Question for Bequia or Miami zoo experienced

kendallison

Hi Bequia! We will be getting off our ship in the port of Miami on a Saturday morning and have a 5:20 PM flight.

We were thinking of the Miami zoo for the day but not sure how far it is from the port or the airport (MIA). Could we just hop in a cab and go or would we really need to rent a car for this adventure? Would Parrot Jungle be closer/better?

We are 2 families of 4 adults and 4 kids.

Thanks!

Susan

The zoo is approx 17 miles from the port while you can see Parrot Jungle just to the north.

I don't think a taxi to the zoo is a great idea, and while you COULD get there on public transportation I think that may be a bit more of an adventure then you'd be up for.... (I used to live right outside the gate of the zoo....was there for Andrew's visit!) I'd recommend a rental to get there, you could either pick your way down US1 to see the sites, or take SR836 west to the Turnpike then the turnpike south and follow the signs, the zoo is just west of the turnpike @ SW 152 St, SR 992

http://www.miamidade.gov/parks/Parks/metrozoo.asp

The zoo is very nice, but there isn't all that much in the immediate area...you could head north on US1 to 'The Falls' shopping center, one on the venues for the Miami HoyToy, or east to the bay and the Deering Estate

Parrot Jungle is in its new location on Watson Island - after being knocked down at their original location south of Miami by "Andrew". You could take a taxi to PJ (but what to do with luggage?)

http://www.parrotjungle.com/

This google shot shows a cruise ship in the port, at Parrot Jungle just the other side of Government Cut

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=miami,+fl&ie=UTF8&ll=25.783083,-80.175047&spn=0.009236,0.014462&t=h&z=16&*****=1

With a 5:30 flight and a rental, there'd be the stress of navigating Miami .... I recommend PJ by taxi (or ship tour) 4 you.

Thanks for the reply. Actually I did call PJ and they said they could store my luggage at guest services. The admission price was a lot more which is why I was looking at the zoo. We can get in the zoo for free since we are zoo members at our local zoo. BUT... I do want to avoid a lot of hassle so PJ is still in consideration since it sounds much easier to get to.

BJ hit the nail on the head regarding the zoo. A wonderful venue.

Parrot Jungle on the other hand is a tourists nightmare. The admission prices are very high and forget about it if you want to eat there, the food and drink prices are though the roof. Your a captive audience and they certainly take advantage of that. The venue itself is nothing to write home about, your through it in an hour. The staff is quite indifferant as well. Only the Miami SeaAquarium is more depressing then Parrot Jungle.

Have you had the opportunity to see the Everglades up close? An airboat tour can't be beat and I know most cruiselines offer a pretty good package tour.

I thought about the everglades tour... the problem is 2 out of the 4 children that are in our group are very prone to motion sickness. They are fine on the large ships but can't handle small boats at all. Not sure about the airboat.

I day rate at a hotel on the beach would be ideal for us but I don't think such a thing exists.

Susan

Archived