Tipping?

heychadwick

Hello,

This is my 2nd cruise, but first time booking private tours. We have a number of tours that we are going to at different ports in the Eastern Carrib. Do we tip?

St Thomas = catamaran tour of 22 or so people (that we are only 2). Cost includes food and drink.

Dominica = private tour with guide/owner of company.

Barbados = another catamaran tour that is all inclusive.

St Lucia = volcano and beach tour. We are but 2 of a number of folk.

Do we tip any of these folks? I figure that the two catamaran tours wouldn't need it, but I can see that perhaps we need to tip the driver or someone on the volcano/beach tour. What about the private tour with the tourguide in Dominica. I would figure that the whole price of the tour covers the tip. Correct?

The catamaran crews will DEFINITELY be expecting a tip from all passengers. The captain will not. I usually tip $5 a person for a half day trip... more if it's a full day trip.

If you take a tour that includes a bus driver and a tour guide, the will both expect a tip. I tip the same as the tours on water... about $5 a person. This I give to the tour guide, telling him/her that it is for both of them (guide and driver). Usually the guide will stand by the door of the bus as you're leaving and will accept your tips then... it's been my experience that the tips are always split with the driver.

Unless it specifically says in writing that tips are included in the price of a tour, they are NOT. The only time I've ever seen tips included in a tour is a ship's excursion through Crystal. They took care of everything. :)

They do expect tips. I just had a neighbor go through a private excursion (can't remember where in the caribbean). After their fishing, the crew would not dock until the tip jar had enough money in it. Never thought of being held hostage like that....

Archived