Just returned from Far east on Costa Allegra ... any questions ?

DolceVita57

We were on the 8 Dec sailing. We had an early flight home (11 am) and that went very well. We could keep the luggage in the cabin and when we were ready to go we just called the reception and they send somebody over to carry the luggage down (not through the shopping mall, there is a shorter way) and directly to the taxi. Perfect. Only downside was that there was nothing to eat for us. The buffet was almost ready but we were denied access as it would 'start at 07.00' and it was only 06.30. So we had breakfast at the airport.

We took ships excursions in all the ports as that was easier for my mother (83 yrs old). So is you have any questions, let me hear. There were shuttle busses in all the ports, but they didn't advertise them much. There were no fact sheets about shops or taxis etc. as on onther ships. Maybe that will improve in time as the excursion staff was new to this area. One extremely helpful boy was there for his very first cruise. But he did his very best to find out things for us.

Wanda

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Dolcevita57

We are cruising from Singapore (14 day) on April 5 2008. Have a few questions if you can help.

Worried about tipping>Is an automatic daily gratitude added to your account?

Is there an additional charge at the Pizzeria and coffee station?

Will my husband need a jacket and tie for gala nights?

What was the average price for a bottle of wine? Do they have happy hours?

If we are on the last sitting for dining will we miss out on the entertainment? Do we get to choose which sitting?

Is there any internet access on board?

Thank again.

Hi Dolcevita57

We are cruising from Singapore (14 day) on April 5 2008. Have a few questions if you can help.

Worried about tipping>Is an automatic daily gratitude added to your account?

Is there an additional charge at the Pizzeria and coffee station?

Will my husband need a jacket and tie for gala nights?

What was the average price for a bottle of wine? Do they have happy hours?

If we are on the last sitting for dining will we miss out on the entertainment? Do we get to choose which sitting?

Is there any internet access on board?

Thank again.

G'day Jancy,

I have not been on the Allegra in the Far East but most of your questions apply to Costa cruises in general:

Tipping / Service Charge, is automatically added to your on board account at soem much per person per day. If you want too, you can always give your cabin steward, table waiters an extra personal tip if you get good service (this is totally voluntary).

Pizzeria /Coffee stations are all free and as much as you can eat.:rolleyes:

Gala / formal nights, most men have a suit or jacket / trouses and tie, dinner jackets and tuxedoa are in the minority.

Wine starts at about Euro 20 / US $ 20 a bottle. There are wine packages that can be bought before or on board about Euro 110 for 6 bottlesof wine and 10 bottles of mineral water. There is also the X1 drinks by the glass package (this has to be bought before the cruises starts via Costa or your TA), this includes wine, beer and soda during the time that the biffet and dining room are open. There is no happy hour (on a cruise every hous id happy) but there is a daily Cocktail / Long Drink at Euro 4.50 or Xl size at Euro 5.50.

The evening shows are always performed twice, so for the late sitting you will see the show before dinner and the first sitting will see the show after dinner.

Internet Cafe is on board but it is a very slow connection and is expensive at 50 cents a minute. I always love my cruises, NO INTERNET, NO MOBILE PHONES, just to get away from the daily hassle.

Have you taken alook at the Costa Australian / Asian web site and lot of useful information there:

http://www.costacruisesasia.com/B2C/PAO/Default.htm

Have a great cruise, and we'll expect a complete review of your trip.:eek:

Ron

Hi Blu*Donau,

Just read your answer re drinks on Costa Allegra. We too are going on a 14 day South China Sea cruise, boarding at Singapore on 8 March, 2008, and have been trying for ages to get a handle on the drink prices.

You state that wine starts @ Euro 20/ US$20 a bottle. Converted to Australian $'s this is approx., AUD$34/ or AUD$22, a big difference, which one is correct?

Also was the X1 package actually available on your cruise? We emailed Costa about this package and were told: "We do not offer X 1 (Wine & Beer) Package on this sailing deta, please kindly order other package on board."

Do you, or anyone else who has been on one of these cruises recently know what other package is avaiable?

From all I have read it would appear that the drinks on board are very expensive compared to other lines, so we might be going thirsty???

Also in regard to Sanya, is it true that you can get a shuttle bus ticket to town from portside which includes the cost of the visa? Does anyone know the price of this?

Thank you and happy cruising...

Thisty1.

Thirsty1,

The Euro price was for European cruises and the US $ for Caribbean cruises, there is always a big difference in the prices between the two areas. At lunch/dinner wine can also be ordered by the glass.

The X1 package was available on our last cruise (Costa Mediterranea - Caribeean and Transatlantic), although I had never heard if it before that cruises - Costa does not advertise it on their web sites.

Costa is famous - world wide - it not being very helpful in email responses. If I was you I would phone Costa Customer Service and ask about the X1 package.

Sorry that I cannot answer your specific question about the cruises - you should get more responsible soon.

I have taken my own booze on board several times (luggage and carry-on) and never been stopped, even if you are stopped it may be taken and returned to you at the end of the cruise (it is never confiscated).

Have a good cruise.

Ron

Thanks Misstulip.

I have just cancelled our Sanya tour and will now get the shuttle bus in Sanya, as we prefer to do our own thing.( Much cheaper too:) ).

Do you have any information on the drink prices on these cruises aboard Costa Allegra? Or whether there is in fact some sort of drink package available??

I like a drink on a hot day but don't enjoy it if I have to pay too much:( .

I have been reading all the posts on these Far East Cruises and have gained a lot of useful information from you and others for our up-coming cruise.

Also, do you remember what the nationality mix was on your cruise?

Thanks again,

John.

I had enquired from costa as I am going on the 12th of April This is the reply I got

"In regards to your dress code there will be 4 formal evening onboard this cruise inwhich we do recommend a cocktail dress for the ladys and a dinner jacket for the gentle men but you can also just wear a dark shirt and tie. I do apologies you are not able to pre book any drinks packages but you can make request onbaord the cruise ship and it will be dependant on the stock availability "

Hope this helps

Can anyone who has been confirm - Does anyone actually wear the formal

I dont want to carry a Kilt and all the trappings half way round the world for Nothing?

any help would be appreciated

Jim

Hello,

We had 3 formal nights during our cruise. Most people were wearing formal dress, but not everybody. Unfortunately I also saw a lot of jeans and sweaters. However, it was getting better with every formal night. Maybe people bought things during the cruise? Must have been on land though, as there was nothing to buy in the shop on board (only watches, jewelery and perfume), although there was a tailor on board (with nice things).

I remember a wine package and a water package, but cannot remember the prices.

Drinks are fairly expensive as they use euro on board. It is dollar prices with a euro sign. So if you would pay 3 dollars, you now pay 3 euro.

Glass of wine € 4,50, cocktail of the day € 4,75, cappucino coffee € 1,95, port € 4,50, soft drink € 2,50, 1/2 ltr mineral water € 1,35, pina colada € 6,-, big bottle water € 2,10, liqueur € 4,50. No idea about the price for beer.

Coffee from the coffee stand is free. For special coffees like cappucino or espresso you have to pay. If you want coffee after dinner in the dining room, you will specifically have to ask for it. It is not served automatically.

Visa for Brunei (only for citizens of Argentina, Australia, Brasil, China, Hong Kong, Ireland, Israel, Mexico, Romania, Russia and South Africa) € 10,-.

Visa for Vietnam (for everybody) € 4,50 (one visa for both ports).

We were given a photocopy of our passports to take ashore, together with our ship pass. Only in Singapore we had to take our original passports.

We had approx 500 British, 100 German, 100 Italian and the rest a mix of Australian, American, Belgian, Dutch, Spanish and Asian. Daily program was available in several languages and all announcements were made in at least 4 languages.

Most people embarked in Hong Kong, but also some in Singapore.

Wanda

• 3 weeks later...

I am on the Allegra twice this year. The 14 night Hong Kong round trip (which I will be having my birthday on board for first time) and then again on the Shanghai round trip for a week in October.

I cannot wait to go...its a part of the world that I have always wanted to explore but thought it would be out of my financial reach, but I am lucky to have a great TA who got me a superb deal on a single cabin :)

In 2009 I am taking Classica from Dubai to Singapore...my TA got the last single cabin 4 days after the cruise was released :eek:

• 1 month later...

Hi DL We are going in may on the Alegra i have done a lot of research on the ship. I have also done a lot of cruising so i have a good idea of what is required. What we would like to know are you allowed to take your own duty free alcahol into your cabin and can you take any that you buy from the supermarkets on shore also. I believe a lot of the cruise liners dont allow you to.Would be grateful for any info you can give us. mcmobris

Hi.

We returned 2 weeks ago from this cruise. We embarked at Singapore and took on board bottle of scotch and brandy along with about 9 stubbies of beer and some coke in both our checked and carry-on luggage. We were a bit worried but there was no problem.

Next day at a welcome for english speaking passengers we were informed that whilst it was Costa's written policy not to allow alcohol on the rule was never enforced and that it would be Ok to bring any amount on board during the cruise, which we did without any queries or problems.,

At the prices they charge no wonder they don't try to enforce it.

Have a great cruise,

John

Thank you very much John for the info you provided ref taking alcohol on board. On your info we will try our luck, as hubby likes to try beers from all destinations we go to, do they supply you with ice in your cabin if you ask for it. All the other cruise lines we have been on do. The cabin boy have looked after us. thanks monica and brian

Hi.

Yes, you will find an ice bucket in your cabin which is filled with ice each day when they make up your room. If you require more or if it melts just ask the cabin steward who will have it refilled.

We were on deck 7, 30 paces from the poolside bar and when required I just took our ice bucket to them to refill. There is also an ice & water machine in the Yacht Club, Deck 7, aft.

Any other info you need just ask, OK?

Have a good one.

John.

Hi John

Thank you for all your info it is a great help. We may need our duty free alcohol with the price they are charging. We may come back tetollers but what are holidays for. We will let you know how it was, we are practically neighbours we are from CoffsHarbour.

Thank you Monica & Brian

Please do not assume that Costa will turn a blind eye to alcohol taken on board.We have returned from 4 back to back in the Carribean on the Atlantica during the whole of February and I must say that they were confiscating Alcohol at some of the ports and it was returned as passengers left.

My wife and I have booked a cruise on the Allegra for 2009. We chose the cruise purely for the itinerary. However, after reading many reviews it became clear that over charging for drinks is an issue for quite a few people. Realistically, most people expect to pay a few pennies more on holiday, what people do not expect is being ‘ripped off’.

As a Brit, the exchange rate with the Euro is not very good at the moment, nor is it good for our American friends. It amazes me how on some cruises Costa work with the US Dollar and others it is the Euro.

I emailed Costa about the charges and it sent me a tariff for the minibar, which is very limited (prices in Euros for 2008):

Prosecco 20cl 5.50, Cognac VSOP 5cl 6.50, Whisky, Gin, Vodka and Rum 5cl 5.50; Soft Drinks (no measure given) 2.60, Red Bull 3.50, Beer-Carlsberg (no measure given) 4.50, Mineral Water 1 litre 2.50, Mineral Water ½ litre 1.40. Snacks, whatever they maybe, 2.75. Red Wine: Chianti Rocca delle Macie 75cl 20.00, 38cl 10.00. White Wine: Souve Pasqua 75cl 18.00, 38cl 9.50. And that’s it, not an extensive list.

I’m sure if enough people contact Costa, especially the Brits and our North American friends, raising their concerns, then maybe if Costa wish to use the Americans and Brits to fill up their cruises as ‘make-weights’, then surely the company needs to review its policy.

By the way, does anyone know whether it is possible to withdraw from the automatic tipping, sorry, service charge on Costa Allegra, I don’t seem to get a consistent response.

I hope this helps and please don’t let the over-charging spoil your cruise.;)

we are going or should i say may be going on the far east cruise on the allegra in june,however with oasis going bust they do not know what is happening as yet,are you booked with them?i cannot see us being transferred to cathay or virgin as the cheapest flights on the dates required are £815.its all up in the air at the moment and its only 7 weeks until we go.is anybody else out there on our cruise?I AM NOT HOLDING OUT MUCH HOPE AT ALL

we are going or should i say may be going on the far east cruise on the allegra in june,however with oasis going bust they do not know what is happening as yet,are you booked with them?i cannot see us being transferred to cathay or virgin as the cheapest flights on the dates required are £815.its all up in the air at the moment and its only 7 weeks until we go.is anybody else out there on our cruise?I AM NOT HOLDING OUT MUCH HOPE AT ALL

Thankfully I booked air through Costa and am going with Air France...Manchester/Paris/Hong Kong.

Oasis is trying to sort alternative flights out, this dated 14th April on their website...

To make it more convenient for the passengers, we have consolidated the following flight information and know that vacancies are available as of now. We understand that the flights are filling up very, very quickly and we are immediately updating the following details as information comes in. As a large number of passengers are trying to access our call centers at the same time, we urge you to kindly be patient. Passengers can also contact the following airlines’ websites and call centers to enquire about flight bookings:

LONDON ROUTE

Air China

http://www.air-china.hk

Tel: +852-3102-3090 Hong Kong

+44-20-77440800 United Kingdom

Air New Zealand

http://www.airnewzealand.com

Tel: + 852-2862-8968 Hong Kong

0800-028-4149 United Kingdom

British Airways

http://www.ba.com

Tel: +852-2822-9000 Hong Kong

0844-493-0787 United Kingdom

Cathay Pacific

http://www.cathaypacific.com

Tel: +852-2747-1888 Hong Kong

+44(20) 8834-8888United Kingdom

Qantas

http://www.qantas.com

Tel: +852-2822-9000 Hong Kong

0845-7-747-767 United Kingdom

Qatar Airways

http://www.qatarairways.com

Tel: +852-2868-9833 Hong Kong

0870-389-8090 United Kingdom

Singapore Airlines

http://www.singaporeair.com

Tel: +852-2520-2233 Hong Kong

0844-800-2380 United Kingdom

Virgin Atlantic

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com

Tel: +852 2532 6060 Hong Kong

08705-747-747 United Kingdom

0870-190-9090 Upper Class United Kingdom

However, passengers should note that, owing to the airline’s current situation, they will need to meet the cost of these alternate flight arrangements themselves.

For general (non-reservations related) enquiries, please email Oasis at info@oasishongkong.com.

There is also a downloadable claim form too.

Air France flights are also around £800 if booked seperately to the cruise, but were £660 when done through Costa.

GLAD TO HEAR YOU WILL BE OK.WE PAID £1400 each through fasttrack cruises for the whole package,so if they cant get us another flight from gatwick without any extra charge then we wont be going.by the way its my birthday as well on the 16th june should have been in vietnam but will i ever get there?WHAT DO YOU RECKON

GLAD TO HEAR YOU WILL BE OK.WE PAID £1400 each through fasttrack cruises for the whole package,so if they cant get us another flight from gatwick without any extra charge then we wont be going.by the way its my birthday as well on the 16th june should have been in vietnam but will i ever get there?WHAT DO YOU RECKON

If the package is through the agent, they are duty bound to replace the flights and swallow the extra cost. Make a fuss with them, stand your ground...maybe get in touch with Costa and see if they can help in any way with flights...certainly can't help to ask them, can it?

I am on the Allegra twice this year. The 14 night Hong Kong round trip (which I will be having my birthday on board for first time) and then again on the Shanghai round trip for a week in October.

I cannot wait to go...its a part of the world that I have always wanted to explore but thought it would be out of my financial reach, but I am lucky to have a great TA who got me a superb deal on a single cabin :)

In 2009 I am taking Classica from Dubai to Singapore...my TA got the last single cabin 4 days after the cruise was released :eek:

Hi Goldryder

I was intersted to see that you are travelling solo and that Costa have single cabins. What was the surcharge on a normal twin cabin? A lot of cruise lines chrage 50% or more.

Hi Goldryder

I was intersted to see that you are travelling solo and that Costa have single cabins. What was the surcharge on a normal twin cabin? A lot of cruise lines chrage 50% or more.

Some of the ships, such as Allegra, Marina, Classica & Romantica have single cabins and the others its a twin cabin on single occupancy.

As to the surcharge, on the twins it is tween 150 and 200%, probably dependent on the itinerary/ship. My single cabin on Allegra and subsequently for my two Classica cruises next year didn't seem heavy on surcharging...infact I am not sure that there was one, tbh, as they are specifically single cabins & not twins used as singles (if that makes any sense). Put it this way, my Allegra in June 2008 and Classica in October 2009 came to less than £2000 and my March Classica came to £2200...and all including flights from Costa as a package.

Archived