Seward

travelteach326

We have a group cruise leaving on Celebrity's Millenium on 8/1/08. Some of us are doing our own land portion and will arrive in the town of Seward on our own without the help of Celebrity transfers.

I have a few questions for those of you who traveled on Celebrity out of Seward this past summer:

How far away is the Alaska Railroad Depot from the Cruise Terminal? Is t a taxi ride or a long walk with luggage?

If I took an Alaskan Travel bus from Anchorage was the port within walking distance or a taxi ride?

What time does Celebrity allow you to board the ship? Our official time to board the Millenium is 6:00PM.:)

Can I bring more than two bottles of wine on board? Were the people at the check in/x-ray station strick about what you brought on board?

We have a group cruise leaving on Celebrity's Millenium on 8/1/08. Some of us are doing our own land portion and will arrive in the town of Seward on our own without the help of Celebrity transfers.

I have a few questions for those of you who traveled on Celebrity out of Seward this past summer:

How far away is the Alaska Railroad Depot from the Cruise Terminal? Is t a taxi ride or a long walk with luggage?

If I took an Alaskan Travel bus from Anchorage was the port within walking distance or a taxi ride?

What time does Celebrity allow you to board the ship? Our official time to board the Millenium is 6:00PM.:)

Can I bring more than two bottles of wine on board? Were the people at the check in/x-ray station strick about what you brought on board?

I don't know the answer to your question because we traveled in reverse (we were picked up by our tour operator at our ship, did a scenic cruise, and then were transferred to the train). I just wanted to comment that if you haven't considered the Kenai Fjords boat tour, I highly recommend. We really enjoyed riding the train too.

Have a great trip,

Donna

We drove to Seward, so I'm not sure about train/cruise terminal connections. However, I would recommend getting to Seward as early in the day as possible to enjoy the town. The train from Anchorage is supposed to be especially scenic. It leaves downtown Anchorage at 6:45 a.m. and arrives in Seward just after 11 a.m. - just in time for an 11:30-5:30 Kenai Fjords cruise before boarding the ship.

I took the train in August from Anchorage to Seward then walked to the cruise ship terminal. The AKRR will take your luggage and you won't see it again until you are on the ship so that is good - you only have your carry on luggage to deal with. It is a good 10 minute walk from the train depot but flat. I checked in and dropped off my luggage before noon (my stateroom was not ready but I was able to leave the luggage in the room). Then I got something to eat then headed back into the town.

If you take the Kenai Fjords boat tour as NancyIL suggested, they will meet you at the train depot and keep any luggage for you while you are on the boat. I would also highly recommend doing this. The only reason I didn't is because I had done it just 6 weeks earlier.

I am not famiilar with the bus.

I don't think they are very strict about the wine you can bring on board. I guess you could put two bottles in the case you leave with the AKRR and bring two with you when you check in. They wouldn't really know and I don't think they really care. There is a pretty decent-size liquor store attached to the Safeway in town, very close to the train depot.

John

Archived