Cunard fuel surcharge

Cunard Cruiser

The final payment for my March cruise is due Dec 14th, am I to assume that I will get another invoice listiing the extra charge?

The post indicates a per person charge , now I hate to give any one at Cunard ideas, but as a solo passenger I wonder is they will increase my charge by 80% as they do on the cabin .

Oh well I assume I will just have to wait and see.

I came home tonight to find an email from my travel agent announcing Cunard's fuel surcharge. Apparently even if you pay in full and your cruise is after February 1, Cunard will still charge you for the fuel surcharge.:( So they are going to get everyone who departs after this date!

That's all I know. Cunard's website hasn't posted anything on the subject so we're only getting what's in the media and what's coming directly from the TAs.

David

I read somewhere that Princess is capping the charge to $70/cabin. Any word if this is the case for Cunard too?

The fuel surcharge has been instituted by Carnival Corporation, the parent company of Cunard and Princess. et. al. And yes, it is capped across all lines at $70 PER PERSON.

Singles pay $5.00 per day regardless of the single supplement for their particular cabin category to a max of $70.

If you have already paid your cruise in full and are sailing Feb 1 onward, you will be reinvoiced the fuel surcharge.

This really isn't surprising, and it isn't new. My parents paid a fuel surcharge during the oil embargo (in the 70's?). And FedEx and UPS air services have had a fuel surcharge attached to their pricing for quite a while now.

Fuel is a big part of the cost of running a cruise line. If a cruise is priced a year and a half ahead of sailing time, a lot can happen in the world markets in those 18 months. I'm surprised the surcharge hasn't shown up before now.

Kathy

According to a post on the Princess board the fuel charge doesn't apply to UK customers

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=659183

this has a link to a Daily Telegraph article which includes

However, David Dingle, the UK managing director of Carnival, said that, despite the price of oil approaching $100 dollars a barrel, these charges will not be levied on British customers.

Karen

By the way, something to watch out for, if you are expecting to pay a surcharge, some on the Carnival board are reporting their notifications are coming by email, and due to the address are automatically going into their spam folders! Might just be the Carnival line emails, but best to be aware

Sending out what looks like a junk address is not the smartest way to get the message out. I suspect many people won't get it because of this. I mean, unless you already knew about it, a title like "IMPORTANT NOTICE - Cruise Fuel Supplement" sounds like any other spam, especially since the sender shows as "IRBFAXFUELIAG".

(http://boards.cruisecritic.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=12328907)

(just how that ties up with 'don't open mail from someone you don't know' I don't know:rolleyes: )

Karen

Let me be the first to say I have no idea why British passengers are exempt. The idea that they seemingly pay more that US passengers has not convinced me. Prices are not static all over the world for anything. Nor is the minimum wage, or average yearly income. Perhaps someone can convince me that American passengers should be singled out here.

Let me be the first to say I have no idea why British passengers are exempt. The idea that they seemingly pay more that US passengers has not convinced me. Prices are not static all over the world for anything. Nor is the minimum wage, or average yearly income. Perhaps someone can convince me that American passengers should be singled out here.

Because you pay less for petrol?

I can't think of a decent reason, but the above might cheer some of you up. It's over £1/litre now here. That's about $2.15/litre.

Matthew

Because you pay less for petrol?

I can't think of a decent reason, but the above might cheer some of you up. It's over £1/litre now here. That's about $2.15/litre.

Matthew

Which is roughly $8.14/gallon. Do you have any idea what would happen to the masses here in this country if gasoline was $8.14/gal for regular tomorrow morning? Goddessofgoodtimes for one would would be out of business.

Paul

Two reasons: -

1. Prices for the same cruise in the Cunard UK brochures are higher than in the US brochures - so we are already paying more than our cousins across the pond
  2. When the prices for the UK brochures were fixed by Cunard some considerable time ago, the $/£ commercial exchange rate was less than 2.00. When we pay for our cruise next February (in £UK), the $/£ exchange rate will probably be touching 2.10. This means that Cunard will effectively be getting around 5% more from us (in USD) than they had originally expected to collect.

Regards,

David

I understand prices are higher in the UK than in the US. I think it is that way for most everything. My wife is from Sweden, and when I pay the equivalent of double to say, go see a movie, I don't expect popcorn is included. Just like in Canada, when we pay $8000 more that US citizens for an identical car when our dollar is worth more than a theirs, we don't expect three years worth of free petrol. So, prices are never the same all over the world, so again, why do the Brits get comped?

I understand prices are higher in the UK than in the US. I think it is that way for most everything. My wife is from Sweden, and when I pay the equivalent of double to say, go see a movie, I don't expect popcorn is included. Just like in Canada, when we pay $8000 more that US citizens for an identical car when our dollar is worth more than a theirs, we don't expect three years worth of free petrol. So, prices are never the same all over the world, so again, why do the Brits get comped?

I think there was some mention somewhere of European brands having already been fuel surcharged.

May that be a reason?

Or is it that we're just really cuddly?

Matthew

I happen to think the surcharge is really just a disguise to fund a DVD collection for the QM2. Passengers will be able to 'rent' various titles and enjoy them in their cabin, including D level.

Here is a list of the recently started FAQ:

Q. Do you have to get up before dawn to get any good ones?

A. There wont be any good ones, so go ahead and sleep in

Q. Do you keep them one night or more?

A. You can keep them for one night, after which late fees will apply. You will not be able to disembark without paying your late fees.

Q. I'm wondering whether to bring my Netflix?

A. NO OUTSIDE FOOD OR DRINK (THIS INCLUDES DVDs)

Other reasons.

When a UK passenger pays a deposit on a booking, that is exactly what it is. There is no refund if we decide not to pay by the due date, we lose it.

We were paying roughly 10% more for a voyage (without flights) when the exchange rate was $1.85/£1.

The exchange rate has now moved to $2.10/£1 meaning an even bigger differential.

Oil is priced in $. Therefore, the exchange rate change has more than paid the $5 a day that US passengers are paying.

Archived