Late Debarkation

Solida123

I know this is a common dilemma but we have a 2:30 p.m. flight out of FLL on date of debarkation . . . most people are in a hurry to get off ship and get to airport. We are not. What time must we absolutely positively be out of our stateroom? What is the latest (assuming no customs delays) that we could debark the ship? We don't really have time to bum around Ft. Lauderdale in a car and I'm not excited about the Everglades excursion, yet I've also read getting to airport that early won't work either as most airlines only accept bags 3 hours in advance. Any advice/experience on this?

There isn't an option for late disembarkation - even if you are the absolutely last person off the ship, you will most likely be off by 9:30/10:00. You need to get out of your cabin by 8:00 a.m. as your room steward has to completely clean it and get it ready for the incoming passengers.

Disembarkation/embarkation day is all about getting the ship turned around as quickly as they can for the next voyage. The sooner they can get everyone off, the better.

We were in the same situation last year in Ft. Lauderdale with a 4.30 flight. The hotel we overnighted in before joining the ship (Bahia Mar) was nice enough to allow us to keep our luggage with them - no charge - on disembarkation day. That allowed us several hours to just relax on the beach strip before heading out to the airport. You might ask the hotel you're staying at the night before joining the ship if they'd be willing to do that for you.

On my british isles cruise last summer I was in no hurry at all to leave the ship - I was going to London for a week and my driver was't picking us up until 10:30am.

We were out of the cabin at 8:30am and went to the dining room for a long breakfast... by 10am the waiters were glaring at us to leave... we were the last 2 people out of there. :)

I know this is a common dilemma but we have a 2:30 p.m. flight out of FLL on date of debarkation . . . most people are in a hurry to get off ship and get to airport. We are not. What time must we absolutely positively be out of our stateroom? What is the latest (assuming no customs delays) that we could debark the ship? We don't really have time to bum around Ft. Lauderdale in a car and I'm not excited about the Everglades excursion, yet I've also read getting to airport that early won't work either as most airlines only accept bags 3 hours in advance. Any advice/experience on this?
Do what we do.

• Party hearty the night before - enjoy every last second on board that you can.
  • Go to the main dining room for breakfast, and relax and enjoy it.
  • If your number hasn't been called, find a nice seat in a lounge somewhere (we get this as a Platinum perk)
  • Relax while exiting the ship and claiming your luggage - it's not like you are in a hurry.
  • Check in at the airport. We've never run in to the 3 hour thing for bags (and hope we don't).
  • Find a quiet boarding area, stretch out and sleep and/or read. (remember you didn't get much sleep after step 1) :D
  • Check out the shops and have a relaxing lunch
  • Wake up and realize you only have seconds to board your flight :eek:

The biggest thing to do, though is to enjoy your cruise so much that you don't feel like doing much more than sleeping in an airport. :)

... oh, and don't forget to set your watch/cell phone alarm so you'll wake for the flight.

We stayed on board pretty much until the bitter end once, when we were doing a back-to-back but going on different ships. The ship gets really spooky around 10 AM because all you hear are vacuum cleaners and the occasional announcement that any remaining passengers need to disembark immediately.

Archived