Christmas Market Cruise 2008 - Which Company?

fred111

I know this has been asked hundreds of times but........

My wife and I want to take a river cruise in Europe Nov or Dec 2008 to see the Chrismas markets. My wife want to go shopping, I'll be tasing the beer. What company and itinerary can anyone recommend. Thanks a lot.

We cruised on the Uniworld River Empress, Prague (Nuremberg) - Vienna, in December 2005. It was wonderful and hope to do it again. We really enjoyed the Christmas markets and other things in the towns along the Danube. The ship was festively decorated, there were activities associated with the holiday season, and we were always welcomed back aboard with either Gluhwein (yummm) or hot tea. We highly recommend it.

I´d also recommend an itinerary including Nuremberg, Salzburg and Vienna. Nuremberg has the oldest Christmas market in the world. And the tradition of Christmas markets is something which developped in the Southern parts of Germany and Austria.

I know that there are also Christmas market cruises offered on the Rhine river but IMHO that´s more a copy thing than the real stuff.

steamboats

We are doing the Rhine River Christmas Markets.We leave in three weeks.Although the Danube is the oldest of the Christmas Markets we were told the scenery along the Rhine is more beautiful.I hope we made the right choice.

emmy

We are leaving on the 27th of November on our second Christmas Markets tiver cruise with Uniworld. The first one was in 2002 shortly after the "big" flood and we were bussed to many of the towns. We thought that Uniworld did a good job of "punting" at the last monment.

This year we are doing the Vienna to Nuremburg trip. I will post a review when we get home.

I was originally thinking of taking our first river cruise in September or October. Rethinking now of taking it in December to enjoy the holiday season. Thinking of the Amsterdam to Paris on Amadeus or Avalon. I'd take any input from folks that have taken this cruise in the past. Thanks!

Grand Circle sent out an email this morning for $600 off the Munich to Vienna trip. $1195 which includes airfare out of a few major east coast cities for Nov 22 departure (next week!) $1395 for Dec 12, 14, 15 departures. If only I could take off so quickly, I would totally be out of here!

I know this has been asked hundreds of times but........

My wife and I want to take a river cruise in Europe Nov or Dec 2008 to see the Chrismas markets. My wife want to go shopping, I'll be tasing the beer. What company and itinerary can anyone recommend. Thanks a lot.

Hi Cool Cruiser:

My DH and I leave Los Angeles 2 weeks from today for an overnight to Prague, arriving 11-30-07. After two nights in Prague, we board the Amadeus Amalegro for a 7 night cruise along the Danube, visiting Christmas Markets along the way. This will be out first river cruise, and first visit to the countries we will be visiting.

I've read with interest several of the postings about Christmas Markets in general, and Amadeus Waterways in particular. Once we get back (or if the internet is still free aboard the Amalegro, like it was for Wit), I'll write about our experience. I've been checking the weather daily for Prague, Budapest, and Vienna...looks like highs in the 30's!! Yippee!! I'm hoping for a "White Christmas" Cruise. (It's hard to think about packing the sweaters, mittens, etc. when it's 93 degrees here and I'm in shorts and a t-shirt).

Gr'aunt

Gr´aunt,

Currently we do have quite an amount of snow here in Munich which is totally unusual for this time of the year. Usually there isn´t any snow in November and December. Main snow season is beginning end of December / January.

steamboats

We will be leaving on 12/11 on the Amadeus Princess and were wondering how close the ship will dock to the markets? We will be stopping at Wurzburg, Regensburg, Rothenburg, Nuremburg, Passau, and Vienna.

Also, what is the dress code at dinner? And at the Captains Reception? Just trying to figure out what to pack (or what not to pack!)

Any other special hints?

Any ideas for purchases? Like what specialty items at different ports?(besides the Glehwein Mugs - I've got them on my list)

What you could have done without or wish you would have brought?!?

Thanks so much!

Gr´aunt,

Currently we do have quite an amount of snow here in Munich which is totally unusual for this time of the year. Usually there isn´t any snow in November and December. Main snow season is beginning end of December / January.

steamboats

Thanks Steamboats...you just made my day!! Do you think we will need down jackets, or will light windbreaker-type jackets layered over sweaters be ok? and should I throw some long undies in the suitcase?

gr'aunt

Thanks Steamboats...you just made my day!! Do you think we will need down jackets' date=' or will light windbreaker-type jackets layered over sweaters be ok? and should I throw some long undies in the suitcase?

gr'aunt[/quote']

When we went 2 years ago, temps were in the low 40's during the day for the most part. There were two days that were in the 20's and it was really cold. No snow for us though. IMO a windbreaker wouldn't be warm enough for me, but then I live in the desert!

gr´aunt,

I agree with AZPam. A windbreaker with sweaters might not be enough unless it´s a windbreaker with a fleece jacket you can zip off (and the sweaters). Long undies won´t be a bad idea. Gloves and a hat are helpful too.

It´s cold right now (mid 20ies) but the forecast is up to 50ies for the rest of the week. So snow will be melting away again. But there will be still much left in the mountains.

Check weather.com and their 10 day forecast prior to your departure. And then decide what to pack.

steamboats

I love cold weather, but we had a couple of days that were wet and windy and I was very happy that I brought the long johns (I only wear the bottoms). Definitely needed the gloves/scarf/ear muffs too. Didn't have snow until just a dusting on the last day.

Well, we did it. Just booked the 29 Nov 2008 Grand Danube Christmas Market cruise on Uniworld's River Duchess. It goes from Budapest to Regensburg. Thanks everyone for all the great information. Now we just need to decide where we will go for a few days before and after the cruise.

Well, we did it. Just booked the 29 Nov 2008 Grand Danube Christmas Market cruise on Uniworld's River Duchess. It goes from Budapest to Regensburg. Thanks everyone for all the great information. Now we just need to decide where we will go for a few days before and after the cruise.

Congratulations! Now you have an entire year to read the blogs and check out the web links. There is alot of good advice on this site. And two resident experts, steamboats and Blu*Donau (both live in Germany), are a wealth of information.

gr'aunt aka Debra

Archived