TSA locks

Kindlychap

I know I'm supposed to use these for the flight home in January, after the WCC TA.

Something in me really objects to the INS telling me what I can and cannot lock my case with. Especially as I have no real option but to do as I'm told.

So I'd like to have locks that aren't made in the USA. I'm not unduly bothered where they are made, as long as they are non USA. Actually, any country who isn't involved in Iraq would be good - French ideal I suppose!

Can anyone help me in my small effort to object to the lunatic security that we all suffer from?

Matthew

What's the objection to TSA approved locks? The reason why these locks are suggested is that TSA personnel have a special key which when placed in the hole in the bottom of the lock will spring it. Should your luggage be subject to inspection, it allows the TSA personnel to open the lock without destroying it. Therefore, after inspection, the inspector is able to relock your luggage. Without a TSA lock, should your luggage be subject to inspection, they will take a bolt cutter to the lock in order to gain access to the luggage. Afterward, the lock is useless and your baggage will be processed by any number of handlers without it being locked.

As for where the locks are made, look on the packaging. It should state where they were manufactured.

Lunatic security? I don't know if I agree with the use of your provocative language, but unfortunately, the need for extra security measures is a result of the world in which we live. Figure out a way of neutralizing the "lunatic fringe" and we could do away with the "lunatic" security.

Dave of ...

What's the objection to TSA approved locks?

Because I object to the way that the whole world is dancing to the tune of Bush's paranoia.

The reason why these locks are suggested is that TSA personnel have a special key which when placed in the hole in the bottom of the lock will spring it. Should your luggage be subject to inspection, it allows the TSA personnel to open the lock without destroying it. Therefore, after inspection, the inspector is able to relock your luggage. Without a TSA lock, should your luggage be subject to inspection, they will take a bolt cutter to the lock in order to gain access to the luggage. Afterward, the lock is useless and your baggage will be processed by any number of handlers without it being locked.

If it is such a wonderful idea, why doesn't everyone do it, using the same key?

As for where the locks are made, look on the packaging. It should state where they were manufactured.

I'd rather find out before I arrived at the shop - otherwise I might have a lot of journeys.

Lunatic security? I don't know if I agree with the use of your provocative language, but unfortunately, the need for extra security measures is a result of the world in which we live. Figure out a way of neutralizing the "lunatic fringe" and we could do away with the "lunatic" security.

The main need for the extra security (if you accept that it is needed anyway) is because America (in particular) and Britain (and others) are spending so much time meddling in other nations affairs.

Why do you think that America is hated so much in so much in the world? It isn't just McDonalds you know!

Matthew

I believe our TSA locks are actually made in China! I know that doesn't help much... I agree with you entirely, Matthew. Most, if not all, these measures give the appearance of security. I'm not at all convinced they actually do anything to increase security. More feel-good b.s. for the public. (Baaaaaa!)

Another issue with TSA locks is that while they take your lock off, they do not always put your lock back on. I have a "new" lock that does not fit our original key. They put the same key code lock on for us on one trip, but on the next, we got another lock that does not match our key and I think I will need bolt cutters to get this lock off - or I will have to find a TSA lock with the same code.

Anyone got a spare key for an 005 lying around? :rolleyes:

I believe our TSA locks are actually made in China! I know that doesn't help much... I agree with you entirely, Matthew. Most, if not all, these measures give the appearance of security. I'm not at all convinced they actually do anything to increase security. More feel-good b.s. for the public. (Baaaaaa!)

Another issue with TSA locks is that while they take your lock off, they do not always put your lock back on. I have a "new" lock that does not fit our original key. They put the same key code lock on for us on one trip, but on the next, we got another lock that does not match our key and I think I will need bolt cutters to get this lock off - or I will have to find a TSA lock with the same code.

Anyone got a spare key for an 005 lying around? :rolleyes:

Hello,

why are you called scrumpy? In England, especially our area (west country) this means rough cider.

please let us know

Sharon

Hello,

why are you called scrumpy? In England, especially our area (west country) this means rough cider.

please let us know

Sharon

We have a winner! Scrumpy Jack is my favorite cider - also the name of the black horse in my avatar.

Susan

If you don't want to use TSA locks, then use cable ties. That way your bag won't be damaged when they cut off the non-approved lock.

They no longer replace the cable ties once they are cut off. We used them for a while but stopped when they would cut the tie without replacing it. With the potential for theft by baggage handles, the new rules have only made it easier for them to steal... IMHO, of course.

we found TSA locks to be a complete waste of time. ours were removed from our luggage on our last trip through the States and not returned, not particularly helpful when our luggage got delayed in Miami and went via JFK back to the UK!! luckily, nothing was stolen.

Just curious, not being anti-American, it's too early in the day, but why do American airports employ thieves as baggage handlers? I've noticed elsewhere in the world where I've travelled (mainly Europe) that relatively few bags are locked, and I've never heard of anyone having anything stolen. Broken, yes, but not stolen. Why don't you sack those ones, and employ normal people, then you wouldn't need locks?

Just a thought.

xxxxx

Just curious, not being anti-American, it's too early in the day, but why do American airports employ thieves as baggage handlers? I've noticed elsewhere in the world where I've travelled (mainly Europe) that relatively few bags are locked, and I've never heard of anyone having anything stolen. Broken, yes, but not stolen. Why don't you sack those ones, and employ normal people, then you wouldn't need locks?

Just a thought.

xxxxx

They could have the ones based at Thiefrow for a start....

Sir M

Didnt Thiefrow have such a repuatation at one stage? Maybe it still has such a name?

Quite how people can fly with the very low luggage allowance these days and more so on a cruise is beyond me, l did once try a fly cruise in 2005 only for a week and l was 30kilos before l left, Had it not been for a charming:rolleyes: young man on checkin on the return flight l would have been hit with excess baggage.

In the days of Dan Air l did once fly to London some 20 years ago it was £75 fare and my excess baggage was just over £100.

To travel light is a dream for me

Can anyone help me in my small effort to object to the lunatic security that we all suffer from?

Matthew

I'd like to know why a physical search of randomly selected piece of baggage is necessary in the first place? ALL baggage should be carefully x-rayed at the airport before being put on a flight. I find it hard to belive that an inspector is going to visually detect something 'suspicious' that could not be seen by x-ray in the first place.

I had two pieces open lasted week.... both combination locks cut off. I guess a dozen of lead tube of artist's paint and a few paint brushes looked suspect on the x-ray.

Stephen

Thiefrow for a start

I've got to agree with the cat. I've had luggage disappear from there. I've even had them try to take things at the security screening point! It was a long time ago - when I used to live down that way but I believe the reputation is still there.

I'd like to know why a physical search of randomly selected piece of baggage is necessary in the first place? ALL baggage should be carefully x-rayed at the airport before being put on a flight. I find it hard to belive that an inspector is going to visually detect something 'suspicious' that could not be seen by x-ray in the first place.

I had two pieces open lasted week.... both combination locks cut off. I guess a dozen of lead tube of artist's paint and a few paint brushes looked suspect on the x-ray.

Stephen

It's when they can't identify items on the Xray screen they pull the cases for inspection. Also, late ticket changes or one-way tickets also red flag cases.. especially the one way tickets.

I just have never bothered with locks in the first place. Anything of value is either on my person.... or in my carryon. If some poor slob wants my clothing that bad, he/she can have it.

The TSA is a total nonsense when American Carriers routinely send bags unaccompanied. I can't tell you how greatly this practice irritates me. It is stupid beyond belief, did they learn nothing from Lockerbie? In the UK and Europe we have a practice called triple A and that is why you will sometimes sit and wait for bags to be found and offloaded from your flight. If their is no passenger then the bags don't go. In the US they just send them anyway!:eek: Also, the liquids nonsense, only 100ml in a 1litre size bag! Lunancy! Anyone who has read the science behind the proposed method of attack will soon realise that the suggested plot cannot be carried out without somone noticing due to the quantities (I am talking gallons here) required and the time and quite how stopping people taking more than one piece of handluggage is helping? Well, it's rubbish, it's just quicker to screen one bag per person = less staff needed = more profit for the airport operators. The airports and DFT are so far into each others pockerts they couldn't see out if they tried! Grr! I'll get off my soapbox now, but this subject is very close to my heart as it's my industry it is eroding.

Heathrow is a shambles, it's not so much Theifrow now, but put it this way, we won't be flying out of there in January. Which is a shame because the flight times are so much better than out of Manchester, but I would like my luggage thanks.

I assume that they have a way round the combination locks on Samsonite cases? I have never had the lock broken on mine.

(Before last years TA, I did forget the number and had to manually go through the 1000 possible combinations to find it :rolleyes: )

Matthew

I must say the main reason I am reluctant ever to do another transatlantic crossing is irritation at the paranoia of US immigration and its requirements. Sorry, cousins. Admittedly, I don't like flying either.

I must say the main reason I am reluctant ever to do another transatlantic crossing is irritation at the paranoia of US immigration and its requirements.

A reason frequently cited over here for the reduction in UK tourists to the US this year, despite the excellent exchange rate, is the appalling treatment meted out by US immigration officials.

Mary

I assume that they have a way round the combination locks on Samsonite cases? I have never had the lock broken on mine.

(Before last years TA, I did forget the number and had to manually go through the 1000 possible combinations to find it :rolleyes: )

Pity you didn't try the number 1000 first then. Would have saved you a lot of time.

:D

sorry

Archived