archived