How Safe is the Safe?

gojanie

You just slide any (magnetic strip) card thru the slot, like you would in a store with a credit card. The safe beeps, green light goes on, and it opens. To close, hold safe shut, slide card, safe beeps, red light shows it is locked. That's it!

I must be missing something. I don't understand how any card can be used to lock the safe?

I only know of safes where you make a 'number' code.

When you get to your room, the safe will be open. You close the safe and then swipe a card with a magnetic strip. The swipe will lock the safe. The safe cannot be opened unless the card that locked it is swiped again. Get it?

ok thanks!!

So I guess what everyone is saying is to use a card that you dont need anymore. Not your credit card, incase it ruins the strip?

Exactly. Finished gift card, hotel key card, etc. I use my first S&S card from a couple of years ago.

I always use an old used up gift card to lock the safe. I leave my cash, cell phone, wallet in there. I usually only take inexpensive jewelry on a cruise, so I don't usually bother with putting that in. We've never had a problem with anything going missing. I usually take the card with me. I've never tried to hide it in the room.

On my last cruise, on the morning of disembarkation, I tried to open the safe with my gift card and it wouldn't work. Somehow, I had managed to demagnetize the strip, not sure how I did it. I made a call to the purser's desk and they sent someone up pretty quickly (I guess they wanted us off the ship :D ). She had a master pass key that unlocked the safe and I had to sign a log sheet showing that I had requested the safe to be unlocked. I was just thankful that they were able to get it open for me. Just imagine trying to do a 12 hour drive home without buying gas or trying to get through customs with documentation!

So, take it from me--the card can easily be demagnetized. If I had used a credit card, I would have had to go to all the hassle of replacing it.

We have never had a problem with our safe. But we never bring expensive jewlery when we travel anywhere. Better be safe then sorry.

The only thing we keep in the ship's safe is the extra credit cards and extra cash. I leave all my real jewelry including my engagement ring in the safe deposit box in the bank. At home.

Archived