Review of SUN Princess Transpacific cruise

Julia’s Journey’s

This is a review of our cruise, my opinions and view of our time on the SUN Princess.

We spent a wonderful 2 nights pre-cruise in Seattle, stayed at the Renaissance which I booked thru Priceline.

We boarded the ship on Sunday and the process was very quick and easy and our luggage arrived shortly after, we unpacked and found both our balcony on Caribe and the inside directly opposite had more than ample storage space. We had a great cabin steward who was very friendly and enjoyed chatting with the kids, we are not at all demanding and didn't make any special requests.

We attended the CC get together and muster drill which was really crowded as the Vista lounge could not hold all the people assigned to that station.

We really liked the size of this ship although I would not choose this class again if given a choice as I found the ship could not handle the cigarette smoke and we were stuck with an unuseable balcony as we had smokers on both sides so when the balcony door to go in or out the cabin was opened the smoke was sucked into the room. The passages smelt of smoke along with the atrium and lots of other public areas of the ship wether the smoking or non-smoking side. I felt like I spent a month living in an ashtray.

We chose anytime dining again and really enjoyed it, our first night we had a great team of waitstaff and booked tables after that so we could request there tables. We did this 90% of the time and ate with friends and invited other couple from our CC group to join us - it worked wonderfully.

The CC group met once a week for lunch and besides that we very seldom ate lunch in the dining room and the couple of breakfasts we had there the service was so bad that it was dissapointing.

The food in Horizen court was okay, The kids occasionally ate dinner there before going back to camp and it was often busy for dinner, crowded for lunches and breakfasts and also could not handle the crowds as we found having so many sea days people would eat breakfast and then sit and play cards or games at the tables while others were looking to still find a table for breakfast.

Verdi's was great, I only ate there twice as DH is a DR person and isn't crazy about pizza, the kids would go there and the head waiter would take care of them and was very happy to have them there as they reminded him of his kids back in the Phillephines, he was very friendly even if we were just walking thru.

There were only 8 kids onboard as well as the captains son so with 4 counsellors they all had a blast, the teenagers would go to HC after the younger kids left in the evening and hung out with the councellors. The kids got to do some great things which normally aren't included in the Fun Zone cause there were so few of them. I really worried about them being bored especially during those couple of 4 days at seas but they never once said they were bored and DS was up early every morning rearing to go. He also swam with the captain and his son in the evenings when the weather was good.

We got to go on a bridge tour after making a personal request to the captain, it was a blast and we got to sit in the C. chair, wear his cap and blast the horn and ring the bell, because the kids got on so well his wife invited us to see their cabins along with the captains quarters and office etc.

We went to some movies in the afternoons and tried to go to some shows but found the Princess Theatre could not accomodate the passengers and often they turned people away so we stopped going after a couple of times. Some of the lectures were really good and others were great topics but the presenters were really bad and hard to sit thru.

I often found the library full and 80% of the time the internet cafe was packed with people for the classes so you could not get near the computers, guess this stopped me from sitting on the internet while on vacation, we didn't even use 1/4 of our internet package.

Overall we had a great trip, enjoyed the itinarary and ports very much, we enjoyed the food selections, overall the service was good.

Please feel free to ask any ?? and I will do my best to answer.

Hello Julia, my husband & I sailed on the Sun Princess, April 27, 2006 out of FT Lauderdale back to Seattle , WA and thru the Panama. We found her beautifully kept up for her then 10 years and the service, food and entertainment was excellant. We had been on her sister ship, the Sea Princess back in 2002. We were mid ship on the Caribe and except for the room being small due to the balcony, we still had a wonderful cruise aboard the Sun Princess. My 1 question, did they not have shows in the Vista Lounge, as that is where we have seen majority of the shows.

Excellant review, enjoyed reading it.

We would love to do the Syndey to Los Angelas Cruise,

Gay

Hello Julia, my husband & I sailed on the Sun Princess, April 27, 2006 out of FT Lauderdale back to Seattle , WA and thru the Panama. We found her beautifully kept up for her then 10 years and the service, food and entertainment was excellant. We had been on her sister ship, the Sea Princess back in 2002. We were mid ship on the Caribe and except for the room being small due to the balcony, we still had a wonderful cruise aboard the Sun Princess. My 1 question, did they not have shows in the Vista Lounge, as that is where we have seen majority of the shows.

Excellant review, enjoyed reading it.

We would love to do the Syndey to Los Angelas Cruise,

Gay

They did have shows in the Vista lounge, we never went to many as we had dinner with friends nearly every night, I have the majority of the patters if you want more specific info on the shows they did have in the Vista.

Thank You Julie, I don't need any patters, was interested in your report on the shows and how crowded they were in the Theater. We have also sailed on the Brilliance of the Seas, April 2004 to the E Caribbean and think the Radiance Class of RCL are one of the most gorgeous ships. We will be sailing her sister ship to Hawaii next Oct for our Anniv. We love Princess for their friendly staff and wonderful service, and choose between RCL & Princess based upon itnerary and cost at time.

Gay GLea472968@aol.com

Dave if your referring to the Panama, it was Ft lauderdale, 2 days at sea, Aruba, Sea, Canal- Puerta Amador PM, Punterenas, Huatulco, Sea, Acapulco, 2 Sea Days, Cabo San Lucas, 2 Sea Days, San Francisco, Sea, Seattle, 17 Days.

2004 E Caribbean= Miami, 2 Sea Days, St Thomas, Sea, St John Antigua, St Lucia, Sea, St Maarten, Nassau, 2 Sea Days, Miami.

I showed both because I wasn't sure which cruise you were interested in.

Next Oct on the Radiance we are doing a 15 day Hawaii out of San Diego, liked this itnerary due to length of stays on Lahaina and Honolulu, + Sail by the Lava.

Gay Oct 11, 2008 Roll Call, Radiance of the Seas

Julia, thanks for your review! I really wanted to know your thoughts on the Sun Princess, as I know you closely followed my "Live From the Sun" posts last January. Sounds like your thoughts kind of echo my own (can't they make that theater LARGER??!?!?). And I was a bit worried that that ship might feel awfully small on those multiple days at sea in cooler weather. But it sounds like your kids were kept well entertained and had a special and unique relationship with the captain and his family. That's great, and something you'd be less likely to find on a shorter cruise. I'm glad it was a good experience for you. What was your favorite port? I'm guessing Bora Bora??:D Or Sydney, of course. Did you spend any time post cruise in Sydney?

Again, thanks for the review!!

Always stikes me funny when people comment on Sun (and her sisters) as being small.

When they were introduced to the fleet, they were considered HUGE at 77,000GRT.

I personally much prefer the Sun class to the Grand and modifed Grand class ships.

I must admit to being very jealous when I read that some were allowed to blow the ship's whistle (horn).

I've always wanted to do that, but whenever I have been on the bridge, the staff has guarded the button very carefully!

Love those horns (whistles). Makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I particulary like sailing from San Francisco - they give three blasts when backing away from Pier 35, and often give another blast when going under the Golden Gate Bridge, in salute to the pedestrians waving "bon voyage".

Michael, actually I don't consider them small, they are perfect for us, my only objection to the two older ships, is their balconies are part of the hull, making for a small cabin, compared to the Radiance Class ship , the Brilliance, which gives you the 179sq ft room, plus the 41 sq ft blacony. I would love to go on the Sapphire Princess. Even though the Sun/Sea Princess are 20,000 tons less then the Brilliance, they are both perfect in size for them and would not go on anything smaller. We like the 2200-2500 passenger range. Michael that was a treat, going under the bridge and waving to those on the bridge.

Dave your most welcome, it was a fascinating cruise. Our only stop was at Puerto Amado, we did not stop anywhere within the Canal during our transit. The traffic was heavy that day causing us to be late there.

Gay

Thank You Julie, I don't need any patters, was interested in your report on the shows and how crowded they were in the Theater. We have also sailed on the Brilliance of the Seas, April 2004 to the E Caribbean and think the Radiance Class of RCL are one of the most gorgeous ships. We will be sailing her sister ship to Hawaii next Oct for our Anniv. We love Princess for their friendly staff and wonderful service, and choose between RCL & Princess based upon itnerary and cost at time.

Gay GLea472968@aol.com

I don't think we went to any shows in Vista but a couple of the dance shows at 10pm where packed when tried to go to the 10pm show, the show just prior to leaving Hawaii was full more than an hour before, I stood at the back for that and then went to the ones leaving Tahiti and Raratonga really early to get seats.

I'm not sure if the earlier shows were as full as we were having dinner at that time.

Julia, thanks for your review! I really wanted to know your thoughts on the Sun Princess, as I know you closely followed my "Live From the Sun" posts last January. Sounds like your thoughts kind of echo my own (can't they make that theater LARGER??!?!?). And I was a bit worried that that ship might feel awfully small on those multiple days at sea in cooler weather. But it sounds like your kids were kept well entertained and had a special and unique relationship with the captain and his family. That's great, and something you'd be less likely to find on a shorter cruise. I'm glad it was a good experience for you. What was your favorite port? I'm guessing Bora Bora??:D Or Sydney, of course. Did you spend any time post cruise in Sydney?

Again, thanks for the review!!

Hard to choose a favorite but loved Bora Bora - about 25 of us from our RC did the snirkle with Stephane.

Loved Roratonga and again a group of us did the 4X4 and really enjoyed it.

I loved Dunedin, it is so peaceful, green and beautiful and I really enjoyed the tour at the Penninsulat and seeing the yellow eyed pengiuns - Cadbury tour was a total waste of $$ and very dissapointing.

We have never had that relationship with a Captain before and it was nice to experience it, both him and his wife were very nice to the kids and DS learn't a lot about the ship etc. It was also nice seeing him enjoy time with his 3 year old at the beach and pool and seeing a more personable side.

We never stayed in Sydney which is one of my favorite cities in the world as we were that for a land trip 2 years ago so flew up to Brisbane and spent a couple of days with Casscruise - they were also one the cruise.

Always stikes me funny when people comment on Sun (and her sisters) as being small.

When they were introduced to the fleet, they were considered HUGE at 77,000GRT.

I personally much prefer the Sun class to the Grand and modifed Grand class ships.

When I referred to her as small, it was comparing to the Grand and Diamond and I did find the walk from aft to front much shorter than the Diamond. Besides the aircon etc not handling the smoke and finding that an issue I really did enjoy the ship. It is a very easy ship to navigate.

I must admit to being very jealous when I read that some were allowed to blow the ship's whistle (horn).

I've always wanted to do that, but whenever I have been on the bridge, the staff has guarded the button very carefully!

Love those horns (whistles). Makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I particulary like sailing from San Francisco - they give three blasts when backing away from Pier 35, and often give another blast when going under the Golden Gate Bridge, in salute to the pedestrians waving "bon voyage".

It was fun, the Captain announced that they would be testing the horn and for no-one to get alarmed and then let us all at it, even the councellors hadn't been to the bridge before so they were also excited.

They offered us cookies and fruit and then the Captain and the watch guys all stood on the carpet with there legs open while the Captains 3 year old raced thru there legs with a car in both hands while the Captain held the flashlight and said 'red light - red light'.

They seemed to all enjoy the break from there endless chores and apparently he is up there often playing as his cabin is next door in the captains quaters.

We then got a tour of where they sleep and the Cap't office, which was full of toys etc too :)

It was an experience the kids will remember along with us old folks, we also got to wear the SUN Princess cap and when the cap't arrived his wife wipped his cap off and all the kids then got to wear the real one:D

When we were on the Sea Princess, our inaugeration to Cruising, a 10 Mex Riviera, we did a tour of the kitchen and that was very interesting. The waiters took the people from their tables in so we were in small groups depending on # who wanted to go. Twice now we have taken the backstage tour in the Princess Theater.

Gay Hawaii Roll Call Oct 11, 2008 Radiance of the Seas

Archived