Have u used BCP's to avoid period on vacation?

bnsilly

Have you ever used birth control pills to keep from having a period during your vacation? I am not on BCP's, but was thinking about taking them in order to manipulate my period so that I wouldn't have to worry about that while on vacation..Has anyone done this????

I have done it a few times and plan to do it again for our upcoming cruise. The difference is I have been on them for 5 year. I started them for heavy periods but whether or not its heavy theres nothing worse than it arriving during your holiday.

Best thing to do is go talk to you GP. Apparently there is something you can be prescribed for that purpose if BCP are not suitable for you.

Have you ever used birth control pills to keep from having a period during your vacation? I am not on BCP's, but was thinking about taking them in order to manipulate my period so that I wouldn't have to worry about that while on vacation..Has anyone done this????

Your post title just struck me as funny since I work for a company that manufactures BCP's (Belt Cleaning Products for mines). My first thought when reading your post was "Why would anyone use a BCP to control their periods?":eek:

Thanks for the link and the help...

I think I will just skip this idea as I am very light and very regular and I am afraid the pills would mess that up, plus it would only be the last couple days of my vacation....thanks though

If you don't have to take them, then i wouldn't. Just more hormones in your system than you need if you are regular. When i came off of them, my once regular, clockwork cycle (it was that way BEFORE i went on BCPs)was (& still is) all crazy!!! Ya just can't win sometimes!

I've done it several times (with my doctor's approval) and had no problems but I've been on oral contraceptives for ~15 years....As with any decision like this, discuss with your doctor (I realize the OP has made up her mind, but, you know, for anyone else who might be thinking about this option;) )

I booked our first cruise in August. We sail January 6th. Not having any idea when I might get my period I planned on getting on the BCP. I went to my doctor and we set up my plan. I have no need for the pill since I got my tubes tied over two years ago but I was not about to risk getting my period on the cruise. Sometimes it shows up at the worst possible time. I started a new pack at the end of October and will stay on through my cruise and then stop it until our next cruise of course:) . Each person is so different so you will get so many responses, for me it just is peace of mind to not have to worry about getting it on our cruise. Have a wonderful cruise.

I have used BCP during a vacation. I don't need to take them, so I just take them to re-schedule my period. No way am I going to spend a ton of money and have to worry about that time of month! My doctor schedules it with me, and I have never had any problems. I will be giving my doctor a call a few months before my May cruise.

well I am beyond that now but I did do that once many years ago,I think it was our 10th anniversary, so I would not have THAT, while we were away just the two of us.

My hubby was already fixed so I did not need the pills for birth control, but at the time my SIL worked for an OBGYN and she was able to get me some sample packets. Now it is okay and most DRs are understanding but back then they would give you a lecture about it, that pills were not safe and I did not need them as my hubby was fixed so let nature take it's course, etc.

Times have changed for the better for sure! My daughter's was stopped with that shot for 2 years, because of her endemetrious, since she had very painfull preiods, the DR simply eliminated the periods! butunfortunately, she could not continue the shots because of other side effects.

A little background: I'm 27 and have been on birth control pills for 6 or 7 years now.

With the advice of my gyno, I take 3 months' worth of active drug pills in a row before taking a week off and having a period. It's fantastic for lots of reasons. Not having 12 periods a year being the #1. Plus there's no problem continuing an extra a week or two of active pills for "life scheduling" things. I've had no ill-effects from doing this method.

Always check with your doctor before "changing it up" though!

Yes. Went and saw my Dr. last month to do this. My period comes 4-5 days early every month, so I knew it would be here while sailing.:eek: Did not want that at all. Dr. gave me a low dose pill and every thing should be good.

I tried this trip last year before a 14 day cruise to Northern Europe. What a distaster. In doing it, the unexpected showed up the day of departure and lasted 28 days..longer than the cruise. Never again plan to play with nature.

I tried this trip last year before a 14 day cruise to Northern Europe. What a distaster. In doing it, the unexpected showed up the day of departure and lasted 28 days..longer than the cruise. Never again plan to play with nature.

How unfortunate! Stories like yours are why I say--never try anything for the first time on vacation (from new shoes to new drugs to, well--you get the picture) Had you been on the Pill normally before that? Some people have issues with changing up hormones--know you know:rolleyes:

Archived